• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new hard drive problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ric2L

I'm trying to replace the hard drive in a Dell XPS400 computer that was given to me, with a Western Digital 640GB (WD6400AAKS). I went to W/D website and down loaded there program to setup and transfer info from origional HDD to the new one. It took a while, but finally got all info to transfer.

However when I try to boot from the new HDD I get the following message from the Boot screen:

(Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.)

Any suggestions? I did'nt get any manuals with the comp, & have know idea where to start trying to figure this out in windows. The comp boots fine with both HDD's installed or just the origional one. Device Manager shows both HDD's working properly, in Disk Management both HDD's show healthy and active. MY computer shows the origional disk as Local Disk C,and the new one as DRV4_Vol1 F.

I would think that after copying one to the other I should be able to plug the new drive into the origional sata connector and it would boot, but this is this is not the case, and I'm lost & confused. Please help

I'm not sure of all the prompts in WD's software, but I'd try it again and make sure the drive is selected to be bootable as a simple file copy won't do the job.

yea that was the problem, I didnt make it bootable, after running it a second time i saw my mistake, now everything is good, old HDD is out of computer new one is working great so far. thanks Tuskenraider!

Back