• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

400 FSB= Screen flicker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liftedcj7on44s

Ok I havent updated my sig yet but i have a puny little E6300 on a gigabyte ga-p35-ds3r. Right out of the box i overclocked it to 2.5 ghz. Chip runs great this is with 1.35 vcore. So tonight i loosened up my ram timings a bit and pushed for 400 FSB. Booted into windows no problem. After a few seconds my screen would start flashing on and off. I thought it must not be stable. Well i decided to run Orthos on blend and it ran for a good 45 minutes with no errors and then i got tired of seeing the screen flickering on and off. Seems to me that the cpu is stable but something else is going on. Any ideas?

well i just made sure it was at 100mhz and it was on auto. But i am still getting some flickering though. It has only done it a few times at 400 now. Orthos is running in the background on small ffts and its not flickering. Gonna try a few games and see what happens

Last edited:
also if anyone can help me out as i am new to C2D overclocking so all the bios terms are a bit off for me. here is where i am at
settings.jpg

now the memory is only ddr2 667 and i have my ram divider in bios set to the one that lowers my ram speed down the most and as you can see it is now running at ddr2 800.. I need to get it slower so i can try and push farther. what should i do?

have you updated the bios in the motherboard at all? actually lock the pcie speed at 101, after that try a touch more pcie voltage if you can in bios.

Is 7 your maximum CPU multiplier? if not try setting it to the max.

Some Gigabyte boards (and probably others too?) set the NB clock on a divider if the multiplier is not on its max. That would make your NB clock too high...

The Multiplier is locked at 7 (max) I have PCI-E set to +0.1v On this gigabyte board the memory dividers are new to me. It has 2.5, 2.0, and so on so on and i have it set on 2.0 which gives me the slowest ram speed i can get. I havent tried locking the pci-e to 101 but will try today.
Forgot to mention i am using bios F10.

Last edited:
I don't think that ram of yours is up to the task, thus is why you got corrupted driver files..

Did you check each ram divider @ stock cpu speed to see which one actually shows the slowest?

Btw what cheapo ram is it you have?

While in bios i can select each ram divider and it will show me before i boot into windows what speed the ram will be at. all i know about the ram is it is 2 512 sticks of samsung M378T6553CZ3-CE6

loosened up my ram timings to 6 6 6 15 and so far memtest is passing without errors and no flickering so far! been about 15 minutes and so far no flickering, games are playing fine.

Last edited:
Ok does anyone know anything that i can do so i can get this chip to 3ghz. My ram is running about as fast as it can go and i have it on the slowest divider the bios will allow!

I don't think that ram has anything left. You've pretty much maxed it out if you try any more and it fails to boot windows.

You are going to have to get some better ram, preferably some that can do DDR2 1066 speeds. I have an E6300 and it's a little overclocking demon and runs just fine on a 500 fsb. And it has run that high on your model mobo too.

ok cool. I am still sitting at 2.8ghz and i tested orthos on small ffts overnight and all was good. I tried loosening up the ram timings even farther but 3ghz will not happen!

Back