• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Many Clean Their Keyboards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

I use to clean my keyboard alot due to the fact I eat at my computer table and stuff and alot of stuff would fall in there and I would see alot of dirt..

Now I seem to get to a very lazy stage where I just leave it.

How many cleaned their keyboards?
As I mean clean, clean not the one where you take the air spray and spray hehe..

My method of cleaning was taking all the keys out then cleaning them as well as as under the keys...

Well i just took off all my keys and began cleaning it i will post back with pictures soon....

Not me. I'm not taking this thing apart. It's not worth it. If it get's dirty I just go buy another new one.

$20 for a new keyboard is less than 2 hours cleaning a keyboard on the weekend because my family and fishing time is priceless.

Its only been 45 minutes and I've cleaned all my keyboard completely. The way it feels typing feels VERY SMOOTH AND IT MAKES NO NOISE!

Yodums

Yup I used a flat top mini screw drive and put it between the guys and just flick them off and you'll see some going across the room. By the way Rain how is the water block?

I cleaned a keyboard about 2 months ago. It was a HP that was bought retail about 2 - 3 years ago. It has a K6-2 366 and cost over $1000, but thats my dads. I build my puters. I took my keyboard apart to see how I can change the LEDs and all those little plastic things fell out!:mad:

Arctic doing that to mine would have no effect as I have alot of incidents with coke and the keyboard so it was all sticky :D

Yodums

I work for a company that maintains computers. I collect up some of the ones that we replaced and clean them. Most work just fine after a good cleaning. I have been known to put them in the bathtub and hang them from a closeline. A friend of mine puts them in the dishwasher and then puts them in a gas oven with just the pilot light on to dry.

Warning- Only use these methods if you know what you are doing and let them dry before using them. I take no reponsiblity for any damages.

just throw it in the washing machine. i'm with kingslayer on this one. just buy a new one for $15.

I take the electrical stuff out of mine, then stick the housing in the dish washer about once every 6 months. I too eat at my desk as well as smoke, so the gunk builds up. =)

This keyboard gets cleaned out every few months when either some key stops working, or when we get tired of all the dirt built up. It isn't that hard to clean out, just take off all the keys, and then use your handy canned air to blow out all the loose dust and if anything looks REALLY bad, then clean it. Stick the keys back on, and presto! A new keyboard! :D

JigPu

Ridenow said:
I have been known to put them in the bathtub and hang them from a closeline.

I thought I was the only one, ah well I clean everything with water and soap if necessary:p .

**EDIT** I used to buy a new keyboard once a month......I smashed them when I was angry.....my landlord ****ed me of.

Back