• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software wanted to throttle my server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

Ok so I just got my own server collocated and payed for a mb line burstable to 100mb.

Is there software out there to make sure I keep total data (upload+download) at 1000kbps or a little lower? Im running a FTP server with friends and most have 7Mbps cable connections so I don't want to incure overage fees with my host.

I tried some searches but didn't see what I wanted, alot on throttling BT tho, lol.

1. What OS?
2. What FTP server are you using? Filezilla can do this on a per user or per group basis

Whoops sorry, Server 2003 Std. (the one they give students now) and for FTP I am running Xlight FTP Server. I actually liked it better than filezilla, expecially since it was having a problem showing directorys... :screwy:

I have limited the FTP server software to 850kbps, but what I worry is if someone pulls a big download off Apache. Its a web/ftp/dev server.

Whoops sorry, Server 2003 Std. (the one they give students now) and for FTP I am running Xlight FTP Server. I actually liked it better than filezilla, expecially since it was having a problem showing directorys... :screwy:

I have limited the FTP server software to 850kbps, but what I worry is if someone pulls a big download off Apache. Its a web/ftp/dev server.

I bet the problem showing directories was related to passive versus active mode. Its a common problem.

So which are you trying to limit? FTP or apache? I think apache has some mods to do this.

by the looks of it he's trying to limit apache cheator :)

i'll look into my apache configs on my cent box and see what i can come up with

edit: there is a BW limiter in *nix, however, for windows apache 1 has the bw mod you want i think. as far as i can see 2 does not.

edit 2 : wait wait!!! i thin i found one for you http://bwmod.sourceforge.net/# there is a windows version, try that

Last edited:
Well your both kinda right. I was hoping there was something to limit bandwidth between those 2 programs. I know with FTP I can limit and I now know I can limit bw in apache. The thing is I was hoping there was some program that could limit all data going through my network card.

Back