• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
can not get stable over 443MHz.
CPU Reference............:0.8050v[Auto] Option are:.832/.850/.873/.893
Up Vdram from 2.1 through 2.3 still no luck.

hihihi......try .832 then try .850....but nothing more....

If that still didn't work, put everything on AUTO and see how it goes.
Start out from 410fsb and move up
If it works beyond 450MHz, open up all monitoring programs and start taking notes of all important values to give you ideas.

How is your temps at 443fsb....load Prime95 sFFTs.....could it runs for 10min?....17min preferably.

Maybe,today i was work around and touch something didn't know,keep craks or BSOD,just clear COSMOD. Reset Pime run over 50 minutes at thermoment, temp at max @ 70/63/66/67

@sam!
After couple days played around with overlock setting, couldn't pass over FSB 443MHz for this Mobo, i thought the drams (2x1Gb) should be not good enough for full load testing, because anytime i hit button test then look in table dram usaged only left 100mb or so.I tried put old stick on and keep same setting, it's run longer about 10-15 minutes before it's fail.The old dram PC6400 and the new PC8500 its can mix but will run at lower perfomrmance.Maybe i give it back to my mate, and look for the other pair (2x2GB) i think that should be better.What're you reckon? any idea? Thanks.

Before giving up that rams....I would try bump another 2 notch Vcore with all recommended manual settings............as my Asus board differs from your.

@sam!
I push the CPU Vcore..............................:1.25000 [1.3250V]>1.5000V
CPU Termination........................:1.200V [1.300V] >1.4000V
and keep all the other setting same @FSB 443MHz prime run over 1-1/2 hour still running,
temp-max @69/62/65/66.What're you think? stop and go in bios push FSB up or leave prime run for longer?

@sam! Sorry for mistake typing above,they are >Vcore:1.3500V & Termination:1.3400V. And bad luck is still so bad, while i run stress testing,in here,uotside rain and heavy storm and power was black-out, cut-off anything. When it back to normal, turned PC on anything gone and back to default. Now i have to restart. Will let you know if something happen. Cheers

@Sam! Sorry for mistake typing above,they are >Vcore:1.3500V & Termination:1.3400V. And bad luck is still so bad, while i run stress testing,in here,uotside rain and heavy storm and power was black-out, cut-off anything. When it back to normal, turned PC on anything gone and back to default. Now i have to restart. Will let you know if something happen. Cheers

I would run 17min and then press on. When disired clock is reached, that's when I would the final stressing.

@sam! Done what's you said still no luck.I gave up that Ram and put the old one back (trencend PC6400)
Wtith Bios setting

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
CPU Clock Ratio ..........................:X7
CPU Frequency ...........................:3.08GHz (440x7)

Clock Chip Control
Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 440
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:100
C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 800 [set 900]
CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<
MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<<

DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: [Auto] set to Disable prime run about 5-10' some core stop with same setting
(G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [400MHz]
System Memory Multiplier ..............:2.00D
Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800 [886]
DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time........................6 [6]
tRCD .........................................6 [7]
tRP'...........................................6 [7]
tRAS..........................................18 [18]
Advanced Timing Control [Press Enter]
tRRD.......................................4 [Auto]
tWTR.......................................4 [Auto]
tWR........................................6 [Auto]
tRFC.......................................56 [52] found 52 better than leave [Auto] or other number
tRTP.......................................4 [Auto]
Command Rate (CMD).........................0 [Auto]

Motherboard Voltage Control
Load-Line Calibration..................: [Disabled]
CPU Vcore..............................:1.25000 [1.35000V] this setting better than 1.36250v
CPU Termination........................:1.200V [1.3400V]

CPU PLL................................:1.550V [Auto]

CPU Reference..........................:0.8050V [Auto]

MCH Core...............................:1.100V [AUTO]
MCH Reference..........................:0.7600V [Auto]
ICH I/O................................:1.550V [Auto]
ICH Core...............................:1.100V [Auto]

DRAM
DRAM Voltage ..........................:1.800V [2.08V] better than 2.1v

Prime over 3 hour,but the temperature at max look too high @ 72/68/69/70. You know what's the temp safe for running that CPU?

temps 72 C with 1.35 being applied doesnt seem too bad.
A lot depends on how warm the room is.
I get /got around 69-72 with room temp around 25c on Prime95,25C is warm for me.
IBT/linpac would give around 80C.
I dont know how lower voltages can provide better performance unless things are v hot inside the case,or reference voltages are out.
Try some experimentation with the 2:00B multiplier,sometimes you can get a lower static read, pl (lower numbers are better) with B multiplier.

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and have no experience in overcloking. I've been reading 3/4 of this thread and have a little idea on how to increase the value here and there. Not looking to do a major overcloking on my upcoming build, a couple MHZ in increase would be perfect. I have the Q8200 + GA-EP45-UD3P (got from Fry's this past Sunday), 2 GB of OCZ PC6400 (unknown timings), and the Asus Lion Square cooler (free from a friend). Any help would be much appreaciated.

