• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I love trash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Special7

As I was leaving my apartment earlier I saw a tower by the dumpster, so I bring it inside. Low and behold it's a Gateway from 2001,

Intel Celeron 1100MHz, 128kb Cache 100MHz FSB @ 1.75v
No Memory
No HD
16x CD-R/W
200 WATT PSU
Last but not least, a xp serial sticker on the side for XP Home. :D

Probably going to replace my sisters pc with this one, as it is running a AMD K6-2 550MHz and is slow as crap, this should be a great improvement.:santa2:

If you are lucky, that maybe a Tualitin Core built on a smaller die process. But even if its still Coppermine, I had my Celly 1000 at 1.33GHz all day until my little dad turned it on with no HSF attached. :(

Great find!

bryan d

Pretty sure it's a Coppermine core, will get a better look tomorrow.

Last edited:
With 128kb cache, it most certainly is a Coppermine... the Tualatin Celerons had 256kb L2.

Nice find regardless, should be plenty fast for average use, and definitely a huge upgrade over a K6-2.

Yeah it's a Coppermine core, I got it all setup for my sister it is a night and day difference!

System as follows:
Celeron 1.1GHz 128kb L2 Cache/100MHz FSB
256MB PC133
18GB HD
XP Pro

Pretty snappy for what it is. :) She is happy and that is all that matters.

Better to recycle these little tidbits of technology than send it to the dump/landfill. Its like saving a puppy from the pound. Good job.

Better to recycle these little tidbits of technology than send it to the dump/landfill. Its like saving a puppy from the pound. Good job.

people always give me old computers and parts and when ever i go to a pawnshop or a thrift store i always look to see what of any computers they may have and in some cases buy them i used to have 4 ibm ps/2 computers those were pretty good computers for old computers :)

Special,

Our neighbor was moving away and wanted to get "rid" of a lot of items. One was a Dell 2400 P4 2.8GHz 17" CRT monitor (2003) that they kept after upgrading so they gave it to me. They had the original Dell box and OEM XP Home CD. It only needed disk wipe for personal items, a clean install, and an upgrade from 256mb RAM (yuck!) to a new 1GB stick I bought (it's not dual channel). Works just fine as a backup and there is nothing wrong with it at all.

While this rig wasn't a "dumpster dive" it would have been trash on trash day if I didn't take it so I can relate to your experience!

I had an old "K-mart" brand PC I found in the dumpster about 5 years back. I think it was called a "Blue light" or something. Nothing was wrong with it. When I turned it on, I found out that the OS was so full of virus and spyware, and ran so slow, I figured that this is why they tossed it. I wiped the drive and reloaded the OS (win 98) and sold it as is. I think I got $50 for it.

Great find for a family member to enjoy. Congratulations!

Back