• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant low-level system lag...!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is_907

So this may take a few words to describe but I'm hoping for some troubleshooting help.

Here's what happened: I went away for a few days and left my system running, no problems when I got back. I shut down and installed an expansion slot cooler next to my 9800GT (Antec, two-slot cooler to exhaust GPU fan air.)
After that I increased my GPU OC a bit because the cooler seemed to be working well and then I installed VMWare Workstation again, which required a reboot.
The reboot took over 10 minutes... once I got to my UI in Windows (after 6mins or so) it took another 4-5minutes just to load my network, Core Temp, GPU2 Folding, etc. Normally I go from cold shut down to browsing in well under one minute.

After this I tried uninstalling VMWare from safe mode; no effect.
Then I used system restore from the point when I installed VMW; no effect.
System restore from the previous day; no effect.
Removed wifi card; no effect.
Removed expansion slot cooler; no effect.

I'm kind of at a loss here. MemTest shows no problems and I couldn't get WD's hard drive diagnostics thing to load.

Ideas??

Clarifications: This is all in Vista Ultimate x64
I'm leaning toward thinking that it's the HD or GPU dying... I seem to be getting lots of HD activity (LED indicator).

Clarifications: This is all in Vista Ultimate x64
I'm leaning toward thinking that it's the HD or GPU dying... I seem to be getting lots of HD activity (LED indicator).

Probably went to PIO mode because of SATA corruption.

May also be bad sectors.

Back