• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory and i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukee

I have 4 x 2 Gskill 7-7-7-18 1.9V 1600 MHz memory.

When I run it at 1333 MHz, iirc it uses a lot less VDimm. Since the max Vdimm on the new CPU is 1.87V, would I be able to run that memory at say 1333 MHz or would I have to get new memory?

I wouldn't put in all 4 sticks, just 3 at least for the time being.

What do you guys think?

you wil actually get better performance going dual channel, so throw all 4 sticks in.

No you don't need new memory. Read up on the OC guide on XS. They tell you that you need to maintain a "vdimm to uncore" ratio. i believe it is 1.5 to 1. Check with brollocks.

If this is the case, then I may go ahead upgrade. I've got 8 sticks of DDR 3 1600 MHz ram. 4 - Gskill and 4 - Kingston Hyper X

Tempting, very tempting.. I may do it if I can find a good cooling solution.

I have 2 4870x2 GPUs. One in each machine, I could use them both and just use a 9800Gx2 for my 2nd PC which is mainly for my son to play and do his HW.

make a monster pc, your son will be fine with "just" a 9800GX2. LOL

just for reference, a P6T takes maximium 12gigs of ram. The gigabyte takes the full 24gigs. However, the P6T has 2 more cpu phases i believe.

What would those 2 CPU phases do for me?

I would want a board where the GPUs would run 16x/16x/x

That way I maximize the card's potential.

I wonder how much I can get for my old stuff.

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi x 2
E8400 C0 lapped
E8600 lapped
(I think that I'll keep the Q9550 or should I keep the E8600?)

A 9800 GX2 will only run on an Nvidia board right? I also have an EVGA 790i Ultra SLI MB which I can use if the GX2 won't run on an intel MB.

the 9800GX2 will run on any mobo. You can only SLI on a sli mobo.

Both the P6T-deluxe and the gigabyte 58 extreme will support full 16x/16x crossfire.

for the Gx2, you need to enable SLI in order to get the benefits of the 2 cards, so will this still run on an intel board?

the GX2 is a single card if your tring to enable SLI then that means your tring to run 2 GX2's. the GX2 is auto SLI'd which is why people would want to get that card to have NV sli on a intel board.

you can run any single card in a intel board that includes the GX2 because it is one card. It plugs into one physical PCIE slot not 2 slots, that woudl be sli of course.

the extra 2phases wouldnt make a difference one you have a board that has 8 phases. im not sure which gigaboard white is refering to but the ones i have seen have 6phase pwm for the cpu. this will hinder ocing when tring to reach the max clocks though. i would go with 8 phase because the cpu voltage supply system would be less stressed.

running tri-channel ram on i7 has no RW benfits to US. while it offers more raw ram bandwidth it does if you look at brolloks numbers. show a hit in latency and system performance. you will notice that superpi 32m shows a slight gain from the extra ram bandwidth but wprime 1024m takes a hit. with wprimes 32m run showing the same numbers. i would just use the 4x2gig kit and keep it in dual channle mode. it will also not stress the IMC as much as tri-channel. which may help in getting a more stable oc with less voltage to core and uncore. while i dont have i7 to test that theroy on, i hope brolloks might when he is fininshed with his review.

Aren't the X58 mobo's 16 phase (+2) for p6T

every board is different, let me get some links...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280 1070545356&name=LGA 1366
take the MSI X58 plat for instance, it only has 5 phase. the intel board has the same number of phases as well..

*edit*
also if you count the number of chokes near the cpu, TOP/SIDE of the cpu socket. i count 12 for the gigabyte X58 extreme and the UD5. only difference i see between the 2 is that the extreme has barbs on the NB or whats left for wcing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128361
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128362
now the P6T has a 16phase pwm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131346

both boards already have over 8phase which for a quad is more then enough. at this point between the two your just splitting hairs... what is interesting is that the lower cost boards like the Foxconn/intel/msi all have under 8phase. i would have hoped they came at least with 8phase for the entry boards since we see a $40 spread to the higher end boards with over 8phases. if i had to pick between the 2 for under $300 i would go with the gigabyte X58-UD5, if you look at the board it has the same layout to the T as the extreme but cheaper and no wcing barb for the NB. right now it looks like the best sub $300 X58, but i think the foxconn is going to give it a run for the oc/$ area.

Last edited:
Back