• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth overclocking GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yomny

Hello everyone, i've spent a day or so trying to overclock my BFG 260 GTX from 630CC/1063MC to 735CC/1275MC. Im using evga precision to clock and ati tool to test and of course an hour or so of crysis 1680x1050 no AA and very high settings. I dont really see an big increase if any at all in FPS. Stock gpu settings i get 25 average and well with the overclock is still very similar may 26 or so on average..
These are the 3D performance clocks that im OC'ing
So my question is it worth the extra heat and stress on the GPU? I know crysis is very demanding and maybe on other games i will see a much higher rate in increase in FPS's..

It's worth it for some games. Most nowadays don't need a gtx 260 to be OC'd and still get 100+ fps. I just use default clock speeds for those games. But when playing very GPU intensive games where my fps is often below 60, like Crysis Warhead and Sacred 2, I use my maximum stable OC profile (in sig).

You should notice more than a 1 fps increase with the OC (it varies depending on scene, but I get around 10 more avg. fps). Could be your CPU holding it back, if you're running at stock speed.

could be, i could run COD4 with everything in extra high and AFiltering halfway with 80-125 fps.. i should look into OC'ing the cpu thanks for your reply.. I should also do some bench test to see if i see any improvements..Oh and how did you and can i only get my BFG to OC the memory clock to 1275 and you got a 2214 wow that impressive anything in particular you did?

Crysis is probably causing a bottleneck somewhere else, especially with a 10%+ overclock. keep task manager open while your playing, then look back to see how much load your cpu has, it might be able to use a nudge.

I believe he's posting the DDR mhz, 1107Mhz x 2 = 2214

good idea, it never really cross my mind that the q6600 could be pushed so hard by this game and the 260 gtx but it doesn't hurt to look.. and what you said about the ram makes sense because 2214 is a little high.. Thanks though for your help

oh, yes my GPU RAM is at 1107 x 2.

Crysis isn't utilizing all 4 cores of the Q6600, so it counts it like a dual core 2.4 ghz (and same for most other games). So it's not like it's pushing it, but more like isn't utilizing all the cores and a higher clock speed will make more difference than 4 cores.

i see what you're saying.. ok so it makes sense i ll look into your suggestions and begin my overlcocking quest once again.. didn't have much luck with my previous cpu (amd) but then again it wasn't a popular OC'er.

yeah, that is definitely being held back by the stock Q6600. You should see a MAJOR difference going from 2.4G to say 3.2G Definitely in Crysis. I know I saw a major difference when upping my CPU OC.

The deal is that your GPU is able to process massive amounts of data, and even more quickly when overclocked. But that data isn't getting fed to the GPU fast enough because the CPU cannot keep up.

It doesn't matter that you have a quad core because different tasks in the game are only using one core at a time. So say one core is calculating physics, one calculating AI, etc, etc... But by overclocking the CPU you greatly improve how fast it can feed the GPU.

thanks guys, well im currently trying to OC my q6600 but man i can't get more than a 2.7ghz with stock voltages. I've read several guides but the second i star bumping the voltages i stop booting. If you have any input or help.. Quick question.. when setting voltage in bios it is said that the actual voltage read by CPUZ is always lower.. so how can i compensate. My current voltages on the core are at 1.26 but then if i try and go up into the green voltages on my mobos bios which are 1.37v in bios im not sure if it acutally bumps it up when read by cpuz. Not sure if im making any sense here but im just struggling when i need to start messing with my volts. thanks again for your help

Back