• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless network for many business users: 2 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
any updates on this g0dm@n ?

problems you are encountering, something you need clarified?

I have a Buffalo WHRG-125 Wireless G router that already has DD-WRT on it.

Do you think that'll do? I was going to bring it to my uncle's and just try that out. It was my old router that I replaced with a Wireless N.

Only b/c someone said DD-WRT had worked for them. The only thing is this router only has one built-in antenna.

What do you think...

being the WHRG has 1 antenna it may affect the 14 users if they are on at one time. being that is the only antenna to transmit and receive traffic. if i recall, the WHRG's were faster and had a better chipset than the WRT series? that could help.

i know on the dual antenna versions you can specify what you want to transmit and receive

being the WHRG has 1 antenna it may affect the 14 users if they are on at one time. being that is the only antenna to transmit and receive traffic. if i recall, the WHRG's were faster and had a better chipset than the WRT series? that could help.

i know on the dual antenna versions you can specify what you want to transmit and receive

Alright, so which is my best choice given the circumstances?

I would try your existing router to see how it does. If you want something very nice check out http://www.ubnt.com/products/

Could you be more specific? I'm a newb. :)

Do I start with this or something:
http://www.ubnt.com/products/ap1000.php

Like what's this:
http://www.ubnt.com/products/sr9.php

I'm still trying to read up, but it looks like a mini-pci... *edit* OK, so I see it is...
I don't think it's ideal to work on the client's machines. I'd rather have a router that can handle whatever wireless connections the clients can make to the router. If I have to upgrade everyone's machines/laptops, then I'll have to start charging them... every jewelry booth there is a totally separate business. Basically, they are RENTING SPACE.

Last edited:
The AP1000 would for sure do the trick and you would not have to upgrade the clients. Ubiquiti will soon have a 1000mw version of the tiny PicoStation. Either of these should support 30-35 clients max. The 100mw PicoStation is only $49.99 but pricing is not out for the high power version. The SR9 is a 900MHz mini PCI card generally used for long distance point to point networking. Your existing Buffalo with dd-wrt should have no problem with all clients connected. If you do run into problems with weak signal you can always replace the antenna even if it is not removable (soldering required). No matter what you use, the location of the AP will be important. If you have a clear line of sight from each client to the AP your set. A ceiling mount antenna might be something to look into. Why don't you go ahead and try the Buffalo AP and see how it works?

Is this a good choice?
LINKSYS WRT350N $115 shipped @ newegg

Looks like it's got a better antenna setup than my Buffalo DD-WRT which only has one. And also this Linksys supports N...

The AP1000 would for sure do the trick and you would not have to upgrade the clients. Ubiquiti will soon have a 1000mw version of the tiny PicoStation. Either of these should support 30-35 clients max. The 100mw PicoStation is only $49.99 but pricing is not out for the high power version. The SR9 is a 900MHz mini PCI card generally used for long distance point to point networking. Your existing Buffalo with dd-wrt should have no problem with all clients connected. If you do run into problems with weak signal you can always replace the antenna even if it is not removable (soldering required). No matter what you use, the location of the AP will be important. If you have a clear line of sight from each client to the AP your set. A ceiling mount antenna might be something to look into. Why don't you go ahead and try the Buffalo AP and see how it works?

I could solder a new antenna into the Buffalo, eh? I could do that, but my uncle is all about "I want da best." (with his Armenian accent, lol). He always wants to get the most expensive stuff, but I know that's not always the best answer... if I have to spent $100, $500, I'll do it, but not gonna spend several hundred unless it's truly necessary... from the sound of it, I probably won't need to.

Could you fill me in (or link me) to what you mean by a ceiling mount antenna?? Thx, Bender!!

Last edited:
that WRT350N is a beefy one, my friend got one recently and put dd-WRT Gigantic on it its nuts he has it vpn'd into his network and he can do resolutions wihtout making a connection kinda neat.

you can also try to setup that USB port to be used as a print server i think.

that WRT350N is a beefy one, my friend got one recently and put dd-WRT Gigantic on it its nuts he has it vpn'd into his network and he can do resolutions wihtout making a connection kinda neat.

you can also try to setup that USB port to be used as a print server i think.

It's called DD-WRT Gigantic? I've dealt with the regular v24 firmware, and the mini v24 firmware...

i belive so, let me take a quick look and i'll edit the post

he told me you had to flash with mini, then flash with gigantic

edit its called Mega

i belive so, let me take a quick look and i'll edit the post

he told me you had to flash with mini, then flash with gigantic

edit its called Mega

Link?

I thought the "mega" was just the regular... as in, opposite of "mini"...

I have a Proxim ap-4000 with over 20 users on it in a 18,000 sq ft building with nothing but the internal antenna and it works great.
http://www.proxim.com/products/ap_4000/index.html
They can be had for around $400. I know that is a little pricey but I have been running it for several years with no problems.

I have to buy this through their site? Where's the best place to purchase?

I see it's $500 at buy.com:
http://www.buy.com/prod/proxim-orin...bps-1-x-10-100base-tx/q/loc/101/10361053.html

DAMN!!! Plus tax charges @ buy.com

Is there anything out there that will be EASY to set up and use? I am looking for places to PURCHASE, not just manufacturer pages. I really want to go with NewEgg since it's not for me and if I have a problem I know I can deal with newegg with ease.

I was SO close to pull the trigger on the Linksys WRT350N @ newegg for $115 shipped, but I read some of the newegg reviews and there are those with issues... I don't want that to happen. If there is mixed N and G connections, I don't want to risk DROPPED connections...
Would I be better off just getting a wireless G linksys with DD-WRT? This way everyone would pretty much connect with G?
WRT54GL @ Egg
WRT54GS @ Egg
Not sure which is better

Money is not really the issue between these choices... $50, $150, makes no diff to my uncle as long as it's very reliable.

I was really tempted by the WRT350N because of the antennas. :)

Sorry for not being so easy to convince. I want to make the right choice the FIRST time. My uncle is a nice guy, but I definitely don't want to have to travel my @SS down to his store when there are issues... I want to minimize that b/c it's not down the road from me...

Last edited:
GS models are stripped down versions of what the popular models were 1-2 years ago. The GL is the last in the line of linux/open source units.

thats what i find about the wrt54g stuff ... so you're best bet would be the GL if you want to run DD-WRT

GS models are stripped down versions of what the popular models were 1-2 years ago. The GL is the last in the line of linux/open source units.

thats what i find about the wrt54g stuff ... so you're best bet would be the GL if you want to run DD-WRT

Do you think I should chance it with the WRT350N? I looked up the specs of it on DD-WRT and it shows up as 32MB RAM and 8MB Flash. 32MB ram is pretty beefy, right?

i'll talk to my friend about it today, i see him in class after work. i'll get back to you afterwards :)

Thanks, buddy.

I ordered it from NewEgg and I'll return it without opening if it was a bad choice... I ordered it b/c I may be installing it this Thurs if enough people here tell me to just give it a go.

:)

Also, I'm thinking of throwing in my Buffalo wireless that already has DD-WRT in there to set it up as a wireless repeater... only problem is it will repeat G, not N... but...
1-If someone connects with N, they should be fine anyway with distance
2-If someone connects with G, they have 2 points to connect to due to the repeater...

Would that work if I use a wireless G router as a repeater to just repeat the G band??

Back