• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm guessing with the second batch the AM3 cpu's there should be a good supply of newer board coming about...

ATM the foxconn and asus are pretty nice boards....

I think so. The Motherboard companies may throw in newer features for OCing or a newer design toward heat distribution across the board. But other than that and DDR3, that is all I believe is different.

Wait what about HTT3? Is that fully working on the Phenom I?

I cant wait to see how the PIIs perform, but as a socket A user, I am getting very anxious to upgrade to an AM2+ board. I just dont know whether to buy a cheap X2 CPU now, wait till the PII's come out and see if prices go down, or splurge and buy the best of the best come Jan-Feb.
I know one thing for sure, I will be sticking with AMD!

Well hello there sweet thing :D

AM3_200x20.jpg

they will but in order to use ddr3 with a am3 you will need a new board AFAIK

Yes, you will need a new board due to a key slot in the DDR3 DIMMS, volts and BIOS but the CPU will do both. K10s have a DDR3 DRAM controller that is backwords compatible with DDR2. The best going for DDR2 is getting low Lat 1066 or higher and making the best of it. DDR3 is only slightly faster. Also get one ot the upper end CPUs so you have the Maximum cache to make up for the DDR2-3 diff. EOY 2009 is going to be a good time to go DDR3 so until then enjoy these super cheap DDR2 sticks.

My guess is that they could do better. $10 says that it is an inexperienced OCer. ;)

well uhh you'll be double the cores at double or more the cache per core so i am thinkin probally

The deneb in that CPU-Z shot is the first stepping so I would not worry about the voltages too much there. The CPUs that will be released are the second stepping for the AM2+ chips and the third stepping for the AM3 chips as I understand it.

It has also been shown that while AMDs 45nm chips take a bit more in the V department than the competitors they do run at lower temps.

kind of surprised that i don't see any idea of pricing in this thread. we were seeing batch prices that were spot on for i7 about 2 months before release. we're only about 40 days away from Phenom II.

For AMD's sake i hope this new chip is going to be competitive with Intel this time. an i7 920 puts up some crazy benchmarks for $300 so expectations will be high for the 940

While the new CPUs should be there by Feb, the new RD890 chipset (890FX that is) and the new SB(SB800) are scheduled for 2H09, which generally means Nov-Dec 2009 . Till then we will have 790FX and SB750 with AM3 ofcourse . I dont know how good or bad 790FX is, but maybe they should release an updated 790FX for AM3

37 more sleeps :p

I'm with you on that :D

While the new CPUs should be there by Feb, the new RD890 chipset (890FX that is) and the new SB(SB800) are scheduled for 2H09, which generally means Nov-Dec 2009 . Till then we will have 790FX and SB750 with AM3 ofcourse . I dont know how good or bad 790FX is, but maybe they should release an updated 790FX for AM3

I would hope that we see the SB800 before the 2h09, but who knows I would be happy with some updated SB750 boards as the sb600 boards some of them are great and just need a newer version.

how about existing sb750 boards? will amd give us some bios updates, such as an updated ACC with the new phenom II's

most are already being tested in the works I think there is even a few board like my sb600 that already have the support for the pII

as for ACC I'm not sure really wish I had a board that it worked on but with what everyone says it win some lose some if you end up with a working ACC board.

Back