• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Far Cry 2 stuters badly on HD 4850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiggy Fuzz

my specs: Q6600, overclocked to 3Ghz
2GB ram
asus p5q pro motherboard. the rest isn't really important...

i've had my HD 4850 for a while now, and while it demolishes my 9800GT in every game, including far cry 2, at some points in the game the game stutters very very badly. it seems to happen at random, just a few minutes ago i was on a "blow up a weapons convoy" mission, at night. i've played around with the settings, trying it with v syncing and without, anti aliasing on and off (won't go over 4x, though), and settings hovering between high, very high and ultra high (dx 10 won't go lower than high). no luck.

i'm using the latest catalyst drivers (8.11), but i haven't tried the hotfix (i assumed it would be included with the updated drivers)

does anybody else have any issues with this game? i have another HD 4850 waiting under my bed, i'm just waiting for my crossfire bridges to turn up in the post.

thanks in advance

some people on another thread has some stuttering problems, which they solved by turning off hardware polling of the gpu temp:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=584816

Give that a shot, and let us know how it works. I just got my 4850 and haven't played with it much yet, but if its something we should all be aware of, I'd like to know.

open the console (^) and type gfx_maxfps 35..

this will limit your framerate to 35 fps, you might even try 45.. personally I feel no real difference between the two, most likely due to motion blur, where you don't notice the difference anyways..

this is currently the only reliable solution to the problem, as far as I know..

open the console (^) and type gfx_maxfps 35..

this will limit your framerate to 35 fps, you might even try 45.. personally I feel no real difference between the two, most likely due to motion blur, where you don't notice the difference anyways..

this is currently the only reliable solution to the problem, as far as I know..

is this a known issue with the game, the 4850, or both?

Any other games where this has to be done?

Can you link to any threads or anything discussing this issue and/or resolution?

I got that from a german FC2 forum, don't have the link right now It is only present in FC2 in combination with a HD4800 series card..

Should be noted somewhere in The FC2 thread on this forum as well, though (in the games section)

great! and i just bought an HD 4850 by Visiontek. i really feel confident now in my first ATI purchase in over 5+ years.

thanks.

/sarcasm

heheheh it was either that or one of the comparablly priced $170 or so nvidia cards. don't think i could go wrong either way. and probably about time for a change anyhoo.

it's just 1 game..... right ?

Or you could just not worry about one game not working. Far Cry 2 was a complete failure compared to Crysis and Far Cry 1. The game is BORING and repetative. So if you only have problems in one game, it's not the end of the world. The cards are still really nice.

problems now, i've tried the gfx_setfps thing, and it still stutters. i received my crossfire bridges and tried it all in crossfire, and received absolutely no performance boost whatsoever. i'm still getting the same frames before stuttering begins.

however, i ran a few benchmarks with dx10 disabled and the stuttering stopped (?).

how can i tell if crossfire is actually working, anyway? gpuz says one thing but i don't trust it if nothing's happening (devil may cry 4 benchmarks seem unchanged, also)

Or you could just not worry about one game not working. Far Cry 2 was a complete failure compared to Crysis and Far Cry 1. The game is BORING and repetative. So if you only have problems in one game, it's not the end of the world. The cards are still really nice.

Yeah I know, I've not yet bought FC2 for those gameplay reasons and now this? Yeah now I really can wait.

That is exactly how I fixed it as well.

e11943a6031a0e6114ae69c257617980.gif

Did you notice the stuttering in other games, or just FC2?

i'm currently using the catalyst 8.11 drivers - i tried with that, and the latest far cry 2 hotfix.

The game is boring as hell but if you insist on playing then make sure V Sync is on and set the textures to High, also use standard 2x Box AA...none of the edge detect stuff...Cat AI off and Adaptive AA off. Also about DX10...the game has serious issues under DX10...lots of missing textures and shadow problems. Set it to DX9 and leave it.... Im assuming your running Vista...2gigs of ram is not enough for a new title game....you need 4...I know, Ive run extensive testing on both and at different speeds and theres no way around the fact that 4 is much smoother and faster...4 gig of DDR2 800 beats 2 gig of DDR2 1200....such is life....

i turned off the cat ai thing, and the stuttering in dx 10 was reduced. it hardly stutters now...

but there are a couple of minor(ish) side effects...

first one, it seems my main character has injected himself with something strong...

second one must be the effects of blacking out after taking suspicious substance...

in crossfire i was getting a consistent 32FPS, with catalyst ai disabled... until colours and black came along. i'm retrying the latest drivers and will actually use the control centre to modify a few settings, see if anything will make a difference.

Back