• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Folding Eating my Overall Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is_907

So I get a grand 5.3k ppd with the GPU2 client on my 9800GT but my desktop performance almost goes out the window.
I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 and my Q6600 is crunching Rosetta@Home... but I doubt that's the problem because as soon as I pause the GPU2 client my desktop graphical issues clear up.

Basically I get sluggish window movement and rendering. If I have a browser open over Digsby or Xchat then switch to one of those programs the browser window contents lag inside the xchat/digsby window for a few second.
Window dragging is really bad, too.

I tried using the "Windows Classic" theme but had the same issues.
Really want to throttle back the GPU2 client usage... make it run at 75% while I'm at the computer and 100% when I'm afk but there's no option for that.

Any ideas?

Just make sure that in your task manager you can set the priority to low for the Rosetta Clients

And in your Boinc manager Set it to use a bit less resources when you are actually using the computer
eg 75% that should help.

I don't think Rosetta is the problem, though. If I pause F@H GPU but leave BOINC/Rosetta running I'm full tilt, it's fine.

It's the GPU2 client. Mine does the same thing. I have to pause it when I want to do real work or watch video. The GPU2 client comes with the usual disclaimer saying it's cutting edge beta software. So running it on your main rig, means you put up or shut up. Having said that, hopefully they'll fix this in later releases or in a non-beta release.

dark bishop: right. I'm just hoping the next GPU client will have an option to not be so intense all the time ;)
I love the results GPU folding gets but I only want it running full tilt when i'm not using the system, too.

I was just hoping there was an alternative in the mean time while they work on this feature in a future version of the client. Oh well.

being in xp i don't have the same slow down in normal desktop mode, but when i game i have to kill my gpu0 console client or i get like ~35fps.

I experience the same thing on my daily use machines when using Media Player or Google earth. It can take minutes to move the cursor to the buttons to minimize or close either application to get to the FAH window to turn off FAH GPU. If you had two GPUs in the machine, you'd only have to turn one off to make the lag go away. :D Later drivers are supposed to be better. Try 178.24 WHQL if you haven't upgraded already. It doesn't help at all with Google earth. In fact my Q6600 was running so slow I thought it had frozen up.

Heh, I do have the 178.24's, Chas.
This would be a good excuse for another vid card... too bad I'd have to get a new mobo, too ;)
And I'd just end up running two GPU clients! :beer:

Oh well, I'll just wait for improvement in the client/drivers.

p.s. The weird thing is I can run Call of Duty just fine while the GPU client (and the Rosetta client) are running. They know to throttle down... just the GPU client doesn't recognise how intense Vista's requirements are. Oh well.

The idea is to run two clients and turn one off while you use the machine. Turn it back on when you quit using it. You'll always be making 5000 ppd and more when idle. :)

I accidentally fired up CS:source last night with the GPU2 client and CPU client both running full tilt at 100% CPU usage, and suprisingly everything was fine. Game ran smoothly and no errors, PPD took a signifcant hit of course but suprised how well it ran.

This is with WinXP though.

Yeah, it is nice to know that I can leave Rosetta and GPU2 client running with some games... less hassle to un-pause them when i finish gaming ;)

I accidentally fired up CS:source last night with the GPU2 client and CPU client both running full tilt at 100% CPU usage, and suprisingly everything was fine. Game ran smoothly and no errors, PPD took a signifcant hit of course but suprised how well it ran.

This is with WinXP though.

Ditto... I've run UT3 whilst GPU Folding and found it to be quite tolerable. Just a small hitch once in a while... it's fine for single player, but when I'm LAN'ing with my friends I like to know my GPU is dedicated to turning them into a bloody carcass. :D

Funny thing was I was scrimming lol. CS:S 5v5 and I didn't even notice till I closed the game later. FPS was around 150 instead of the usual 200-300 but no percievable hitches.

Even with Aero running, on Vista, I don't notice any desktop lag. I can even play video without any problems. This is running 2 GPU2 and 2 VMs on this machine. I do need to shut off 1 GPU2 to play portal without lag.

Of course I'm also running 8GB RAM.

If running Vista, turn off AERO. You can run the windows Vista Basic scheme and that will help a bit with the OS lag. I noticed dramatic improvements with OS responsiveness by turning off AERO when GPU2 folding.
I have only noticed the exact opposite effect. Runing Vista Basic gives me bad lag in everything on the desktop, whilst running Aero without blur gives me a very smooth experience. Probably because Aero is set to a higher affinity, and goes above the GPU client, just like games.

I have Vista 32 bit and with GPU folding everything runs perfectly fine, till i tried playing TF2 and wondering why my FPS was 100 instead of 200 lol

I would give a lot of credit to the Source engine. It is very efficient given the level of detail it can provide and does not seem to have very high system requirement as a result. I would assume running any non Source games would have a larger negative effect when dealing with such system stresses.

Even in Linux I have to shut off the GPU client to avoid GUI slow downs while I'm using the computer. Although it isn't that bad when I leave it on, I still would rather have the smoothness restored to my system and give the SMP client a chance to catch up.

When I game I generally have to boot back to windows, so all folding is off. And Wine isn't efficient enough to let me keep folding either. But if you fold 24/7 then it isn't much to ask for some down time so you can enjoy your expensive hardware.

Back