• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how are the 4870x2's doing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mekks

well im going to sell my 4870 and upgrade along with a new monitor. only two upgrade options i see are the 4870x2 or 280gtx.

im kinda scared of the x2 how is driver support doing?

My buddy has been playing everything from the Source Engine (DoDS/L4D), to CoD4/5, to Fallout 3 // etc just fine with 8.11 (latest).

I would recommend taking a hard look at your psu. According to GPU-Z, anything past the stock settings draw 50 amps or more on my HIS 4870x2. Both GPUs run all out at the settings I have when playing COD4. If I try to oc any of the stock speeds, I get texture flicking real bad and real big ones. It maybe the 8.10 drivers and the issues they've had. Still, the Antec I got was on ATI's certified list. I wish I would have gone with something bigger now, but I was extremely tight on money when I got it a week ago.

I would recommend taking a hard look at your psu. According to GPU-Z, anything past the stock settings draw 50 amps or more on my HIS 4870x2. Both GPUs run all out at the settings I have when playing COD4. If I try to oc any of the stock speeds, I get texture flicking real bad and real big ones. It maybe the 8.10 drivers and the issues they've had. Still, the Antec I got was on ATI's certified list. I wish I would have gone with something bigger now, but I was extremely tight on money when I got it a week ago.

yea i plan to also get a new psu when i order either. i play wow mostly which hates duel gpu setup.. but does not need alot of gpu power. i also play cod4/5 alot of steam games, l4d ect...

im just really scared to get a 4870x2 and get crap support like the 3 series duel gpu cards did.

Meh, I dout that will happen. The 3800 series wasn't as big of a hit as the 4800 series...so, it will probably last a while.

im just really scared to get a 4870x2 and get crap support like the 3 series duel gpu cards did.

Actually I plan on going back to quad fire 3870 X2's...cards should be here sometime next week or so...

I am honestly not that impressed by a single 4870 x2 vs quad fire 3870 X2's...

Honestly...save 150.00 - 200.00 and find 2 good used Asus TOP 3870 X2's...

Actually I plan on going back to quad fire 3870 X2's...cards should be here sometime next week or so...

I am honestly not that impressed by a single 4870 x2 vs quad fire 3870 X2's...

Honestly...save 150.00 - 200.00 and find 2 good used Asus TOP 3870 X2's...

I'd have to disagree, the fastest I ever got my 3870x2's with a quad CPU @ 4ghz was around 20k 3dm06 and COD4 ran like crap. With my single 4870x2 it ran 21k 3dmark06 on an E8600 @ 4.5ghz, and of course cod4 just flies on this card.

Benching on a single card...yea Vantage and 01...but thats it...all of my other scores cant beat what I did on CF 3870 X2....

But I am not talking just benching...all around the 4870 X2 was not worth the upgrade...dont see spending 500.00 on a card to get a 2 - 5% scale...

Save the extra cash...but the dual 3870 X2's and use the saved money to upgrade other hardware...

I have been very satisfied with my 4570 X2. I don't know if it is the actual card performance or the changes in drivers but my 4870 X2 performs much better than the 3870 X2 did.

Back