• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Live CD + Emulator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

Hello All

I am wondering if there exists a Live CD distro that would allow me to Emulate Windows XP inside of it.

Let me tell you what I have/want.

I have a Company Laptop, it runs Windows XP. IT and I don't see eye to eye on MANY MANY things and as a result my computer is locked down very tight,

I do most of my required work off of a USB Key and Portable Apps, but got to thinking, I would rather run my computer from a Live CD, but I need access to 1 program running on my XP box, Lotus Notes....(evil)

So basically what I want is a Live CD that can boot the Windows XP off of the hard drive and use its installed programs in a Window,

can such a thing happen? am I doomed to run WinXP exclusively?

Any help would be great

You do realize that Lotus Notes is available for linux?

Also if you can run a virtual machine then that would be your best option. You'd have to reinstall all the programs, and take up twice as much room but you wouldn't be locked down at all.

http://www.computerworld.com/action...xonomyId=18&articleId=9058900&intsrc=hm_topic
Lotus Notes 8.5 to fully support Ubuntu Linux 7.10 in mid-2008
January 24, 2008 (Computerworld)
Is Linux on the enterprise desktop finally ready for prime time? IBM apparently thinks so as it prepares to deliver its next versions of Lotus Notes enterprise collaboration software and Lotus Symphony office productivity applications for the first time with full support for Ubuntu Linux 7.10 sometime in the second half of this year. In an announcement this week at the Lotusphere 2008 conference in Orlando, IBM said that it will provide full support for Ubuntu Linux with Lotus Notes 8.5 and Lotus Symphony using its Open Collaboration Client software, which is based on open standards.
Antony Satyadas, chief competitive marketing officer for IBM Lotus, said the Ubuntu support for Notes and Symphony were a direct response to demand from customers. Lotus Notes 8.0.1 has limited support for Ubuntu Linux, but customers have asked for broader capabilities, he said.
"We're doing pilots with customers now," Satyadas said. "Some of the requests came from big companies" with as many as 100,000 users that are interested in moving to Ubuntu Linux on the desktop.
"The other thing we are seeing is some interesting patterns evolving here," he said. "It starts with a very small company looking at Linux, and then there are really large companies that are starting out small with 500 [Linux desktop] users, then moving up to 2,000 or more. That is the pattern we are seeing."
For the past six years or so, some prognosticators have predicted that Linux on the corporate desktop was finally ready, but the move has never taken hold in a major way.
Satyadas said IBM thinks that this year, it will happen.
"All the stars are lining up," he said. "Everybody has been saying that since 2001 except IBM. We never said that, but we are saying that now."
In the past, IBM has said Linux on the corporate desktop wouldn't happen until the operating system was good enough to allow companies to have all the functions they need to run their businesses. At the same time, an adequate supply of critical business software that would run reliably and efficiently on Linux would be needed.
"We are putting our money where our mouth is," Satyadas said. "We think now the time is really [here]" and the needed business applications are available to make it work for corporations.
"Linux is cool now," he said. "We use it ourselves. We are able to offer a secure, rich and cost-effective Microsoft alternative."
The Open Collaboration Client software includes advanced e-mail and calendar capabilities, unified communication and collaboration functions, and general word processing, spreadsheet and presentation capabilities with Open Document Format support. The Open Collaboration Client is built on Lotus Expeditor, which is based on the open-source Eclipse Rich Client Platform.

Mark Murphy, vice president of alliances at Canonical Ltd., the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu Linux, said in a statement that the availability of Notes and Symphony for use with Ubuntu will be a "win for customers everywhere. Canonical is committed to bringing the best available productivity tools to its users on an open platform. Ubuntu users will now have an outstanding choice with Lotus Notes, while businesses will have a great choice with Lotus Domino. From a technical viewpoint, we are impressed how Lotus leverages the Eclipse platform to build and deliver rich client applications. This is an exciting development for Ubuntu users, too."
You should be able to contact the school tech support or IBM tech support and have them help you install it. I'd think that the Lotus suppport would be better than the school based. (they're all usually idiots at colleges.)

Try this: (beta download)
http://www14.software.ibm.com/webap...05-29+21:53:29.426610R&S_TACT=104CBW71&S_CMP=

You could get a ~8gig USB key and install a USB linux variant (PenDriveLinux2008 is based on Mandriva and works very well) then just boot from the USB, install any app you need in linux and it saves it (along with files you need) and you can still access the files on the laptop.
If you ever take it in for support they'll think you never use it.

Last edited:
I do know lotus notes is available in linux

But my company would never give me the connection details required to set up my lotus notes in linux heck I have to ship my computer away to get a printer installed they are so stupid.

That is why I want to be able to run what is already installed emulated from a live CD

I don't know of anything that will do what you want. The absolute closest would be to run your system as a Virtual Machine using a different OS as host.
Here would be the setup;
you boot from the USB drive to the Host OS
then have the OS on the HDD run as a VM inside the Host OS
I haven't done this but it looks like you can use this program VmWare Converter.
I found it from this link.

It looks like it makes an image of the entire OS, and saves it in a VM format.
TO do this you would probably need more space than a flashstick; an external HDD should work.

-just a thought:

it's likely that just as soon as a VM guest or live distro tries to connect to the corporate network, the IT guys will know it.

-just a thought:

it's likely that just as soon as a VM guest or live distro tries to connect to the corporate network, the IT guys will know it.

I would not give them that much credit,

and if they find out, I'll take the slap on the wrist, I am fighting our tech policy on a daily basis, the have such early 90's views of technology

Back