• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Only 1 core reported

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lib319

Registered
I have an e5200 on an Asus P5kpl-am board overclocked to 3260mhz.

Real Temp, CPU z and XP's system performance only show 1 core. Does anyone know how I can see the other core?

benchies2-full;init:.jpg

cheers

Lib

Go into the BIOS and select the option (may not be exactly worded like this) "Reset to default settings". Save and restart the computer, see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, reset your CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard. Your manual will specify how to do this.

If that doesn't, can you please go to the msconfig utility (Start < Run < msconfig). On the second or third tab, there is an option where you can specify the number of CPU's, make sure it is NOT set to 1.

Thanks for that.

Just tired msconfig at work and I can't see an option for specifying the number of cpu's.

I've seen cores failing to show when the OC isn't stable. Would reverting to stock show both cores?

Thanks for that.

Just tired msconfig at work and I can't see an option for specifying the number of cpu's.
Oh, it is there, you just have to find it :p

I'm actually re-installing on my main system (long story) and using my laptop which is running linux, so I can't look :-/

I would try my suggestions in order though.

Always showed 1 core, even before overclock.

BOOT.INI tab/Advanced Options has NUMPROC= then a dropdown list. I'm guessing that must be it. I'll try resetting CMOS first (I've had the bios at default a number of times but always 1 core showing).

Thanks for this, hope it works.

lib

In BIOS there is a MultiProcessing option, make sure that is enabled(or disabled, depending on what it says). Has it always shown only 1 core? Maybe they stole half your core in packaging ;)

In BIOS there is a MultiProcessing option, make sure that is enabled(or disabled, depending on what it says)

That might be the problem, think I have this disabled at the moment. I thought it was for motherboards that can accomodate 2 processors (rather than 1 proc with 2 cores)

That might be the problem, think I have this disabled at the moment. I thought it was for motherboards that can accomodate 2 processors (rather than 1 proc with 2 cores)
If that is disabled, that is your problem.

Also if your bios isn't current its not supporting your e5200 properly 0409 is the latest for that board.

Yep, 0409 is my bios revision.

Anyone familiar with this motherboard? I just put the FSB up to 260 and the ram to 667. Couldn't find PCI lock or a ram divider setting in the bios. Assume its taking care of itself. Temp seems to be about 50-55.

Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate it.

Resetting BIOS and CMOS doesn't fix the problem. MSconfig only gives the option for 1 processor.

There is no entry for multiprocessor in the BIOS, although I think I saw this in the HAL options on WIndows setup (press F5 when setup asks for 3rd party SCSI and raid support).

When I installed XP I set the HAL to ACPI and not Multiprocessor ACPI. Is this the reason why I cannot see 2 cores? Will this affect the performance of the CPU, i.e. is my 5200 running at half its potential?

not sure if its the same bios as mine but when put my q6600 in my board, only 1 core worked. i went into the bios and only 1 core was enabled. maybe look for that?

Don't think a Windows Repair will let you reset the HAL as the HAL is basically the core of Windows. Think a fresh install might be in order. I've made this mistake in the past, was stumped when my QX9650 was only showing 1 core :D Didn't think about it for this case though *doh*

Changed the HAL to Standard PC but other core didn't register (didn't have an option to change it to multiprocessor).

If there is no performance hit then I don't think I will do a reinstall of Windows. I've only just got it running as I want it after a lot of stability problems initially with this PC's setup.

I'm guessing that my chip isn't just running on one core?! If it is, its doing a pretty splendid job all on its own.

" BIOS there is a MultiProcessing option, make sure that is enabled(or disabled, depending on what it says)"

Look in the manual for that option, see if there is a step to changing it that you aren't doing.

Back