• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 0 w/ USB Flash drives in Vista?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was playing with this as well a few months ago, I was trying to flip the removable bit on my flash drive so that I could partition it and make the second partition visible under windows. Turns out that alot of drives have this "removable" bit in the firmware someplace, and only some of them can be flipped. I ruined a 16GB flash drive doing this lol. I'm not sure exactly what happened to it, because it would fail to reformat, and windows would only detect the drive if you disabled it in device manger and the re enabled it.

I tried checking the drive's file system layout with a hex editor and it all appeared to be okay, so using one of those utilities must have damaged the actual controller or firmware of the drive.

This was a serious pain in the @ss and I ended up abanoding the idea. Vista is very persistant that you cannot Raid 0 removeable disks unless you hack the Registry, create a new driver for your thumb drives, and go from there. I eventually got it to work, but it would clear the drive on reboot :( I ended up giving up on the idea -- stupid microsoft.

Sounds perfect for a swap file/temporary files. I already tried the driver hack using old MicroDrive drivers, but alas won't work in win7 :(
Can you share the details/references of how you made it work.
I have 10 identical drives sitting here, waiting to be RAIDed.

I also put up a thread on TPF a few days ago, though it kinda went OT :)

Last edited:
Well ChipGenius helped me find the vendor tools for my drives and after some intense google-fu I got them off a russian site
The tool happily flipped the RMB on the drives and yes, they come up as fixed now, but....wait for it......win7 won't use dynamic disks over USB....aaaargh!
Though it'll happily partition them :/

Any hacks for dynamic USB drives on Win7?

Back