• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vnc to suse linux vm on virtual server 2005 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
I haven't done this in ages and am coming up somewhat retarded. I set up my vm and its running craptastically on virtual server 2005 r2 but the display works fine. I ran the vncserver command to create a login password. I was able to log in from my windows box but once I got in it was like 2 color mode and all I saw was the terminal window.

suse enterprise linux 10.2

How do I get my fullcolor desktop in my vnc window using tightvnc or realvnc?

Thanks

Can I ask why you are not using SSH to administrator the SUSE box?

Can you not use the "console" provided by virtual server 2005?

To the question, try the -depth option to specify color depth. I'm just guessing, but the issues sounds like it is occurring on the VNC server, not the viewer.

I've always used ultravnc, but probably doesn't matter. If your trying to access the suse partition and you need desktop interface, why not install VNC inside the vm, then you can remote into it, and skip the windows level.

Can I ask why you are not using SSH to administrator the SUSE box?

Because I'm just playing, not trying to run a server. As for 2005 R2, the vmserver console viewer's performance sucks. For MS VMs I use RDP which works 1000 times better. I was hoping a vnc view may work slightly better then the console.

Because I'm just playing, not trying to run a server. As for 2005 R2, the vmserver console viewer's performance sucks. For MS VMs I use RDP which works 1000 times better. I was hoping a vnc view may work slightly better then the console.

Did you try to restart the VNCserver by specifying a color depth?

Back