• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A new PDA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colton H

Haven't bought a PDA for awhile now but was needing a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions? Price is not a option.

ou_phidelt is right - you might want to look at a smart phone. They have become just as powerful as many of the more traditional PDAs.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of progress in the PDA front in easily five years. They don't shift as many units as they used to.

ipod touch? (actually I think it may be the closest thing to a new pda out there). runs apps, has a really slick datebook, wifi access, lots more cool stuff.

do you want a PDA out of need for something smaller and more portable than a laptop? if you want smaller but not necessarily tiny, you might want to look into netbooks.

ou_phidelt is right - you might want to look at a smart phone. They have become just as powerful as many of the more traditional PDAs.

I would extend this to say that smartphones have largely supplanted PDAs. Smartphone models and markets are expanding rapidly, while stand-alone PDA markets and models are shrinking just as fast.

Smartphones run the same OS, memory and processor as PDAs, but they combine all of the functions of a PDA with those of a high-end cell phone. My HTC touch is smaller, lighter and more powerful than any PDA I owned in the past and is far more functional.

^ HTC is amazing :D I loved my TyTN until it committed suicide by jumping right out of my hand into the floor at speed and broke itself. No really, I was just an innocent bystander...

It was FAR more functional than my HP hx4700 I used before. Just the fact that you have internet on the go without the need to use battery draining bluetooth and another cellphone makes it infinitely better than any standalone PDA. The full slide out keyboard was perfect too. No more carrying around a floding bluetooth keyboard or trying to type a report on the point of a stylus.

hafa, your sig link doesn't work after the new OC site went up ;)

hafa, your sig link doesn't work after the new OC site went up ;)

Thanks for the heads up, aja; link revised.

The thing I like best about the touch is the lack of a big, bulky, heavy built-in keyboard; I never used it on every smartphone that I had in the past that had one. I've always been a fan of the natural writing via the MS transcriber, but the ROM that our service provider chose removed it for some retarded reason. I ended up buying calligrapher for it. Works a bit better than the transcriber, but at a cost...

PDA's are no more. I have a Dell Axim V that collects dust. Can't justify the bulk when my Razr does nearly all I need. Calendar, contacts and games.

I'm really looking at the T-Mobile G-1 with Google Android installed. Pretty cool stuff. More apps will be available in the near future.

At the risk of being flamed forever... do check out the iPhone. If you go with a MobileMe account you get Push email, contacts, and calendar without going through Outlook and an Exchange server (although that is an option if, say, you have that at work.)

I'm an intern at my university's IT department and the entire IT staff have iPhones synched with our Exchange server for contacts, email, and calendar (they use Outlook / Entourage on their computers) and it's great.
Personally I have MobileMe because they don't give Exchange accounts to interns ;)

Good stuff, lots of options, and the price is very reasonable.

At the risk of being flamed forever... do check out the iPhone. If you go with a MobileMe account you get Push email, contacts, and calendar without going through Outlook and an Exchange server (although that is an option if, say, you have that at work.)

I'm an intern at my university's IT department and the entire IT staff have iPhones synched with our Exchange server for contacts, email, and calendar (they use Outlook / Entourage on their computers) and it's great.
Personally I have MobileMe because they don't give Exchange accounts to interns ;)

Good stuff, lots of options, and the price is very reasonable.

Unfortunately, this won't help those who use Outlook as a stand-alone application, i.e., sans exchange server.

As far as Apple goes, I'll not flame you, as the link in my sig says it all ;)

Using Outlook by itself is fine if you subscribe to a push service like MobileMe (I use it in Thunderbird on my Windows machine.) Or, you can just deal with using fetch (you can have it fetch like every 10 minutes... virtually the same as Push just with more power consumption.)

As for the link your sig... it's very outdated. Also, this is not the place for us to debate such things ;) To each their own, remember? If a product meets a user's needs, great. If not, find something else. (I'm trying to figure out if Android can run on my iPhone, btw...)

I use an AT&T Tilt. It's a decent PDA and if you run a cooked ROM you get pretty good functionality. The standard OS builds from AT&T suck though.

i use my iphone like a pda. i run my own exchange server at home so i have it connecting with that. push email is pretty sweet. sometimes i even get mail on my phone before outlook (if i even have it open). i jot down notes on it, i do minor web browsing, play the occasional game, listen to music and i can check out google maps which is great.

one thing that i do not have it do is sync my contacts. i am guessing that i do not have the bandwidth that is really required because every time i would open my contacts when synchronized with exchange, it would take like 30 seconds to just open my contacts. for me, that isn't a huge deal as i do not add new people to my contacts very often.

really when it comes to a new pda, it just depends on what all you use it for/what you want to use it for.

Last edited:
i have a HTC mogul 6800 from work, i am lost without it sometimes.

its got a cooked rom to look similar to the HTC Touch (it has TouchFlo and all the goodies)

Back