• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

48degrees w/ AMD 1700+ with Dragon Orb? Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sonny said:
A few points;

1. The ClubOverclocker heatsink guide uses the Thermistor for temp readings so it's up to you if you want to trust something that has been proven to be inaccurate;

Yes but there is such a thing as consistent inaccuracy which makes it reliable data. They use the same motherboard, with the same thermistor, with the same OC'ed CPU, only variable is the HSF. So that Top Ten list is quite correct it's just the degrees they report are off by a few degrees, so when you get your HSF you will get just about the same temps their inaccurate thermistor got.

Just like the air chuck we use to check tire pressure and fill them with air, it's off by 5 lbs, we all know that, so we compensate for it. The same can be done with thermistors.

Consistent inaccuracy.

~Vash~

VashTheStampede said:
Yes but there is such a thing as consistent inaccuracy which makes it reliable data. They use the same motherboard, with the same thermistor, with the same OC'ed CPU, only variable is the HSF. So that Top Ten list is quite correct it's just the degrees they report are off by a few degrees, so when you get your HSF you will get just about the same temps their inaccurate thermistor got.

Consistent inaccuracy.
That one variable is all it needs to mess up your "Consistent Inaccuracy". The design of the heatsink can influence how air hits the MoBo therefore have more than one variable change.
Written by JoeC
The ********* has some real problems delivering aggressive performance, due, I think, to the heatsink's airflow stalling. Note, however, Motherboard Monitor temps - look darn good! What's happening here is very interesting: The fan is blowing LOTS of air at a downward angle onto the motherboard. This does add to CPU cooling, but not to the degree indicated by the in-socket thermistor.

High airflow from the fan onto the board is cooling the thermistor more than the CPU, giving a misleading temp reading.
No matter how they test it if they use the Thermistor then it will be wrong.

Thermistors do not even have linear correlation with cpu temps mostly. They are not consistently inaccurate at all, they are just plain wrong (prevoously noted air issue and being on a secondary heat path). If they wanted to be taken seriously they need at least a thermocouple probe or better still an XP diode. Anything other than an internal diode is going to exhibit poor quality results.

Okay guys,
Why would my XP1800 run around 48 to 49c idle, and only 51 to 53c loaded? And that's with the case closed or open.

I'm using a Volcano 6Cu+, with A/S II, and the fan averages 7200rpm.
I have been looking at better HSF's, but haven't been able to make up my mind, and then a buddy got me looking a water coolers the other day...

So what do ya think, do I need to re-seat my HSF?

What are the case temps?
What mobo are you using?

My mobo runs hot and the cpu is always within a few degrees + or - case open or closed. Thermoengine extreme(ick!) but a lapped 7000 delta on it.

rogerdugans said:
What are the case temps?
What mobo are you using?
Sorry...

Case temps range from 33 to 35c with case open and I'm using an Abit KR7A.
I'm monitoring with SpeedFan 4.02 and Hardware Doctor, which both stay extremely close to the same.

The location is one factor cause I have it under my desk, so it doesn't get the air circulation it needs. I have the side panel off and it's sits 3 or 4 inches away from the desk.
I have 2 80mm case fans (1 in 1 out) and I have another 80mm setting under my hard drive to help it. (it runs 29 to 31c)
I just finished playing a game and the temp was up to 55.5c on my CPU, which is the highest I've seen it. I have raised the volts on my DDR to 2.75, which runs more at 2.78v, but I didn't think it would make much difference. And my vid card is o/c'd to 240/544 if that matters.
I'm planning on getting a larger case, new HSF, and rounded cables ASAP, but I wondered if this was somewhat normal, or if I had better make some changes pronto?

Thanks for the help

Case seems a bit warm- most of mine are in the 20s somewhere.
I do have on that runs low to mid 30s though.

Is the hsf on right? How thin/thick is the AS2? Most people say they get the best results with the thinnest possible coat on the cpu die.

Is your hsf lapped? A flatter sink will get better contact and transfer heat better.

48 dosen't sound too bad to me if its full load.

I have a Alpha PAL8045 w/ delta 68cfm on my tbird @ 1500
that goes anywhere from 42 - 50 just depending
on how warm it is in the room and how many bird
feathers and dander have gotten lodged in the
heatsink(don't ask).

