• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMP (MPICH) client won't connect to assignment server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is_907

So I was borging a friend's C2D at work today and the SMP client installs fine but when I run it -configonly (or run it normally, even) it won't connect to the assignment server. Now, I can ping the assignment server and it shows up as working on the Stanford site so I'm clueless.

The computer is on the campus domain (work at the IT dept of my uni). Windows Firewall is running but should allow all traffic on ports 80 and 8080 by default (we opened those ports manually and had the same problem, though.)

Ideas?

If the assignment server is able to ping you back, but has no WU's that match your configuration. you'll get an error message about HTTP etc., that looks like a connection problem.

For instance, if I ask for big WU's, and accidentally give it 256 Megs for memory to be used, during configuration, I'll get nothing but grief from the assignment server. It won't tell me "hey! How about giving me more memory in your configuration?", instead it will look like an HTTP problem, etc.

No, I have *no* idea how I learned this! :p :p :p

Code:
# Windows CPU Console Edition #################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.23 Beta R1

http://folding.stanford.edu

Launch directory: C:\FAHSMP
Executable: [email protected]
Arguments: -configonly 

[15:31:41] - Ask before connecting: No
[15:31:41] - User name: Is_907 (Team 32)
[15:31:41] - User ID not found locally
[15:31:41] + Requesting User ID from server
[15:31:42] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[15:31:42] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
[15:31:42] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[15:31:42] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
[15:31:42] 
+ Could not get ID from server. Retrying...
[15:31:59] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[15:31:59] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
[15:31:59] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[15:31:59] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
[15:31:59] 
+ Could not get ID from server. Retrying...

Folding@Home Client Shutdown.

So that's from the FAHlog.txt after doing a -configonly
Frustrating... I've checked everything related to the connection and firewall.
Ideas?

One thing that looks a bit strange is the location of the executable. On all my windows console boxes, the path to the executable includes the launch directory.

Launch directory: D:\Program Files\FAH SMP
Executable: D:\Program Files\FAH SMP\[email protected]
Arguments: -smp -local -verbosity 9 -forceasm

When you start the client do you see the "If you see this line twice MPI is working" message?

Well, odd thing about it is this: when I set this up a few days ago, yes, I got the "MPI is working" messages. Now, apparently, when it launches MPI goes nuts saying that user isn't allowed.
The biggest problem is that it's in my friend's office and I'm at home, heh.

As for the executable path... I would imagine that's because he opened cmd, did "cd C:\FAHSMP" then ran the exe.

I'll be going to work this afternoon and I'll double check all of that (especially the status of the MPI...)

Still no luck. MPI is working but assign.stanford.edu:8080 and assign2.stanford.edu:80 won't respond... rather, it won't connect to them.

I'm sorry for your issues, but yes! Some one else is have the exact problem I am having! I'm watching this thread closely.

uninstall the client and the MPICH2 and smpd rebbot then Re install

Heh, I uninstalled and reinstalled the client/MPICH2 but didn't reboot between... just stopped smpd and reinstalled (was being lazy and rushed.)

Will be there again tomorrow and I'll try that.

Back