• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mine 3.40GHz required 1.30 vcore in bios. Idles: 1.272....and 1.288 underloads P95 sFFTs.
As long as you get a load around 1.288v shown in CPU-Z while running P95 sFFTs...it should be about good. So, compensate in bios accordingly.
As from board to board may varies in voltages....which may takes more or less.
It wouldn't hurt trying to lower it.

During testing it stays within 1.28 to 1.34v. Do you suggest using vrdroop or should I turn it off.

I take it as you said while underload P95 sFFTs = 1.28 and sometimes at various higher voltages with other testing programs? If so, leave it alone....you might be able to reduce 1 notch in bios.
You should keep it LLC (vdroop control) on/enabled......though, you still have a big vdroop there.

SamSaveMax, thanks for the advice. I am reporting success after some tweaking! :)

As reported by CPU-Z:
CPU - 2.8GHz
FSB - 1600MHz
Voltage @ idle - 1.184
Voltage with 100% load - 1.1520 ~ 1.168 (question about this below)

Core Temp:
Temp Idle - 39C~44C
Temp with 100% load - 55C~58C

Settings:
vCore - 1.185V
FSB Freq - 400
PCIe - 100
DRAM Freq - 800
RAM Timings - [email protected]

All four DIMMS populated (8GB) with tight timings. Used P95 (64bit) to stress test for 2 hours. For 3 hours I did all concurrently; gaming (using DX10 games), web surfing (10+ tabs open), and watched the Olympics via the web.

I didn't try to OC the RAM yet to keep the system stable. I hoping it won't be a problem since the RAM already has an elevated operating voltage. Plus, the board set the timings to [email protected], which survived P95 for two hours, I just wanted tighter timings. At least I know I can back them out if needed from current setting.

I have a question regarding the vCore voltage. Am I under-powering the CPU? I have the vCore set to 1.185V and under load it drops to 1.152 or 1.168? The system is stable with fairly low temps and I know some chips like it lower, some higher. I just don't want to damage the CPU in the long run, even though I am within Intel's recommended operating voltage of 0.8500V - 1.3625V. I tried to keep the BIOS setting for vCore set to "Auto", but the board kept jumping the voltage up to 1.35V. From reading this thread, I knew 2.8GHz could be achieved with much lower voltage.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the vCore voltage. Am I under-powering the CPU? I have the vCore set to 1.185V and under load it drops to 1.152 or 1.168? The system is stable with fairly low temps and I know some chips like it lower, some higher. I just don't want to damage the CPU in the long run, even though I am within Intel's recommended operating voltage of 0.8500V - 1.3625V. I tried to keep the BIOS setting for vCore set to "Auto", but the board kept jumping the voltage up to 1.35V. From reading this thread, I knew 2.8GHz could be achieved with much lower voltage.

It's normal to see various voltages as stated since energy saving features are at work.
Some users are uncomfortable and indicated too much vcore was used on AUTO vcore setting.
For 2.80GHz.......you can put a curb and start out at 1.25 vcore setting MANUALLY.
Don't forget to run some stability tests....and apply more or less vcore as it may required.

Last edited:
I take it as you said while underload P95 sFFTs = 1.28 and sometimes at various higher voltages with other testing programs? If so, leave it alone....you might be able to reduce 1 notch in bios.
You should keep it LLC (vdroop control) on/enabled......though, you still have a big vdroop there.

Thanks man, I was able to reduce my voltage to 1.34 stable! Anything lower has issues.

Keep 1:1 ratio and tighten timing 777-20 or 666-18, some vcore, and NB voltage and start pushing as far as your cpu and heatsink could handle. Though I think the cpu and heatsink would probably run out of steam before your rams.
Later you can experiment with different ram divider ratio which ever give you the most bandwitdth by using MamMEM2 for testing. But most preferred at 1:1

Hello-
I've been wondering why the hell I can't get over FSB 425. I've tried all the tricks but bios wont load if I increase it.

Edit: Noticed there's only 4 VRM units on this mobo.
Don't buy P5QL if you wish to overclock.