If you want to go lower check out some of the better performing
heatsink fan cobos such as the Alpha, Swiftec, Glaciator or SK6 with a high cfm fan.

Well you shouldn't be getting over 37 full load at all with your Alpha. With good thermal compound, good contact(Possibly lapped) and 300cfm+ airflow you should get max 34-35 degrees full load.

I've seen an AMD Stock fan lapped w/ ASII and it managed to hit 42 load thats good.

Yodums

Tycho said:
48 dosen't sound too bad to me if its full load.

I have a Alpha PAL8045 w/ delta 68cfm on my tbird @ 1500
that goes anywhere from 42 - 50 just depending
on how warm it is in the room and how many bird
feathers and dander have gotten lodged in the
heatsink(don't ask).

If you want to go lower check out some of the better performing
heatsink fan cobos such as the Alpha, Swiftec, Glaciator or SK6 with a high cfm fan.

rogerdugans said:
Case seems a bit warm- most of mine are in the 20s somewhere.
I do have on that runs low to mid 30s though.

Is the hsf on right? How thin/thick is the AS2? Most people say they get the best results with the thinnest possible coat on the cpu die.

Is your hsf lapped? A flatter sink will get better contact and transfer heat better.

When I had my memory problem on 12/28 http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?threadid=54710 the way I got things running again, was I stripped everything out of the case and even took the HSF off, checked out the mobo and then put it all back together. Given the "Highly Agitated" state I was in, I know that I didn't take very much time when I reinstalled the HSF. In other words, it probably was thicker then the first time.

And to answer your 2nd question, "Nope", not lapped.

I just installed nVidia's 23.12 drivers and did a B/M to see if there was any changes. While I did that I moved my case out more so it was well opened and I haven't moved it back. My CPU temp is down to 44c, case is 32c, and hard drive is 27c.
So one thing for sure, until I do my coolant upgrade, I have to get my case out from under the desk.
I think I'll reseat my HSF also and spend a little more time with the AS.

Thanks for all the help, I do appreciate it! :)

BTW:
No improvement with the 23.12 drivers and 3DMark2000, I got one more point then I did with the 23.11's: 11039

hombre said:
Case temps range from 33 to 35c with case open and I'm using an Abit KR7A.

The location is one factor cause I have it under my desk, so it doesn't get the air circulation it needs.
Ambient temps. You cant cool below your room temp or location of your case.

Yodums said:
Well you shouldn't be getting over 37 full load at all with your Alpha. With good thermal compound, good contact(Possibly lapped) and 300cfm+ airflow you should get max 34-35 degrees full load.
What is this based on? Do you know what the temperature of the room he is at?

Well I have 2 tbird 1400 systems, one is using an iwill kk266 with a glaciator and the other is an ecs k7s5a with the pal8045. The one with the alpha cools alot better but I have never seen either of them go below 40 deg C load. The thermometer on my desk is reading 82.2 deg F and the System temp of the ecs board is reading 26 deg C with the cpu reading 43 deg C. I use artic silver and have this pal bolted down very tight. I think that maybe either my boards are reading high or some others are reading low.
Anyway, all that matters to me is staying below 50 deg C at full load, I'm using rc5 to generate the heat and so far I haven't found anything that gets the processor hotter than it does.

Hey guys,

Okay, I remembered that I had a digital multimeter with a temp probe, so after I found the dang thing I did a little testin'.

-Idle Temps-
Case Temp: 32c (with side off/under desk)
Multimeter: 28c

CPU: 44c (this afternoon I was at 55c after a game) :eek:
Multi: 36c

Hard Drive: 27c
Multi: 28c

Room Temp: 20c (it's much warmer during the day)

Now the multimeter's CPU temp can't be too accurate cause the monitor sensor is under the processor and I could only hold the probe on the outer edge of it. (of coarse you knew that already)

What really surprized me was my vid card was showing 32c, which was higher than I expected. Right now I have it turned down just a bit to 230/530, so I wonder how much hotter it gets at 240/544 under load? I put a 60mm HSF on it which runs around 6200 rpm, but I had already figured on upgrading it also; good thing too.

Back