• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Moves 32nm (Next Year By Latest)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When is the New York plant going to be open? I heard not till 2010. If that is true, then I guess the Germany plant will be seeing a huge upgrade.

When is the New York plant going to be open? I heard not till 2010. If that is true, then I guess the Germany plant will be seeing a huge upgrade.

The Inquirer said:
These involve expanding and investing in the Dresden facilities, says EETimes Europe.

yep.

It will be. The New York fab is set to debut at 22nm unless plans change from where they stand today.

i am skeptical about amd's move to 32nm. just look at how long it has taken them to get to 45nm...

Intel has how many Fab plants, and how many does AMD have? You answer that, and then you will realize why its taken them so long. Also thanks to the last CEO, things went ****ty, along with the ATI buyout. Even though ATI has been a huge help to AMD, I think if the company had that extra money, things would be different.

at least it looks like they're going back to pushing technology. they always had nice cpus but got caught off guard by riding the athlon 64 for too long.

i wouldnt say they got caught off guard, i would say they had some infectious boils to lance

Intel has how many Fab plants, and how many does AMD have? You answer that, and then you will realize why its taken them so long. Also thanks to the last CEO, things went ****ty, along with the ATI buyout. Even though ATI has been a huge help to AMD, I think if the company had that extra money, things would be different.

With Dubai backing them now, they got some serious cash by selling off the cpu side / manufacturing

It takes what, about 2 years to bring a chip from start of design to production/market given that there are very few or no hiccups along the way?

I would bet that the new investors/owners around AMD are pushing very hard to get AMD back on much more even ground with Intel.

The newyork fab is as far as I understand it being built for 22nm, we will probably see that in h210 or early 2011. Many not chip sales at this point but starting hearing a lot about chip design. I don't recall what their time line said about 22nm, if anything at all.

I assume that in only a few months they will be pretty much done with 65nm production all together and be going totally on 45nm production and sales. During this time they will most likely be rushing to refit the fab as fast as they possibly can for 32nm production.

I think one of the benefits that we will see from their new deal is that AMD as a company will have much less to worry about as far as production goes. In the past they would have had to have put a great deal more consideration into the expense of refitting a fab while funding design and rnd on a new chip. For at least a little while I don't think this will be as much an issue because the investors (the foundry) will be sholdering the fab/refit costs leaving AMD to work on design of a good chip. By now they are probably already looking at their 32nm design (on paper) and working out how to make it work. After 45nm hits full scale production (assuming that they have no setbacks with any unforeseen problems) they will probably let it ride and go strait into 32nm rnd and get to testing as quickly as possible.

While they are working on the chip design the foundry will be moving the new equipment into the fab to get ready for production.

In short all I am saying is that for right now at least AMD is not in the position of a normal company. They are not being forced to divide up the money that they have (from profits) into different things that they need. They don't have to worry as much about the cost of refitting a fab and how much that will effect what they can spend on new chip design because the money for the fab side of things is coming from someone else. At this point they can just toss what money they do have into getting the new chips up and running as quickly as possible while they let the foundry worry about the cost of the fabs to produce it.

It isn't a blank check by any means but it certainly does give them a lot more freedom in expenses than they would have if they were forced to do this only on the money that they were making (like during normal times). Of course the fact that AMD isn't making a profit would have pretty much left them dead in the water for going to 32nm and then on to 22nm on any sort of short term time table. Not until they started getting money in from 45nm at the least and by the time they could afford it all they would have been farther behind (and that would have been saying all goes well with 45nm). The foundry has given them a way to not only get rid of a few of those problems but also provide enough extra money to accelerate the process of bringing new chips to market.

I could easily be wrong but I think that this deal of theirs has provided them with not only the means to maintain operations but maybe even catch up a little (or a lot being the hope). I also don't see these abu dhabi investors wanting to lose their money in the long run so I think they will push pretty hard to get AMD "back in the game" as quickly as they can, even if it means spending a few extra coin right now.

Now we just have to hope that going from deneb/shanghai to hydra (and whatever else they have planned) they will not get careless and end up letting a little problem slip through on them similar to what we saw with B2 K10s. While I think the investors keeping onto them to bring get to new chips quickly might be key to getting AMD back onto even footing with intel I also know that if they try to rush too much there is the chance for mistakes to be made. Let us hope that they avoid as many of those mistakes as possible.

Back