• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overlcocking question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yomny

I've done some reading but i really cant get this out of my head. There are still a couple of things i need clarification on and i hope you guys could help me. I've managed to OC my pc using the clock frequency or fsb and the multiplier. Im using an Asus M2N Sli Deluxe mobo. Now i dont have that HTT multpiplier you talk about or if i do have it i dont have control over it. Can you explain, if its so important to overclocking how can some mobos dont show it or give you control over it. The other thing is the ram devider which i read in a thread to be set to 133 which is the lowest. I have an AMD 6400+ and well my mobo allows me to set ram frequency only 400 533 600 and 800 is that my ram devider? If i dont have control over those things on my mobo does it mean it controls it automatically. I hope this isn't too much junk for you guys. I've done a lot of reading and im really kinda tired ot trying to sort things out in my head.. i need a human to explain it. Thanks again for any of your support.

The HT Link multi should be under the Advanced/CPU Config page in BIOS.

Also on that page is DRAM Config - that's where the RAM dividers (400, 533, 600, 800) should be.
400 = 1:2
533 = 2:3
600 = 3:4
800 = 1:1

You may have to change an [Auto] setting to [Manual] or [User] to see other options ...

ok i see what you mean, i do have the ability to change the "cpu multiplier" as called by my mobo but dont have access to anything that says HT link multiplier. Now the ram i see what you mean, so if i set the 400 533 600 800 what im doing really is setting a devider instead of setting the speed of my actual ram. What i mean is if i select 533 that doesn't mean that the ram is going to run at 533 is just telling the pc to use 2:3??

Correct good sir.
As for your HT LInk Multiplier try looking here. (Took a bit to find that pic). Anyway, there is your HTT links. You will want to play with the CPU <--> NB Speed. I would be careful about playing with the other settings. You shouldn't have to touch them. The only reason you will want to lower your HTT settings is if your HTT Bus goes over 1000.

CPU Bus * CPU <-->NB HT Speed = HTT Bus.

Best practice keep it at x4 or x3, depending on how much you have OCed.

wow you are the man.. i would have never guessed that one..So when i overclock i should reduce that multiplier in order to keep the bus speed(affecting the ram) lower?

Whats weird is that my cpu is currently at 3.31 from 3.2 not a huge thing but decent with a stock cooler and all i have done is decrease cpu multiplier from 16 to 15 and inrease FSB to 220 or 221. Could it be that all other settings being in auto, the mobo is automatically adjusting or decreasing HT multiplier to allow everything else to run normal? Im intrigued

Right. Anything from 200-250 should have a 4X HT Link multi. Anything above 250 and it should be set to 3X. That always keeps the value at or below 1000 MHz.

That's possible. I suggest turning all standard OC settings to manual even if you set them to stock values. That way the computer can't run amok with the Auto settings. Here's a few more hints ... :)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

Thanks a lot, i was playing with all those things yesturday but couldn't really get aynthing stable, but i did see my bus speed above 1000 which according to your post above could be problems. The last thing im getting confused is the dram mhz. I noticed that with the pc overclocked a few mhz i go to the dram frequency(bios) and set it to 533(which is what i have) and the ram shown i cpuZ was at around 556 which is showing an overclock. So what my dram setting in Bios does is actually set the ram speed. Should i set it to 400 to give it space once overclocked to reach the 533 mhz speed? Also my memory is alittle cheap crucial w/o heatspreaders or anything and is rated at 1.8V so i really cant bump the volts or can i?

I don't think it would be wise to increase the memory volts to 1.8v.
I could give you all the calculations right here, but what fun is that? When it comes to memory speed, keeping it at a 1:1 ratio with the Bus is best practice, but this normally requires a CPU that has a high multiplier. Never the less, For you I would say, increase the speed of the Memory just by a bit over the stock. You will start to see limitations once your CPU hits a certain point. Then it comes down to your voltage for the memory.

how can i calculate the speed of my HT, the mhz? so i could know what im going to have it at before i set the fSB and multiplier?

