• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shader OC in Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is_907

Anyone know how to overclock GPU shader domains in Linux? I figured it would be better to ask here as shader OCs are pretty important to Folders ;)

The nvidia-settings app that came with the drivers only lets me OC the core and the memory.

Also, I *need* a way to force the fan to run at 90%... my core temp is way higher while Folding than I'd like it to be. Why isn't RivaTuner available for *nix? (=

Apparently NVClock handles fan speed control nicely... however I can't get it or the nvidia-settings app to make any OC stick =(
Also, still no unlocked shader OC or even shader speed reading.

If you increase the core clock, the shaders will follow by default. I don't know how fast they would be running though.

If you increase the core clock, the shaders will follow by default. I don't know how fast they would be running though.

Right, they are locked to some ratio with the core. I'm just used to RivaTuner which allows me to unlock them and I can get the shaders to 1800MHz (stock is 1500) without bringing the core to more than 650.

I guess I'll look into flashing it.

Right, they are locked to some ratio with the core. I'm just used to RivaTuner which allows me to unlock them and I can get the shaders to 1800MHz (stock is 1500) without bringing the core to more than 650.

I guess I'll look into flashing it.
OH! I'm sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I didn't realize you were asking to overclock the shaders separate from the core clock. :bang head

From what I've heard, it isn't possible. I've been wrong in the past though.

Yeah, I thought about that but no go.
Also tried RivaTuner through WINE... the installer goes but it can't launch the app. *shrug*
I'll fiddle with it more later.

I don't believe rivatuner will work because it pools directly for the hardware and it's not aware it's inside of Wine. So when it trying to get the information on the card and it only receives Wine's info it doesn't know what to do.

YES!!

You're doing exactly what I plan to do in a week or so. In fact I just joined to post in this thread.

I just snagged an MSI 9600 GSO and am going to run it via Linux as soon as the term ends (I'd do it before, but thats waay too tempting). Even got a 7 dollar after rebate Zerotherm Hurricane which I plan to mod with a 120mm fan (or keep the 92.. whatev) on Newegg. And no I didn't pay the Newegg price for the GSO (though its not terrible.. but not the 50 dollar wonder the GSO can be).

Do me a favor, if you figure out how to screw with the shader clocks in Linux, let me know. Im afraid right now its a WinXP tweak fest and a bios mod when I'm done to finish the job. If you cant figure it out.. well let me know what kinda performance you get out of it. It should give me an idea of whether or not I'm on track when I finish... hard to find Linux folders..

Linux folding has always been my preference... just inconvenient for GPU folding atm.

I can give you some estimated performance quotes but they're not great right now... been getting the 548 pt WUs instead of ye olde reliable 480pt ones ;)
Let me pull up FahMon...

I'm getting ~3500 to 3600ppd unless I get 4743 and 4744 WUs which yield over 3700ppd. I know for a fact that a good solid shader OC would give me over 4k ppd as it did in Windows.

Edit:
Since we're on this topic... I can't get nvclock or nvidia-settings to save my OCs. I adjust my core and memory clock frequency, hit apply and it just gets reset to the default ?!

I was playing with this a while ago. There is a line that needs to be added to your xorg.conf file called coolbits. I think it is simply coolbits = "1". This will activate overclocking for your card and should let the oc from nvidia-settings stick. My issue was after setting the oc the screen would go black, I would reset the X session and the oc would be gone. This was with an older driver than even the one I'm using now so maybe this has been fixed.

I was playing with this a while ago. There is a line that needs to be added to your xorg.conf file called coolbits. I think it is simply coolbits = "1". This will activate overclocking for your card and should let the oc from nvidia-settings stick. My issue was after setting the oc the screen would go black, I would reset the X session and the oc would be gone. This was with an older driver than even the one I'm using now so maybe this has been fixed.

Yeah, it's
Code:
option "coolbits" "1"
and I had to enable that before I could even see the OC options.

Yeah, it's
Code:
option "coolbits" "1"
and I had to enable that before I could even see the OC options.

ah crap. The last time I saw this work was on my Geforce 6800 GT. It might be broken in their drivers. Time to start submitting bug reports.

anybody know how to do this if not running X at all? I'm Folding with the GPU2 client on a headless Ubuntu 8.1 machine. X is not started at all, it runs in runlevel2. I really, really would like to get this card clocked up. I was able to OC the he!! out of it with Rivatune. Any bright ideas?

I tried to use nvclock earlier under Fedora, that was an X install. Didn't know about the coolbits thing, never could get it to work. What f I made a fake X.conf, put that line in it?

I'm fairly certain nvclock's CLI version runs just fine without X... don't quote me on that, though. Make sure you have the latest drivers, of course.

I don't remember where I read this, could be in the nvidia driver documentation, but CUDA needs X to start in order to load the drivers. I also thought that you only need to start X once then exit and the drivers will still be ready.

Back