• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epic lag in fallout 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

I got fallout 3 last week but its running horribly regardless of display settings. Every 10-20 seconds the game locks up, sound keeps playing, and after about 3-5s it's normal again. Resolution or detail doesn't seem to matter. I got the newest drivers et al.

Core2duo 6600 / Asus P5B / 2gb ddr2 / ati x1950xt

Other games (Eve, COD, RA3) run fine..any ideas why fallout doesn't?

- Sjaak.

Same symptoms I had with Left 4 Dead... maybe the same error? Alt-tab out of the game, go to your Task Manager and set affinity to Fallout3.exe to a single core and see if that helps?

make sure you install the patch too, the only thing that seemed to actually get fixed was the alt tab crash but when you do get it working good make sure you hit F5 often just in case you encounter the random and frequent crashes that most others have been running into

Update your ffdshow codecs and hide the systray icon via its settings. Had all kinds of problems until I did this (just like Oblivion originally). Still have the random crashes but hiding the ffdshow icon (FO3 uses it for audio) helps alot with stability.

I have found that the x1950 series plays nicer with older drivers, 7.6 for my 1950xt seems nice and tame. Try that out.

I started with those and it was just as bad :(

Update your ffdshow codecs and hide the systray icon via its settings. Had all kinds of problems until I did this (just like Oblivion originally). Still have the random crashes but hiding the ffdshow icon (FO3 uses it for audio) helps alot with stability.

Done, will try it later

Back