• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MacBook Folding: Undervolting...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is_907

So, I've read a *lot* about undervolting laptops to decrease heat and wear on the fans but I can not find any software to undervolt a MacBook besides CoolBook, which costs $10 to use.

Does anyone have advice on alternative to CoolBook or other cheap (free), easy solutions to this heat problem?
I can get 1100ppd from this MacBook but I only want to fold at night... but I don't want it to sit at 85C the whole time, either.

So, I've read a *lot* about undervolting laptops to decrease heat and wear on the fans but I can not find any software to undervolt a MacBook besides CoolBook, which costs $10 to use.

Does anyone have advice on alternative to CoolBook or other cheap (free), easy solutions to this heat problem?
I can get 1100ppd from this MacBook but I only want to fold at night... but I don't want it to sit at 85C the whole time, either.

I understand your concern, my Mini gets a little toasty:

Code:
2008-10-16 12:30:36 -0700

Ambient Air:                      50.0
CPU A Heatsink:                 66.0
CPU A Temp Diode:             88.0
Northbridge Position 1:        54.0
Northbridge Position 2:        55.0
SMART Disk ST96812AS       47.0
CPU Core 1:                       82.0
CPU Core 2:                       83.0

I get nervous when the CPU temp diode goes past 90C+, but I use SmcFanControl to bump up fans speeds, works quite well.

But, as for undervolting- coolbook is the only way I've heard of.

There is a program called smcfancontrol that allows you to manually adjust your fan speeds. My macbook pro went from ~80c to ~65c by changing fan speeds from ~3k rpm to ~6k rpm. You could also use a cookie cooling rack to place your macbook on to increase airflow. I usually just tilt mine by putting a coaster on one side... but this is a work laptop so if it dies... oh well :beer:

I've thought about using one of those cheap Antec lappy coolers...
smcfancontrol is great but my fan already jumps to 6.2k rpm on its own when i start the F@H client.

I may end up buying CoolBook since it's the only option I've seen =/ I just hate paying for a program that there's a ton of free versions for in Windows and Linux.

Back