HTT = FSB * HT Multiplier

In your case:

HTT = FSB * CPU <--> NB Speed

The CPU <--> NB Speed should have 6 options: 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, and Auto

makes a lot of sense, now i tried different things like using 220x15 and drop HT to 4. My HTT then was 882 so im good as long as im @ 1000 or lower? But the system wasn't stable?? how come.

One question.. by having the HTT @ 1000 or lower (in my Cpu's case) i dont have to worry about anything else being overlclocked like the pcie or other stuff?

Thanks alot for your help im really close to getting this.. it seems that all i need to get down is the dRamsettings and timings, volts.

Last edited:
Ahh, welcome to your memory Wall, or could be vCore.

Since you found that at current X vCore, and Y memory settings, you can have 220x15.
You should now try to increase your vCore beyond X, but not to much. Should only take 1 or 2 notches. If that doesn't do the trick, try your memory settings. Your memory settings will take time to find the sweet spot, but once you find it, you should be good for a while once more.

ok, i haven't been using stock voltage, my cpu the 6400+ is rated at 1.3-1.4v and im using 1.4..Is it ok to give a bit more or will that just contribute to being unstable. My ram at the moment is only rated at 1.8v so i really dont think i should bump it. One thing, by having the HTT under 1000 does that decrease the computers performance in any way.. or does it simply help with OC'ing... Or should i start with the vcore at 1.35 and start all over again. I just went to the max that i rad i could give the cpu and started there.

No problem Voidale, there is an entire guide that QuiteIce has made, should be around here somewhere.

The voltage of you CPU can go as high as 1.50 without seeing any problems. Above that, and you will require Liquid cooling or higher to keep the cpu under good temps. When you do hit 1.5v, and trust me you will, you should start seeing your cpu idle somewhere close to 50C. So be careful and make sure to have something like CoreTemp running. Since you only have it at 1.4, give it a bit more of a boost.
And for your HT:
HyperTransport Link and More
The HT Link is the least important OC piece, which is why it's the last thing to play with. All the HDD data runs through this link but even a pair of SATA II's won't over-tax it at 800 MHz and if it's running too fast you can get data corruption on the HDDs. In the example above there are two possible outcomes for the clock, 243 and 260. Since the HT Link should be kept near 1000 MHz the 243 clock speed would work fine with an HT Link multiplier of 4X, yielding a speed of (243x4 =) 972 MHz. 260x4 is a little fast at 1040 MHz but most mid- to high-range boards will run that easily. Older, cheap boards may have problems with 1040 which may not be apparent until some important file is corrupted. Generally, anything over 1100 MHz is too high - even for an excellent board and quite honestly you'll never see a difference from 840 to 1120 MHz HT Link unless you're running a file server or burning an awful lot of CD/DVD's all at once! If you're running a server I just wouldn't risk the extra speed for the possible loss of data. For burners, let's say I'd have to see some really big performance difference to exceed this speed limit!

ok, i haven't been using stock voltage, my cpu the 6400+ is rated at 1.3-1.4v and im using 1.4..Is it ok to give a bit more or will that just contribute to being unstable. My ram at the moment is only rated at 1.8v so i really dont think i should bump it. One thing, by having the HTT under 1000 does that decrease the computers performance in any way.. or does it simply help with OC'ing... Or should i start with the vcore at 1.35 and start all over again. I just went to the max that i rad i could give the cpu and started there.

The M2N-SLI Deluxe MB undervolts the cpu, if your not using CPUZ, download
it and check your Vcore, it will give you a more accurate read-out.
This will help with stability. The board also has some Vdroop under load as well
and you might have to bump the Vcore up a bit.

sounds true because in CPUZ, which i already have the volts are always low.. i assumed it was wrong..

CPU-Z is an excellent program for system status. Any given board usually has a vDrop of some kind (vDrop = the difference between BIOS setting and actual volts delivered). Some boards compensate and yield a slightly higher vCore instead - but either way it's seldom exactly the same as the BIOS setting. That's why programs like CPU-Z are out there ...

Back