• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 folding benchmarks??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like not having HT will be more useful for Folding... am I reading that graph correctly?
I'm also curious to see some numbers on the i7's for Rosetta... in case someone has found them already...

I'm not really understanding the article. On all the graphs for individual work units, the no-HT i7-965 Extreme leads in ppd and the one with HT is at 6th or 7th place. However, the last graph (for Total Project PPD) shows it ahead of all except the dual QX9775 and the non-HT is at 5th.

The techreport benchmark is all but useless without a1 and a2 core SMP WUs. You can figure it to be faster, but by how much on each type of SMP WU is a guess. Where it should trounce the current Qs is in running multiple SMP instances with the a1 core.

The techreport benchmark is all but useless without a1 and a2 core SMP WUs. You can figure it to be faster, but by how much on each type of SMP WU is a guess. Where it should trounce the current Qs is in running multiple SMP instances with the a1 core.

exactly my thought! ;) w/ HT, total of 8 cores, running 2x WinSMP client to fully use all cores. or if one has enough ram in the system, how 'bout 4x VMWare+LinuxSMP? or better yet, fill all those PCIe 16x w/ GPUs, then run SMP (Win or Linux, your choice) on the rest of the cores!! :D

may be Stanford will lift the 4 cores hard coded soon...?? :rolleyes: ;)

may be Stanford will lift the 4 cores hard coded soon...?? :rolleyes: ;)

I didn't realize they still had that with the v6 clients? I know a while ago they said if you asked and had just reason they would get you a client that had 8 or 16 threads if you proved you had the hardware. This was mostly talking about a cluster setup though.

I think 2 clients x 4 cores is going to be faster than 1 x 8. If I am not mistaken, the Linux 6.23 client isn't hardcoded to 4 threads. If you have 8 cores, -smp 8 will run one instance across 8 cores. 4 is still the minimum.

Back