Near the start of this thread and close to the end of it are hi fsb settings for your board depends on how the memory overclocks.or if it does,+ also auto settings at hi fsb will give u a very high Vtt and pll like 1.7 v and 1.8v which arent recommend if u can set them lower manually and still get your clock.
You should be guaranteed (probably) 2.8ghz cpu.
3.0-3.2Ghz should be ok.
3.3-3.5 might need a lot of tweaking .
The UD3 45 boards,there are a lot around and people have a fair idea of what they are capabe of ,similarly the Q8200 if its a "decent one".
Your cooler u will have to research yourself .. the same for the memory to get an idea of what it should be capable of.
Aside from that, gx card..or cards is another variable + psu type,total output amperage to each rail.what extras you are using and so on
cpus use a lot more power when overclocked. my setup ,theoretically needs 369w psu.If i was to put in say a 5850 ati card I would need closer to 450 w.
I cant use dual gx cards on my board ,which is no worry to me but if I could and did my power needs might be too high.
All those things u can check for yourself also.Ye olde google

Last edited:
Near the start of this thread and close to the end of it are hi fsb settings for your board depends on how the memory overclocks.or if it does,+ also auto settings at hi fsb will give u a very high Vtt and pll like 1.7 v and 1.8v which arent recommend if u can set them lower manually and still get your clock.
You should be guaranteed (probably) 2.8ghz cpu.
3.0-3.2Ghz should be ok.
3.3-3.5 might need a lot of tweaking .
The UD3 45 boards,there are a lot around and people have a fair idea of what they are capabe of ,similarly the Q8200 if its a "decent one".
Your cooler u will have to research yourself .. the same for the memory to get an idea of what it should be capable of.
Aside from that, gx card..or cards is another variable + psu type,total output amperage to each rail.what extras you are using and so on
cpus use a lot more power when overclocked. my setup ,theoretically needs 369w psu.If i was to put in say a 5850 ati card I would need closer to 450 w.
I cant use dual gx cards on my board ,which is no worry to me but if I could and did my power needs might be too high.
All those things u can check for yourself also.Ye olde google

I'll definitely get a better psu before doing anything of those steps. Thank you for the professional advice.

Well i did this and posted on another thread and just found this one so i`ll post here too and u can tell me if its good :)
cpur.png

ramn.png

Using Asus P5Q3 mobo , 4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333 , 850W PSU , Asus HD5750 , Asus Silent Knight AL cooling.
I just wonder why FSB:RAM ratio is now 1:1 and before overclocking was 1:2.Just want to know whats better 1:1 or 1:2.And btw core temp was max 64 on prime95 for 4h+.Ty :)

8GB of RAM - Overclock?

Hello all. I have read this entire forum and I have a great base for getting my Q8200 OC'd. I just replaced my ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo with the GB board listed in my signature. I had two of the ASUS boards and neither one would run 800MHz RAM at 800, only 667MHz. So I went with GB. I should have that board in day or two, but I need some expert advice on my setup before attempting to OC.

Should I try to OC the CPU if I am running 8GB of RAM? The manufacturer settings for the RAM are [email protected] and is DDR2 PC6400.

Thanks.

You can overclock with any amount of RAM but the more DIMM slots that you populate the harder it will be to overclock. You add more stress to the memory controller and NB so that's why most people only use a 4GB (2x2GB) setup when overclocking the C2D/C2Q cpu's.

Thanks. I will be using all 4 DIMMS (4x2GB) to reach 8GB. I am not trying to shoot to the moon with this processor, but get a bump to 2.8MHz. Is that a reasonable or obtainable increase considering the DIMM population on my board?

Well i did this and posted on another thread and just found this one so i`ll post here too and u can tell me if its good :)
Using Asus P5Q3 mobo , 4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333 , 850W PSU , Asus HD5750 , Asus Silent Knight AL cooling.
I just wonder why FSB:RAM ratio is now 1:1 and before overclocking was 1:2.Just want to know whats better 1:1 or 1:2.And btw core temp was max 64 on prime95 for 4h+.Ty :)

If you're doing 1:1 ratio, you should change Command Rate to 1T and tighten your timing. Exact specs or give a link to your ram.

Thanks. I will be using all 4 DIMMS (4x2GB) to reach 8GB. I am not trying to shoot to the moon with this processor, but get a bump to 2.8MHz. Is that a reasonable or obtainable increase considering the DIMM population on my board?

2.80GHz can be obtainned easily without much changing in the bios except increasing your FSB by 10MHz increament at a time until your disired speed is reached.

I have my fsb @ 475 with a vcore of 1.35 you think I could get away with a lower voltage?

Mine 3.40GHz required 1.30 vcore in bios. Idles: 1.272....and 1.288 underloads P95 sFFTs.
As long as you get a load around 1.288v shown in CPU-Z while running P95 sFFTs...it should be about good. So, compensate in bios accordingly.
As from board to board may varies in voltages....which may takes more or less.
It wouldn't hurt trying to lower it.

Back