• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N32-sli won't shut down fans on standby?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

Just did a clean install of xp pro/sp3 on this machine and now when I enter standby, the drives and monitor go down but the fans continue to whir? It kind of defeats the purpose since they are the only source of noise. By the by, though water cooled, I connected the radiator fan to the cpu fan and there are three additional case fans all using on board fan connectors. I installed the cool'n'quiet hoping that would help but it still does it. any ideas or suggestions?

There have been a lot of reported problems that deal with SP3 and ASUS mobos.

I'll check. I did enable the cool'n'quiet but that didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion.
CnQ adjusts the CPU speed depending on load by changing the CPU multi. Since there is a slight delay between multi's, CnQ will slow down the machine in most applications. Doesn't make much difference for surfing & e-mail but modern games will show a delay in reaction times ...

CnQ adjusts the CPU speed depending on load by changing the CPU multi. Since there is a slight delay between multi's, CnQ will slow down the machine in most applications. Doesn't make much difference for surfing & e-mail but modern games will show a delay in reaction times ...

Disable cool'n quiet? I think so since it's not aircooled it doesn't make a lot of difference.

standby shouldn't alter the voltage going to the case fans, and if theyre not automatically adjusted or on a fan controller then its normal for them to stay at full speed.

yes, disable CnQ, especially if you're going to OC, it usually screws things up otherwise.

Got it! Switched off cool'n'quiet, disabled Q-fan and most importantly, I think, changed suspend mode to S3. I had forgotten about that little tidbit. Now all goes to sleep nicely and is ready in a moments notice.

Thanks for all your input. Couldn't've done it without ya!

I'd have never thought of suspend mode but I'll keep that in mind for the next time. Since my systems never sleep it's something I've never used, though I did play with CnQ for awhile - even OC'ed it worked.

Glad you figured out the problem ...! :):thup:

Back