• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling for under $200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's not that xx is better than xx ect. Your getting way to complicated. Try 3 fans. Not enough, add more.

Now you get into the individual loop, you make the changes, you measure the results.

This is where good temps vs wanting to get scientific results is up to you.

Best of luck, after 120 posts you should have a good idea what to do.

Still is an individual hobby.

It's not that xx is better than xx ect. Your getting way to complicated. Try 3 fans. Not enough, add more.

Now you get into the individual loop, you make the changes, you measure the results.

This is where good temps vs wanting to get scientific results is up to you.

Best of luck, after 120 posts you should have a good idea what to do.

Still is an individual hobby.
Good point. When everything gets in I'll test with 6 and 9 fans in different locations to see which gives lower temps. About the pump though, should I do what I've been doing with my blocks or can I run some distilled water through it for a bit to flush it out? I'd like to be lazy and not dismantle it, but if running some water through it won't clean it as well I'll just do it the long way.

Yea, that would be fine. Run some h2o through it, not even really needed. But, I found packing foam (teeny bits) in my pump when I opened it up. Im sure it was a rarity.

Yea, that would be fine. Run some h2o through it, not even really needed. But, I found packing foam (teeny bits) in my pump when I opened it up. Im sure it was a rarity.
I bought some Modders Mesh to make some color matched fan grills for the back panel and have a ton of it leftover. I was thinking, could I make shrouds for the radiators with it or would the holes in the mesh just divert airflow away from the rads? And if it's a good idea, how deep are shrouds supposed to be? I can't find measurements for them anywhere.

Modders Mesh. Hmm. Made to cover fan holes? Pretty open design? If your not pushing your rads limits with airflow, why not try it.

Shrouds help by moving the fans away from the rad, removing the fan motor dead spot because it's so close to the rad and straighenting airflow Again, you can see some benefit, but it's small, like 1C on final CPU temps. Only if your rad needs more air after installing and testing will you know. I don't think you will.

So your gonna run two MCR 320s, GTX 280 and a Q9300 right? If so you need 3 low or undervolted meduims on the rads. Any more and your wasting fannage. Your not even close to pushing the temps on those rads. 3 fans per rad if your sig is right.

Modders Mesh. Hmm. Made to cover fan holes? Pretty open design? If your not pushing your rads limits with airflow, why not try it.

Shrouds help by moving the fans away from the rad, removing the fan motor dead spot because it's so close to the rad and straighenting airflow Again, you can see some benefit, but it's small, like 1C on final CPU temps. Only if your rad needs more air after installing and testing will you know. I don't think you will.

So your gonna run two MCR 320s, GTX 280 and a Q9300 right? If so you need 3 low or undervolted meduims on the rads. Any more and your wasting fannage. Your not even close to pushing the temps on those rads. 3 fans per rad if your sig is right.
I never knew the negligible improvements of a shroud. The Yates are pretty quiet anyways, and since I'm putting the 3 layer Acoustipack foam on the bottom panel and some 2 layer inside the frames I don't think I'll even need my Rheobus. Since I don't know exactly what the front panel looks like I'm holding off on a lot of the final touches, like Molex extensions that can be hidden in the frame and perfect length cables, until I can measure the case. Since everything for the watercooling is in I'm waiting for MM to ship my case.

Last edited:
Back