• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 940 Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Using the F3 BIOS however it still feels very immature.
Hate how I have to go out of town as soon as I got this rig :(

1.72V's on the RAM risky guy :D
I will be keeping an eye on how your doing for sure

Yeah i have seen that too.
Just being the 1st kid on the block to fry his core i7 is something i don't want to do....

But then again once i get my system up and running i am sure my healthy disrespect for voltage will come back in the quest for more clocks :D

Guess in the mean time i will keep reading your thread

Jay,

Can you verify the uncore and memory multipliers available on the Core i7 940? I have heard max clock multiplier is 8x (max 1066 DDR) and uncore is at 16x (thus max 8x mem multi).

If they are unlocked.... can you give me the highest multipliers available?

I cant boot my system right now as my RAM is not in until Friday.
Sorry but i will have to make you wait untll then.

As of right now i can tell you ram can on a bCLK of 133 from 800 to 1600 cant remember if it goes over 1600....
the Uncore was 2.66 at defuallt and can run at 2.166 and 3200
QPI links were 36x, 48X and thier was another but 36X was the lowest.

Careful Jay, listening to Brolloks regarding "safe" voltages has resulted in death of not only the component, but the user applying the voltage as well. Same goes for Gautam. :beer:

Just kidding. Sorry to hear about your ram. I just picked up the Gigabyte yesterday and will be installing it today!

-Collin-

People doing extreme overclocks is at risk, the more moderate overclocker is not.
I use 1333mhz ram, and since multipler is from 6x I can do 4ghz if the chip/card and such allow it without exposing a lot of volt to vdim and not qpi.

Intels rec is similiar to micro ovens, since some metals is possible to use inside the oven, however, knowing people they wouldnt know the difference between safe or not so much easier to just say, do NOT extend over 1.65v ;)
I use cheap *** ram, rated for 1.5v, and when my waterblock comes, I much likely are aiming for my 4ghz goal.
And as far that goes, it seems for me no special risk involved doing so.

People doing extreme overclocks is at risk, the more moderate overclocker is not.
I use 1333mhz ram, and since multipler is from 6x I can do 4ghz if the chip/card and such allow it without exposing a lot of volt to vdim and not qpi.

Intels rec is similiar to micro ovens, since some metals is possible to use inside the oven, however, knowing people they wouldnt know the difference between safe or not so much easier to just say, do NOT extend over 1.65v ;)
I use cheap *** ram, rated for 1.5v, and when my waterblock comes, I much likely are aiming for my 4ghz goal.
And as far that goes, it seems for me no special risk involved doing so.

One thing I will certainly miss is running 2.2v through my DDR3. :)

-Collin-

Quick 30 second update....
Got my new memory and all is well

3.9GHz (178bCLKx22) is as far as the system will go without any effort put into it.

Uncore is running at 2850 Mhz
Have the RAM at 712Mhz

Sadly work has me going away tonight and i have to wait till Sunday night before I get back. Hopefully i can find that new BIOS i hear is floating around. F3 sucks and F4C i hear is much better.

Last edited:

3.9GHz (178bCLKx22) is as far as the system will go without any effort put into it.
Bumped the Vcore up a notch from 2.0 to 2.23V.

Have the RAM at 712Mhz

Sadly work has me going away tonight and i have to wait till Sunday night before I get back. Hopefully i can find that new BIOS i hear is floating around. F3 sucks and F4C i hear is much better.

Did I read this correctly my friend? If you bumped the vcore up to 2.23v, you are surely going to fry that chip in a few hours on air cooling. Maximum recommended vcore should be no higher than 1.40 to 1.45v on air cooling using i7. Be careful my brother. I am assuming this is a simple typo. :)

Dom

Bumped the Vcore up a notch from 2.0 to 2.23V.

Have the RAM at 712Mhz

Since bCLK is 178, I can calculate the multis

2850/178 = 16x Uncore MAX
712/178 = 4x? Shouldnt this be 8x?

From the information you present, looks to me that max memory multiplier on stock Core i7 920/940 is 8x and then only supports 1066 MHz memory.

Are you able to bump the memory higher without changing bCLK?

Did I read this correctly my friend? If you bumped the vcore up to 2.23v, you are surely going to fry that chip in a few hours on air cooling. Maximum recommended vcore should be no higher than 1.40 to 1.45v on air cooling using i7. Be careful my brother. I am assuming this is a simple typo. :)

Dom

Yeah big typo
Stock is 1.2... don't even remember what i had it at now :D

Since bCLK is 178, I can calculate the multis

2850/178 = 16x Uncore MAX
712/178 = 4x? Shouldnt this be 8x?

From the information you present, looks to me that max memory multiplier on stock Core i7 920/940 is 8x and then only supports 1066 MHz memory.

Are you able to bump the memory higher without changing bCLK?
I have new numbers now....

Sorry for the lack of updates, i have been away for a while and yesterday after Load Testing, i um err did more load testing with Fry Cry 2 :D

Anyhow this is what i have going on now.

4.13Ghz nothing to impressive sadly.

21 x 197bCLK
QPI x 36 (7.09GHZ)
UNCore x 16 (3152 MHz)
Memory x 8 (1576 MHz) timings are still loose

CPU is set to 1.43750V in the BIOS
Reads 1.428V in the BIOS
CPU-Z reads 1.408V at idle and 1.392V under load.
This board has massive Vdroop going on.

Last edited:
That is what I like about the Asus is the v-droop is really zero, i set it at 1.4 in Bios and it is 1.4 in CPUz while on idle or load .

JaY, I'm reffering to the P6T that has zero v-droop, the Giga board has a nasty v-droop irrespective of the Bios version

thought i read you had the F4C bios in your thread.
I couldn't find it, just wondering what site you picked it up at.

Back