• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3650 or 4650? Details inside...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Hey guys! Please read my entire post before responding, as this isn't a question about which is the faster card.

I currently have a Sapphire 3650 512MB as the secondary video card in my system. It's on 24/7, but 100% of the time it just sits there in 2D, not doing much at all. I bought it brand new a little bit ago, and have had no problems with it at all.

Recently, I got a cheap Visiontek 4650 512MB. To be honest, it looks a little lower quality than the Sapphire. The heatsink on my 3650 is pretty large, while the Visionstek is a small black one, with a small fan on the side of it, that doesn't look like it really blows across the fins at all. Even the components appear to be of lower quality.

Performance is a no brainer, the 4650 would be faster, but that just doesn't matter in this case.

1. Does the 4650 draw less power? Does the 4650 leak less heat? This is the most important factor for me, aside from the quality of the card.

2. Does the 4650 include any newer hardware features, like H.264, that my 3650 wouldn't have? This doesn't concern me too much since I would do anything important on my primary card anyway.

3. Compatibility. I purchased the 3650 to go along side my 3870. Now that I'm putting in a 4870 1GB, should I upgrade my secondary to a 4000 series as well?

4. Quality. The Sapphire is just better quality, right? I've had no problems with it since I bought it new, and this 4650 would be used. If you were me, would you just stick with the 3650?

Thanks! :)

Bump. I really think I am sticking with my 3650 unless if someone comes up with something important. Even in that case, I'd probably buy a higher quality 4000 series card, and not trust this Visiontek.

i say sitck with the 3650, its a perfectly fine card if your not playing games and if its left in 2D most of the time. you can upgrade if you want but thern you might wasting money leaving a 4650 in 2D mode doing nothing, i say keep it as a spare :)

for all intent and purpose the 4xxx series will use less power, and generate less heat.

but in the grand scheme of things between the 3650 and 4650 the difference wouldn't be great enough to justify upgrading, especially if it's going to spend its life in a HTPC.

3650 1gig

i clocked my 3650 with rivatuner from 725 gpu to 800 and 425 mem to 500..its not the best considering the numbers you guys with 4850 and 70s put out..but for a 100 card..it works..css i play at highest res..everything on high...as well as wow..highest res is 1920x1200 and i get about 35fps in wow and 60 and up in css..even though they are not that graphically intensive..but hey..i say stick with the 3650 for now..

Just a point of fact, there is nothing wrong with Visiontek cards and they are the only ATI card that carries a lifetime warranty.

Most of the Visiontek 4650s I have found are a newer looking version with better looking components, including solid state caps. The one that I've come across is an older looking version. Money isn't an issue here since I already have the 4650, but I'm just going to stick with my 3650.

By the way, how much less power does one take? How much less heat does it put out? My 3650 always runs at 100Mhz anyway,so I guess it's no big deal.

Thanks,

John

Back