• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this safe? Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slb785

I got my Q6600 stable up to 3.5ghz. But need a pretty damn high vcore @ 1.5v

My PC is off more than its on but i do use it mainly for gaming and i will have it on for 6-8 hours at a time maybe 5-6 days a week. Is a vcore that high safe to have my pc running that much? I get 30-35C idle temps and under full load w/ prime95 it jumps to 45-50C and ive never seen higher than 51.

Ive read a bunch about how temps are the only thing that matter but that seems like a lot of voltage and im a little worried. Im still using air cooling w/ my Zalman 9700 and AS5

Intel states "absolute maximum" Vcc for the Q6600 is 1.55v, so in your case at 1.5v and reasonable temp's you should be fine. When you run Prime, are you either running four instances of the program, or are you running the latest version which opens four threads for you automatically (are all four cores being stressed)? It's hard to believe that w/ only a Zalman 9700 HSF and at a Vcc of 1.5v, your load temp's are only 45 - 50C w/ a quad. Here's a link to the Intel datasheet for the Q6600 in case you're interested...

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31559205.pdf

It opens 4 threads, one for each core stressing them 100% each.

Heres a question i just got though. I overclocked the cpu from 3.2 to 3.5, and the only thing i changed besides that was my RAM timings from 5 4 4 15 to 6 6 6 18. Now my 3dmark06 score only went up about 200 to about 16200. Would changing the RAM timings be the cause of not getting much of an increase in my 3dmark score? I was expecting at least a 17k or maybe even an 18k score

What frequency is your RAM running at, what's your current FSB / NB strap, and why did you loosen the timings to 6-6-6-18 from 5-4-4-15?

Ram is set at 420mhz
FSB is 378mhz w/ CPU mult @ 9x
NB im not sure where to find that

I had to loosen the timings because i wanted to get a better overclock. at 5-4-4-15 the highest i could get was 3.2ghz out of the CPU. When i dropped them to 6-6-6-18 i was able to hit 3.5ghz

They are nice temps with 1.5v.:thup: What is your VID.
What are your ambient temps.
Show us a couple of screen shots while under load with Prime95 ,Core Temp and HWMonitor open, also CPU Z showing Memory Tab.
Just one more thing to get those temps are you living in a fridge.:D

My room is the coldest room in the house and winters well on its way here in michigan. Its usually in the low 60sF in my room (not sure what that is in C) I was kinda shocked to see these temps too and i kinda dont believe em

35ghz-1.jpg

Last edited:
Test with "OCCT", mine were OK with P95 but failed miserably with OCCT test.

Google it :- OCCTPT2.0.0a-[Guru3D.com].exe

What is your BIOS?

see my miserable OC I posted today.
Nick

Could I have my Q6600 B3 @ 3.94ghz?

I have P5Q Pro mobo and The Multiplier is 8 FSB is 438 witch should = 3.5 right?

Well If I right click on My Computer and select Properties and General tab it showes my core @ 3.94 and SiSoftwear Sandra says the same thing, 3.94

I found that that is incorrect. I installed CPU-Z and I am at 3.5 but the multi switches back and forth from 6 to 8. Is that normal?

Last edited:
i have an early q6600 and it loves volts. mine needs 1.48 for 3600, and 1.58 for 3800. i feel comfy with a 1.6v max if your chip is running relatively cool. i try for 65 or under loaded with higher voltage. 1.65 now and then just to see the cpu over voltage warning :) still no luck at 4ghz :bang head

also to answer your question, its showing a different speed because windows is looking at your default multiplyer ;)

well it was unstable. i tried playing crysis and it crashed while loading. same vcore at 3.4ghz, didnt load windows, same vcore at 3.3ghz, crashed. dropped my vcore back down to 1.4 and it runs 100% stable at 3.2ghz... am i missing something here?

Back