• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got Rosetta and CLI working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is_907

Just wanted everyone to know that I'm now officially crunching R@H ;)
Took forever to get the CLI (boinccmd) version to work right... basically it hates me.

Anyway, my P3 Coppermine 1GHz is going at it full throttle.

OK, Ian! :cool:

Now, how about some Rosetta time on that C2D and Quad core! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You know we're grateful for whatever you can spare, but I had to ask. :burn: :burn: :burn:

I'm thinking about it on the MacBook... this seems a lot less CPU intensive than F@H (which I am *not* running on the MacBook)
My only concern is that I'd prefer to only have the MB crunching at night...
would I miss work unit deadlines that way?

I'm thinking about it on the MacBook... this seems a lot less CPU intensive than F@H (which I am *not* running on the MacBook)
My only concern is that I'd prefer to only have the MB crunching at night...
would I miss work unit deadlines that way?

In your preferences*, set it so your work units will be 4 hours (approx.) long. That way, whatever doesn't finish one night, will be sure to finish up the next night.

You should have no trouble making deadlines, that way.

Watch your temps, though. If your cpu temp is above 65 C, while folding (either FAH or Rosetta), I wouldn't fold on that computer.

Heat is the enemy of computer longevity.

*In BOINC, you can have global or local preferences. The local preferences you can set for each rig you have, by using the pull down menu's in BOINC. The global preferences (which apply to all your rigs except those with local preferences), you view and set by clickiing on the "project" tab, and then clicking on the "Your Preferences" button on the left hand side of the page.

I think I might have found a nice solution... in my global prefs override (what you call local preferences... difference term for CLI, I guess...) I set that this machine use only 50% of my CPU. Dropped from ~75C to 55-60C then my fans spun down so I upped my fanspeed and now I'm in good shape. ;)

I'm going to play this configuration out for a while and see if it meets my standards. Otherwise, I may have to do a timeshare on the QuadCore between Rosetta and Folding, hehe (=

EDIT:
I rescind my previous statement. There is no way to Crunch or Fold on this MacBook without burning my crotch or running the fans at full throttle and still toasting my lap. Oh well...

Last edited:
Back