• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
how about existing sb750 boards? will amd give us some bios updates, such as an updated ACC with the new phenom II's

I've got an M3A79-T, which Asus is claiming to have AM3/DDR3 support with a bios update. With my phenom, im quite happy with the boards performance. Have run the northbridge at 2.5ghz w/o breaking a sweat. Im sure the phenom IIs will like that :D

DDR2 slots are not compatible with DDR3... due to key slot location

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Processor+Roadmap+Launch+Dates+Revealed/article13571.htm

didn't want to make a new thread, but here is the road map.

The breakdown of processors looks like this:

January 2009:

* Phenom II X4 940 at 3GHz, 8MB total cache using the AM2+ socket
* Phenom II X4 920 at 2.8GHz with 8MB of total cache on the AM2+ socket

February 2009:

* Phenom II X4 910 2.6GHz with 8MB total cache on the AM3 socket
* Phenom II X4 810 Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz with 6MB total cache on the AM3 socket
* Phenom II X4 805 Phenom II X4 805 2.5GHz with 6MB total cache on the AM3 socket
* Phenom II X3 720 Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz with 7.5MB total cache on the AM3 socket
* Phenom II X3 710 Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz with 7.5MB total cache on the AM3 socket

April 2009:

* Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz with 8MB total cache on the AM3 socket
* Athlon X4 615 2.7GHz with 2MB total cache on the AM3 socket
* Athlon X4 605 2.5GHz with 2MB total cache on the AM3 socket
* Athlon X3 420 Athlon X3 420 2.8GHz with 1.5MB total cache on the AM3 socket
* Athlon X3 410 Athlon X3 410 2.6GHz with 1.5MB total cache on the AM3 socket

June 2009:

* Athlon X2 240 2.8GHz with 2MB total cache on the AM3 socket
* Athlon X2 235 Athlon X2 235 2.7GHz with 2MB total cache on the AM3 socket

I've got an M3A79-T, which Asus is claiming to have AM3/DDR3 support with a bios update. With my phenom, im quite happy with the boards performance. Have run the northbridge at 2.5ghz w/o breaking a sweat. Im sure the phenom IIs will like that :D
what the heck?
ddr3 support on a ddr2 mobo?

You won't have DDR3 support on a DDR2 mobo. The slot is not compatible so the mem will not fit.

I do wonder though if the first AM3 boards will be nothing more than the AM2+ boards with DDR3 slots (and appropriate adjustments made to mem power management).

The chipset needs nothing new as I understand it because that is all handled on the CPU. Really thinking about it I am sure most mobo manufacturers will simply take their already working boards, toss some DDR3 slots on them, provide a few minor updates (and possibly cosmetic changes) and ship them out under a different name.

I just hope that due to the board using pretty much all of the same stuff we already have that they take a little bit of time and fix a few of the problems that we have in the AM2+ line. They could also take this time to make a few improvements in different areas. Bill it as an all new board design if you want, just give us something that is solid right from the start this time.

IMO they'd be better off if they did re-use the same design, swap in the DDR3 slots, and adjust the vDIMM. Nothing flimsy about the M3A32 that I've heard of, nor the M3A78-T/79-T. Same for the DFI & MSI boards in that class. Those boards are all field tested and have delivered very good performance so why change?

What have you seen that isn't "solid" ...?

I just hope that due to the board using pretty much all of the same stuff we already have that they take a little bit of time and fix a few of the problems that we have in the AM2+ line.

I think most of the problem was the early stages of the phenom before we got to the 9950

What have you seen that isn't "solid" ...?

there is only a few that I'm aware of that want or wouldn't hold there own :D

Hmmm maybe the new chipset will support some new things, like USB 3.0
Any thoughts on that?

at the risk of sounding like a complete noob.. (i have no clue about AMD since i really don't follow them)
is there a difference between Phenom II and Shanghai? :confused:

thanks

Phenom II = Deneb (Desktop version of Shanghai)
Shanghai = Newest Opteron Server CPUs
Shanghai was the code named used while AMD was creating the CPU.

Phenom II = Deneb (Desktop version of Shanghai)
Shanghai = Newest Opteron Server CPUs
Shanghai was the code named used while AMD was creating the CPU.

ok so technically they are the same thing.. good to know :)
thanks

Shanghai is the codename for the 45nm Opteron server workstation processor, often used for the whole 45nm line as this was the first 45 cpu codename we heard of.

Phenom II is a brand used for desktop processors which covers 45nm processors with L3 cache the Deneb quadcore and Heka triplecore processors, actually the die is the same as the shanghai, packaging is different for the socket F processors.

K10 based 45nm processors without L3 codename will launch under the Athlon name, the codenames are Propus for quad, Rana for triple, and Regor for duals.

Ahem.

phenomiix43dmarkvantagesn1.jpg

Sources:
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=360739
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=360869
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=360886

Last edited:
Nice links Dolk I like that the ss shows 1.36v which isn't anything at 3.4ghz...

Didn't even notice that. I was looking at the fact that is Stepping 2, unlike my previous CPU-Z shot. Whats up with the GPU score by the way? Are they using on board graphics?

To those that think the CPU score is low, start looking around. It may not be able to do much against the i7 but you will start to see that it is right there with Quad Core Intel 45nm

Vantage is optimized for SSE4 of Intel's Core and Nehalem architecture.0

IMHO in the end one the new am3 board come out so we can use ddr3 with the PII I think the 940 will be on par with intels new 920 except when fully overclocked then I think and only hope that amd will take the lead above the 920 and right below there 965...

Back