Last edited:
Q8200 overclocking help

Hi,

can anybody help me crank up this puppy even more current running the Q8200 CPU at 2,8GHz stepping m1.

system:
Antec 650W EA
Asrock: P45DE
Corsair PC 8500c (1066) 2x 2Gb 6-6-6-16 running 1:1
VCORE: 1.3
VTT: 1.3
NB: 1.3

if i go to 3GHz i cant get it stable.

hi
bit late to post this now
being its 2010 and everyone whos anyone has an i-series
~
but i got my q8200 to 3.23GHz @ 1.5v stable
i could dial back the voltages or dial up the fsb.
ram is at 940mhz set on the bios to 400mhz nb link.
~
but honestly im too lazy.
i had to pimp the entire bios to get this speed
~
all the adjustable voltages on north and south bridge are set to thier highest,
the cpu voltage is set to 1.5 and the ram is set to 2.2v-2.3v
fsb 460
(ive not bothered trying above 480 with this voltage i just wanted to get it stable, as the ram wasnt stable at 430, ram timings set to auto)
just a note. ocz. (utter WASTE of money! buy ANYTHING ELSE!)
~
asus p5q se2
ocz gold 8500 ddr2 2x 2gb
~
HTML:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1147372
~
gtx 260 (xfx pre-overclocked) gpu
550w corsair sli psu
~
1x 500gb wd cb
1x 1000gb wd cg
1x 1000gb samsung f3
~
lian li tyr x-2000
~
monitor 1 - samsung 24" p2450
monitor 2 - viewsonic va1912w
~
cpu cooler - zalman 9500 tunnelcooler.
~
temps at idle range from 30c-37c depending on case fans and windows open.
~
full load peak temp on core #0 61c the rest remain around in the high 50's
~
ran 3hours of x64 prime95 custom blend utilizing all the ram, and an hour at least for the 3 preset tests.
~
currently had been on 20hours solid no fails.
no lag. only issue i have is that i use up my 4gb of ram very quickly on win7 x64.
~
i don't like to single task.
~
its multi-screen, multi-tasking, cs:source, battlefield badcompany 2, cs5 ps x64, cs5 bridge, 30+ google chrome tabs, itunes x64, vlc, winrar, teamspeak, coretemp, prime95 (only when i forget its running and leave it on)
~
if only i could have 3x 30" apple cinema displays/ dell ultrasharp displays.
i would be doing even more!
~

I'm stuck at 354 max fsb I got a few boots at around 360 into windows but after reboot it crashed.

I have a ASUS CM5570-AP006 computer got for only $350 so good deal

did a little hacking and replaced the bios with retail version so i could overclock.

I wrote a guide at here if anyone else needs it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260954-29-asus-essentio-cm5570-overclocking-guide#t1870544

It has limited voltage increase options.

using P5QL-VM EPU motherboard

and 8 gigs of PC2-6400 all matching

and radeon 4850

Had to add in 2 case fans as it didn't have any.

and BFG 500 watt P/S

I'm about to try north bridge voltage increase and report back. G43 chipset I heard isn't that great for overclocking.....

Not my first time at overclocking I got a Full gig overclock on my intel pentium d 2.6 to 3.6 ghz but it was water cooled and in a different computer.

Any advice??

I'm stuck at 354 max fsb
Any advice??

Is there a PCI-E Frequency setting that you could change with your new bios?
If so, raise it to 104 could probably allows a gain of about another 10fsb.

It has limited voltage increase options.
No need to raise vcore since it couldn't get past 365fab

Last edited:
@Nesjwy
You could get 300mhz from your CPU without increacing the vcore, I'd suggest you do things smooth and slow, take your time reading around the forum - the C2D/C2Q overclocking topic for example.

Last edited:
Ive been trying to overclock my q8200 on a Asus P5q motherboard and cant figure out what each setting is. Ive watched youtube videos but the bios is always diffrent from mine. can anyone give me the specs for the p5q bios to overclock this baby to 3.0 ghz? I was also wondering if getting another 4890 1G to do crossfire when I overclock would be a good idea, I have a 650 PSU btw. THANKS pleeeeeeeeeeease help me.

William, try posting your own thread in this forum, or the Intel Motherboard forum... Your own thread will get you more personal attention, rather than post #296 in this VERY LONG thread. :welcome:

Back