• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TRUE and a washer trick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

I'm sure you guys know about this one, any ideas how "thick" this washer should be and can I screw the screws all the way down after putting washer in its place?

I've heard of this trick, but I'm yet to see any actual results from it? Does it really help temps? I've heard of using a penny, which is what I've tried.

I used one of those foam rings that comes with Cd stack Bundles.

The foam ring is around 1 inch in diameter and 5mm thick. The foam ring is bouncy and collapsible. Around 2mm thick after screwing the heatsink tight.

After adding it to the TRUE, a whopping 3c drop in CPU Temp.

After the mod, I pushed the Q9550 to 470FSB@ 1.328v.

57c loaded temp, before mod load temp 60c, room temp 30c.

I can push it higher with higher voltage 1.34, but i am happy happy at 3.99ghz prime 95 stable.

I removed the screw from the scissor bracket (you have to break it off), and then replaced the screw w/ a new one, but put 2 tiny washers in there first.

Works good for me. Load temps dropped about 8*C, but there may have been other extenuating circumstances that also helped lower temps (I also switched from AS-5 to MX-2).

I've heard of this trick, but I'm yet to see any actual results from it? Does it really help temps? I've heard of using a penny, which is what I've tried.

Did a penny trick on my friends PC, seem to worked out well.

The problem with foam, is that over time it becomes near flat as paper from pressure.

I used a washer that had a thickness of 2.5mm or ~ just over 1/16". That actually dropped my core temperatures ~5deg. It had more effect than lapping did.

After the mod, I pushed the Q9550 to 470FSB@ 1.328v.

57c loaded temp, before mod load temp 60c, room temp 30c.

I can push it higher with higher voltage 1.34, but i am happy happy at 3.99ghz prime 95 stable.

How much could you push it before the mod?

There's a little indentation at the top of the TRUE's base. That is for the the little knob on the retention bracket to fit in to so that it stays in place. You can fit a thin washer on the top of the TRUE's base so that the hole in the washer lines up with the indentation on the top of the base, then put the retention bracket on, it will allow you an extra few millimeters more travel on the screws when you're tightening. Therefore you get more downward force on the base and hopefully better contact and temperatures.

hm I can't exactly picture it but I don't have my true yet. how would a penny work if it needs to have a hole?

You know how a key goes into a keyhole? It the same principle, except there is a convex knob on the bottom middle of the retainer bracket, and a convex hole on the top of the heatsink base to receive it. When you put the retention bracket over the heatsink base and screw the retention bracket into the back plate the screws will cause the legs of the bracket to bend slightly and therefore put downward force on the heatsink base. At a certain point, the screws bottom out and you are left with the stock tension. At this stage the heatsink is firmly held against the CPU IHS, but there is still a bit of play if you attempt to twist the heatsink. To help combat this, you can slip a washer (forget the penny) between the retention bracket and the heatsink base. In order to even start the screws into the receivers in the backplate takes alot more force because you have increased the distance between the screw and the hole. After only a few turns of the screws you will be at roughly stock tension, and if you bottom out the screws in this fashion you will have significantly more tension.

Check these out:
http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/401122-true-washer-mod-question.html
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276479

Google and the forums search function are your friends. Give them a try once in a while.

where would you guys recommend to get some rubber washers?I think I need one for this purpose and maybe some to put between/on my harddrives to dampen the noise? (I heard that helps). I looked on ebay (that's where I got my zipties) but there didn't seem to be anything that was just right.

I did this little mod yesterday. Used 3 mm washer. Thought I'll crush CPU but I didn't :)

Good thing:
Idle temps almost unchanged, perhaps 1C less... Load temps went down 5C !!! Happy puppy

Bad things:
I didn't gain any oc from temp drop. Not even a single FSB on lower multi...

All in all it wasn't hard to do and didn't take much time. Sadly it was waste of time for me

Back