• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It looks like that you have found the very sweet spot for the 7 multipliers Q8200 at 3.50GHz / Vcore: 1.39375 ...Steven
Me too, I would agree to keep below 1.4v of Vcore for quad.

About monitor temerature of NB...
What got me started to add an addition suspension fan inside all of my computer cases were not mainly to cool the rams....but the NB. If you get a feel from touching the NB, it could get really hot. Well, that is really depend on what type of board one's has.
But I believe what you got should be good with its 2oz copper helps cool things down sufficiently.
I gotta get me this board....plus among of others thing to be compatible with it. $$$ :(

Last edited:
Steven said:
Great link! Thanks for the info, man. One thing that scared me reading that article was:

Just out of curiousity, does anyone monitor the temps of their NB? If so how?

Yes, that was a scary article, and I am glad you read it..it was eye opening when I saw that too. I thought it might help you get to your goals, they had some good info on what were safe settings.

Most boards don't monitor NB temps for some reason..the only ones I remember that did were on my old AMD 64 939 DFI LP's. I think P-4's sometimes did too (My buddies had them) but not one of my core 2 boards have.

The finger method works like SamSaveMax said...usually I just leave the stock NB alone and have a 120MM fan that blows down on that area, and the rest of the motherboard (Ram, SB..etc.) and don't worry as long it never gets to a point I can't leave a finger on it for at least a full minute.

steven,
what are your cpu reference and cpu term voltage set to?
sweet, 3.5ghz :soda:

bump, your pm said you had SS's but i dont see any still... got linkage?

*edit*
im just waiting to see another SS of a 45nm quad at 500mhz fsb on P45. :soda:

Last edited:

Attachments

• Q8200 550FSB.png
    Q8200 550FSB.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 5,830
Last edited:
LOL..no thats not mine, and is likely just a suicide screenie, but I knew that guy was probably never going to post anything:screwy:

I spent another whole 2 minutes looking for something at least bench stable and found a PCMARK 05 run at 508MHZ.

500FSB on a quad 24-7 stable? Proabably have to spend some time digging through the forums at someplace like extreme systems...I think (And you allready know) pretty much on average 450-475FSB is the practical limit of what most people will reach for daily use.

I would love to replace my current Q6600 and 965 with one like I built for my buddy...it was a dream to OC, 3.6ghz stable with a stock cooler in 5 minutes using nothing more then the included OC software (Q9550 and Gigabyte UD3P)

Attachments

• PCMARK 05 508FSB (Small).JPG
    PCMARK 05 508FSB (Small).JPG
    35 KB · Views: 5,806
steven,
what are your cpu reference and cpu term voltage set to?
sweet, 3.5ghz :soda:

Hi, sorry for the delay. Here is a screenshot of the latest test. About 10 hours of the mixed test. I also opened the program that shows you all the settings. Keep in mind though, they are not tweaked and just what the mobo set them to when I click "auto":

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7664/500x72ge2.gif

edit- solid, whats a "suicide screenie"? Also, is that guy's Q8200 at 1.7 volts? I thought 1.4 was the max people should use?

Last edited:
a suicide screenie is where you can reach x speed but it isnt stable. i had a few SS's like that back when i was using a E6400 i could get it clocked to 3.6ghz but couldnt get it stable. about the only thing it was stable for was surfing after it was clocked up with uguru.

Hi, sorry for the delay. Here is a screenshot of the latest test. About 10 hours of the mixed test. I also opened the program that shows you all the settings. Keep in mind though, they are not tweaked and just what the mobo set them to when I click "auto":

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7664/500x72ge2.gif

edit- solid, whats a "suicide screenie"? Also, is that guy's Q8200 at 1.7 volts? I thought 1.4 was the max people should use?

Ya..1.4v is what is typically considerd a max safe voltage for 45NM chips for daily use with air cooling. Even with top of the line watercooling, it's probably not a good idea to go above that.

As chips have shrunk in manufacturing size, there ability to withstand high voltages for extended periods of time and still have a decent life span is pretty much over. Anything over 1.5v or so on the 65nm chips would drasticly shorten there lifespan with typical cooling methods....my old 130nm AMD XP Mobile 2500+ saw as much as 2.1v at 2.7ghz (1.5v stock)for benching, and spends it's time at 1.85v to this day! (In my daughters PC at 2.5ghz)

When they go to 32nm next year, 1.25-1.3v will probably be the most you can get away with.

