• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I found a way to track fake people/internet scammers on Yahoo Messenger!! WOOT!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!
I am so happy right now. This was my first successfull track. I feel like I hacked into a scammer's PC even though no hacking was involved but I totally fooled this person and busted them today!! WOW, I am so excited this worked. :bday:

OK here is the story. I am on those online dating sites sometimes. By the way, I'm writing a book about it some of my successes and problems I've run into. One of the most common things your run into on the dating sites are internet scammers that lie. They use all sorts of tricks...stealing photos from model's websites, copy and pasting blogs, using Google street view to name things at the place they say they are from... :mad:

Anyway, I looked up a trace program to find info on people you are chatting with. It works like this. You set up a free account with the trace website chatrack.frihost.net The website gives you a link to copy and paste into chat. The link is a picture of a flower or a car. Once the person on the other end clicks on that link, you have ALL thier info!!! Cool huh?

Here is the internet scammer's info:

Track no : 1 Time of Tracking: 28 Oct 2008, 11.27 pm (server time)
Remote Location Information
Tracked IP: 116.xx.xxx.xxx
Near City: MAKATI
Latitude:14.xxxx
Longitude: 121.xxxx
Link Type used: FLOWER
Remote System Information
Tracked Browser / OS : Firefox 3 on Windows
Remote Computer time: 12 : 35 AM

EDITED for privacy content - WarriorII

Last edited by a moderator:
Well overall I think the point is that a dating service would use local people.... its hard to date someone in the philippines while living in the US.

unless this said person is really ... really desperate to get a green card, some people will do just about anything (mail order brides, etc....)

Well overall I think the point is that a dating service would use local people.... its hard to date someone in the philippines while living in the US.

The overall point is that you can catch a scammer in a lie and figure out if that really hot girl you are talking to is for real. Most of the time they will post fake pictures, say they live in the USA somewhere, say they are chatting with you from the USA, and all sorts of other stuff and it's hard to verify because some of them are very convincing.

When you talk to someone and they say, "I had dinner at Pasta Trattoria last night on 49th street in New york... the one with the red tarp at the front door. Mmmm it smells so good. Coming from my room across the street at the Radio City Apartments." Sounds very convincing huh even though they have never been there in thier life. They steal information from blogs, google street view, and other places to fool people.

I just got an e-mail back from the admin thanking me. The scammer I busted had 6 different accounts on this website!! haha All those poor guys/gals that were getting scammed...

The overall point is that you can catch a scammer in a lie and figure out if that really hot girl you are talking to is for real. Most of the time they will post fake pictures, say they live in the USA somewhere, say they are chatting with you from the USA, and all sorts of other stuff and it's hard to verify because some of them are very convincing.

When you talk to someone and they say, "I had dinner at Pasta Trattoria last night on 49th street in New york... the one with the red tarp at the front door. Mmmm it smells so good. Coming from my room across the street at the Radio City Apartments." Sounds very convincing huh even though they have never been there in thier life. They steal information from blogs, google street view, and other places to fool people.

I just got an e-mail back from the admin thanking me. The scammer I busted had 6 different accounts on this website!! haha All those poor guys/gals that were getting scammed...

Time to start a buisness and get hired by dating sites :)

what happens when a person uses proxies to mask their IP?

true, allot of people do use anonymity servicess..but i don't think most do, cause most dont care, i would think most people using proxies, want to hide something....I.e they are not who they say they are, not to be stereo-typical, but most women on dating sites, prob barely know how to use their computer.

match.com and the high end dating sites don't have this. All the other ones like mate1.com, etc. have tons of them southeast azns.

New question...

I was chatting with a girl tonight that swore up and down that she was from Waco Texas but when I tried my new trick, it showed her location as Nashville TN. I sent her an E-Mail of the flower picture before we even got on chat and she clicked on it, getting all her info. The girl I'm talking to claims she doesn't know about the internet to use a proxy or anything like that. So A: She is lying or B: There must be another explanation?

Is there any way possible that IP tracker could be wrong and locate her in Nashville? Could she be telling the truth that she is in Waco Texas not using any kind of proxy or trick, (Just a average user of IE7), but the IP being tracked to Nashville?

Here is the info...maybe the IP is correct but the tracker said Nashville but was wrong and it is a Waco Texas IP??? Can anyone verify it's in Nashville?

Remote Location Information
Tracked IP: 71.xxx.xxx.25
Near City: NASHVILLE
Latitude:36.xxxx
Longitude: -86.xxxx
Link Type used: FLOWER
Remote System Information
Tracked Browser / OS : Internet Explorer 7 on Windows
Remote Computer time: 10 : 1 PM

EDITED for content - WII

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,

This is great info, please just don't post someones IP addy.

Even though it may be a "bad guy", it's still a privacy thing.

If you have info & need some help tracking / dealing with a "Bad Guy", Please PM me, Sam, or Krag. (the same with Trolls)

TIA,
WII

PS - The last Thread I came across that spoke of Tracking a person illegally, the guy got a 3 day vacation.

Please be careful at what is disclosed here.

