• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 940 Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME
Core i7 940
Patriot Extreme Viper PVT36G1600ELK 6GB
Diamond Radeon HD 4870 750MHZ 1GB
Noctua NH-U12P
Vista 64

Just need to pick up a few more things and will have some results for you guys tonight.

Goal is a modest 4.0Ghz on Air
181MHz bCLK x 22

Best case is 200Mhz bCLK x 22 for 4.4Ghz
Worst case should be about 160-175Mhz bCLK

What results do you guys want to see?

Last edited:
i'm looking for MAX stable base clock, hopefully you'll be able to get 210~220 stable.

Clock speed, hopefully you'll be able to get about 4.2~4.5ghz or so.

Also post your highest uncore frequency.

looking forward to your results. :beer:

What results do you guys want to see?

Wrong question, you'll have 50 different people asking for you to bench their favorite game :p

i'm looking for MAX stable base clock, hopefully you'll be able to get 210~220 stable.

Clock speed, hopefully you'll be able to get about 4.2~4.5ghz or so.

Also post your highest uncore frequency.

looking forward to your results. :beer:

I would like to see that as well. How high can you get it Small FTT P95 stable?

It's the rest of the core aside from the main CPU calculation sections - the L3, memory controller, I/O, QPI (which replaces the FSB sorta) and scheduling/CPU interconnect.

Last edited:
sorry build had a slight delay....
Ram was out of stock and had to drive to the other side of the city to get my memory...

I'll slap her together now, but need to pick my GF up from work and bring the cat to the Vet in 2 hours. So might be a little later on in the day before i get back to you guys.

@White_Pawn
I think you are a little more optimistic than i am about the bCLK.
200 from what i was hearing before is what i can expect on air max.
I do hope i will get what you are hoping for though.

@ghost_recon88
Good point on the games thing.
As for games, i will be able to throw out any of the Steam Games i have...
Also i got some free games with the CPU so i can do Far Cry 2 and World in Conflict.

I'll do Prime for sure.

@Mr.Guvernment
Hey now i haven't owned a desktop for a year now so i earned this :D
The GF's computer and HTPC dont count :p

@gsrcrxsi
I think Intel defines it as everything else other the core proper, like the extra stuff added that the Core 2 doesnt have for example. MadMan summed it up pretty well.

lastly going to toss out a few things on the CPU then I'll get building.
Sspec: SLBCK Costa Rica
Batch: 3835A730

Hope this one is a good cookie

OK here is the update....

Its all bad news

System is stable for about 2 hours or so at stock speeds then i get a BSOD
Error i get is 1 of the 2
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
MEMORY_MANAGEMNT

They are the only two i get and witch one is random.
This is at stock speed and 150bCLK (stock voltage)

So i brought the PC to the store as they wanted to see what was going so I could get an RMA going for me.
Low and behold, worked perfect then.

So I come home and it works great...
For about 2 hours... This is when i clue in about the the time it takes for problems and look up the errors and take some pics so I can get my RMA....

Test the ram stick by stick and single and dual channel.

My finding are 1 stick of RAM will not let the system post if its in single or dual channel operation.....
Yet it passed memtest 86+ 2.10 very odd.

So i have the PC off for a while and do some dishes.

Once again after its been off for a while that stick works just fine.
Looks like i will be going back to the to get shop again and trying to get some new RAM now that i know exactly what is going on.
Just waiting on the RMA guys to call me back.

I am heading in the right direction right?

Last edited:
I thought the stock Bclock was 133? You said 150.

Which RAM slots are you using? The pic of the eVGA X58 I just saw had a diagram that was very specific as to which slots you should populate depending on how many RAM sticks are installed. I figure you may have similar requirements on that GB board.

This might sound stupid but did you start with a fresh Windows install?, the X58 chipset drivers do not play nice with others...I tried that and had loads of problems BSOD etc, best to start fresh.

@thegreek
Yeah the sink is on nice and good. Load testing all cores it was in the high 40's low 50's.

@jason4207
Should say "and" not "of" for my bCLK.
I'll edit that.
Yeah my board does say what slots to use and i was using the ones i was told to.

@Brolloks
Fresh Everything thats inside the case. Only the monitor and KB/mouse are being re-used.
What Ram you using on your Gigagyte board?

So i have new RAM coming
Should be able to pick that up Friday night.

I'll let you all know how its going

I'm starting up the Giga X58 today....been using Ballistix (2) and a Kingston mix in the P6T which works great at 1600 CL7 and 1.72 v.

@Brolloks
Fresh Everything thats inside the case. Only the monitor and KB/mouse are being re-used.
What Ram you using on your Gigagyte board?

So i have new RAM coming
Should be able to pick that up Friday night.

I'll let you all know how its going

I think he meant a fresh install of windows, not 'fresh' hardware. If you're using a new HDD then I guess the windows install has to be fresh, though.

Also what bios are you using, there is a F3 one out that is suppose to address some RAM compatibility issues.

Back