You can use 1.7v is you have extreme cooling like Dry Ice (-60) or LN-2(-180)
for short periods of time, guys that use that kind of cooling usually don't care about how long the chip will last (Like 5 years or more) as long is it lasts until a new chip come out they want to play with :beer:

Thnx for the info, guys. When they say 1.4v, is that the actual setting they're talking about or voltage under normal or 100% load use? Because I notice the volts are usually a bit lower than the setting under normal use, and considerably lower under 100% load

All I wanted was to buy a conductive pen this morning at Fry's....well, I did. But I couldn't pass on a deal on this closeout that they had: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R for $59.99
Not exactly what I wanted ....but it will do just fine.
Disected my Q8200 and being at it all day.....beaten my old oc a little bit by using the same rams G.Skill 800MHz. It is now at 3.01GHz. In order to come close at your speed Steven....I must use faster rams, but I'm fine with this.

New Spec: Q8200 @ 3.01GHz
4GB G.SKILL PI Black 4GB PC6400 800MHz
FSB;DRAM= 1;1
4-4-4-12 @ 1.9Volts @ 860MHz
Vcore: 1.39 volts

2dh9ro8.jpg
1fh5ja.jpg

Nice work :) I know the feeling of going somewhere ready to spend $15 and comming out having spent much more, hehe. Will the heatsink be blowing the hot air upwards in your case? towards the psu exhaust fan I assume?

It actually blows upward directly to the air intake of the psu which faces downward. Which is good.
System idle at around 42C and 100% load under 60C

...........I noticed something kinda odd about Prime95 as I ran some tests.
When I ran Prime95 .... it showed 100% load...BUT it also drop the core speed to around 2170MHz (2.22GHz) as it running torture tests. IS THIS NORMAL???
As soon as Prime95 was stopped...everything went back to normal at 3.01GHz or 2.58GHz idle.
So, isn't it being too easy by using Prime85 for testing stability?

ev6xqb.jpg

Last edited:
All I wanted was to buy a conductive pen this morning at Fry's....well, I did. But I couldn't pass on a deal on this closeout that they had: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R for $59.99
Not exactly what I wanted ....but it will do just fine.
Disected my Q8200 and being at it all day.....beaten my old oc a little bit by using the same rams G.Skill 800MHz. It is now at 3.01GHz. In order to come close at your speed Steven....I must use faster rams, but I'm fine with this.

New Spec: Q8200 @ 3.01GHz
4GB G.SKILL PI Black 4GB PC6400 800MHz
FSB;DRAM= 1;1
4-4-4-12 @ 1.9Volts @ 860MHz
Vcore: 1.39 volts

2dh9ro8.jpg
1fh5ja.jpg

Look @ your clock speed ans multiplier... its only @ 6.. You probably have speedstep activated, this must be deactivated while clocking...

It actually blows upward directly to the air intake of the psu which faces downward. Which is good.
System idle at around 42C and 100% load under 60C

When I ran Prime95 .... it showed 100% load...BUT it also drop the core speed to around 2170MHz (2.22GHz) as it running torture tests. IS THIS NORMAL???
As soon as Prime95 was stopped...everything went back to normal at 3.01GHz or 2.58GHz idle.

ev6xqb.jpg

There are several voltage/clock alternative functions får the cpu and your mainboard... 3 actually, cpu enchanced halt, cpu thermal monitor 2, cpu eist function(speedstep)...
My guess is that cpu enchancced halt is changing the clock either for power or heat reduction..
Thermal monitor should maybe be on so it protects the cpu.

It is at 6x because it was at idle 0% load. Picture taken right after finished PI calculation.

yes, but this is because of speed step or one of the other functions... It lowers the voltage and multiplier to conserve powerconsumption and heat build up...
Shutt this option off in bios will make the system not do so and the multiplier will stay @ 7.. I recommend to do so whíle you clock and search for stability.. Afterwards you can enable that function again, but not while clocking..

I have the q8200 @ 2,8 ghz with the GA-EP35-DS3L.. Think the vcore is @ 1,28, quite low. My limits now are the memories @ 800mhz with the FSB @ 400 and multi 2*.. Expecting to get way higher with better memories, but I dont care.. my 9800GTX+ is my bottleneck for the moment.

Also if you can reach 12 hours prime.. Thats good, but.. 24 hours is recommended... Had mine @ 3GHZ stable for about 12hours.. but later i found instability and had to lower.

ev6xqb.jpg

Thats strange. I never had any such issue. Could it have to do witht he bios setting I think called something like "Thermal Management" where it automatically slows the clock down if there is too much heat being generated?

Back