It turns out this person was another scammer...instead of being from the usual locations like Russia or Nigeria, it was from Tennessee this time.

Tom,

Even though it may be a "bad guy", it's still a privacy thing.

No such thing. If that was the case public records would not be public records. ( beat your husban, get busted for drugs, ect)
The internet is a MASSIVE public record.
If someone is a scam then it should be posted and this person should be blasted.
On the flip side if someone says someone is scamming and its not true that person should be blasted.
If your on the internet then your in the public eye. If you feel the need to privacy then you must be doing something that is bad.

Respect is a hole different issue.

Warrior im not trying to dismiss anything. Im pointing out what is true and what has been held up. Finding a I.P. is a cake walk. You all do it all the time. You see everyone I.P.
So if you feel its a "privacy thing" stop looking at my I.P.

BTW TommyHolly thanks for posting this up. Its always funny to see how fake some people are. They think they can hide behind a computer and do anything they want with out a bad effect.
Let us know how the book is coming!

Ok Hank,

I just ask be careful at what is posted while on this topic.

& yeah, I can LOOK at your IP (not that I peek)
but I don't capture it & post it.

It's not public for everyone here to see.
You don't want me posting it? right?

Have half the OCF site show up for lunch tomorrow?
the other 1/2 on Saturday.....

I know it's NOT illegal, but it IS a touchy subject and can be strewed easily.

Just be careful is all I'm asking.
A Troll is a Troll. report them.
Let the people who handle these things know & get the word out.

Thank you for helping too. ;)

& yeah, I can LOOK at your IP (not that I peek)
but I don't capture it & post it.

It's not public for everyone here to see.
You don't want me posting it? right?

I know it's NOT illegal, but it IS a touchy subject and can be strewed easily.

Feel free to post it. If someone shows up they can make my day. (colorado law)

Warrior I know your a heck of a guy. I know that you have a good heart behind this. I see the intent.
I hate to see people use the system to there advantage to lie, cheat and steal.

So lets not turn the pot and make it as clear as day and night. I have seen many dishonest people sell stuff online. hell its happened to me a few times on ebay.

I worked for a phone company for a while. I could find many people and get much info. This was a good tool. I did not use it to hurt anyone. Just to keep the leads fresh. So i too had a powerful tool.

It comes down to where is your head and heart in this issue? what is your intent? Is it selfish or righteous cause?
A i.p. is a easy thing to find. and its easy too to see how people got here. Its way to easy to trace people. They might of found us through a link on google or a link on a different forum ect.
its so easy. I think most people have no idea and if they did they would be much more careful.

Warrior I love you babe!
Thanks for your time and putting up with my crap.
Love the biggest stud on the OC forums next to super nade
hank123

You don't see any moral problem with tricking people into disclosing their information to a third party that exists for the sole purpose of obtaining information that allows you to directly address their computer with whatever intent you may have? There is a reason that messenger services and forums don't let you see the other people using them. Once Joe Random has an IP address and decides he wants to be a ****, all it takes is 15 minutes of googling to find some way to exploit the remote machine. It is very much a privacy issue. This isn't the old west. You aren't the judge, jury, and executioner. You are accusing these people of serious grievances based on information that doesn't prove a damn thing.

You don't see any moral problem with tricking people into disclosing their information to a third party that exists for the sole purpose of obtaining information that allows you to directly address their computer with whatever intent you may have? There is a reason that messenger services and forums don't let you see the other people using them. Once Joe Random has an IP address and decides he wants to be a ****, all it takes is 15 minutes of googling to find some way to exploit the remote machine. It is very much a privacy issue. This isn't the old west. You aren't the judge, jury, and executioner. You are accusing these people of serious grievances based on information that doesn't prove a damn thing.

The same thing could be said bout police when they question people.

If your full of crap and leading people on or lying the truth should be know. I have nothing to fear if im doing nothing wrong.
If someone does exploit me let them. It will come back to bite them.

The one important thing that you guys have not mentioned is protection against scammers. You probably have not been on Craigslist trying to buy something or on a Dating site trying to meet someone but fake profiles are a HUGE problem!!

There are so many scammers and fake profiles and ads out there. If a person has information that says they live down the street when in actuality, you find that they are from Russia, or Nigeria, or the Phillipines, you know to avoid them.

Much of the stuff you guys are talking about is way over the average user. If someone wants your IP address, from what many people in other threads have said on the OCForums, apparently the IP address is easy to get if you know what you are doing. I understand that there are people out there that can take an IP address and use it to do bad things but if they are the type of person that hacks or does that stuff, they can do it easier then the average user already.

This trick I have discovered is the only thing that I know of that you can use for protection against a certain type of internet scammer. I can't get thier exact address. I can't verify any personal information. All I know is the general area where someone is using the internet and that is if they are not using a proxy. (I'm not even sure how to use a proxy or what that really is...)

By the way, nobody answered my other question a few posts up... Can a normal user not using a proxy have a IP address assigned to somewhere else in the country? For instance, will my IP address here in Chicago ever show up as California for any reason if I am just a normal user?

Back