• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just bought one of these, anyone have one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The screen's resolution is kind of meh, the performance is good for typing up word documents, browsing the internet and maybe watching a downloaded video or two.

The keyboards are awkward to use. You definitely can't type as fast on a netbook as you can on a regular keyboard.

I think having a regular laptop is the first step before getting a netbook. It's like a Macbook Air. They're nice, but you should have a primary desktop and a primary laptop BEFORE you get one.

The screen's resolution is kind of meh, the performance is good for typing up word documents, browsing the internet and maybe watching a downloaded video or two.

The keyboards are awkward to use. You definitely can't type as fast on a netbook as you can on a regular keyboard.

I think having a regular laptop is the first step before getting a netbook. It's like a Macbook Air. They're nice, but you should have a primary desktop and a primary laptop BEFORE you get one.

I think if you've got a 'primary and secondary' mobile computer your priorities are skewed.

That's just me.

No Canadian I know of has more than 1 laptop...

We also don't walk around with a 'utility belt' of devices though... so I don't know...

I'd never buy an EEEpc... not yet anyways-- the UUUUULV (ultra ultra ultra ultra ultra low voltage) Intel Atom is really sucky right now. It has very few transistors and is just generally a crappy processor. Its only benefit is it barely uses any power. That 1.5Ghz is deceiving though. I seriously doubt a 1.5Ghz Atom can outperform even a 700Mhz first generation AMD Athlon.

An important thing to ask when reviewing a processors frequency is "1.5Ghz of what"

1.5Ghz x 2 billion transistors with gigantic cache and wicked fast FSB is gonna be better than like 1.5Ghz x 58 million transistors or whatever joke amount the Atom has, super lame cache and super lame FSB...

I have quite a few computers in my house currently, desktops: Xeon, Q6600, E6400, laptops: Acer (I have no idea which model), and an old Compaq Presario. So that should not be an issue. I ordered this one for mobility for work/travel. I plan to mainly use it for internet and mild word processing and possibly some movies.

I think if you've got a 'primary and secondary' mobile computer your priorities are skewed.

That's just me.

We also don't walk around with a 'utility belt' of devices though... so I don't know...

I'd never buy an EEEpc... not yet anyways-- the UUUUULV (ultra ultra ultra ultra ultra low voltage) Intel Atom is really sucky right now. It has very few transistors and is just generally a crappy processor. Its only benefit is it barely uses any power. That 1.5Ghz is deceiving though. I seriously doubt a 1.5Ghz Atom can outperform even a 700Mhz first generation AMD Athlon.

An important thing to ask when reviewing a processors frequency is "1.5Ghz of what"

1.5Ghz x 2 billion transistors with gigantic cache and wicked fast FSB is gonna be better than like 1.5Ghz x 58 million transistors or whatever joke amount the Atom has, super lame cache and super lame FSB...

I guess I will have to see how it does. I know they are not meant for playing games or anything remotely close but you can websurf and do word processing on a P2 and that only had 7.5 million transistors, and the Atom has 47 million if I read it right. So I don't think that's an issue. The main selling point for me was battery life with the 6 cell batteries they are getting around 7 hrs of usage. And that is possible because of the low wattage the Atom uses. I consider that impressive.
http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=29035
I will let you know how it works out. I was just curious if anyone else had any experience with them.

That's because they keeping loosing the smaller ones when they drop them in the snowdrift while trying to carry a twofour and thirteen doughnuts, eh? :beer:

Seriously, however, I know 2 folks who have EEE PCs and their main issue is very long startup times. I understand that swapping the mechanical HDD for an SSD takes care of the issue...

I am actually considering testing it with both Windows Xp and Ubuntu Linux, just to see which one does better on such a limited and small platform.

Back