• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven-1979

Hi, everyone. I just bought all the components for my new rig on Black Friday:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 retail
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
RAM: 4gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 w/ RAM cooling fan
Cooling: Air cooling - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 (+5 other case fans)
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 260
Misc: 600W PSU, 1T HD, 500gb HD, 52in1 Card Reader, 22x DVD DL/CD

I'm definitely planning to overclock it. I've OC'ed before, mainly my E2200, but still consider myself a newbie. I know OC'ing the Q8200 will be different with how much voltage it can handle and it's low multiplier. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice? I'm also wondering if anyone else OC'ed their Q8200, what settings they used. Just to give me a starting point with mine.

With a multiplier of only 7, the q8200 is a tough nut to crack. Luckily you have the right board(p45), and some RAM that should help.

Before going any further....what kind of psu is that? You're probably going to have to unleash some serious power to get a good OC from that cpu. Better make sure that power supply is up to snuff before trying to OC a quad, and run a gtx260.

i would start with:
ram timings set to manual,spec timings
ram voltage set to manual.spec voltage
use the 2x ratio for ram speed
then start upping the fsb slowly.

the only issue MAY be the psu since you didnt list brand. with 1066 ram on the 2x multi for the ram speed. that is a 1:1 ratio in other terms, so your good till 533fsb on the ram. P45 is really good at ocing over 500mhz so the only limitation would be the cpu and what max cpu speed it can hit. 45nm quads can hit 3.6ghz no problem on the right board, so your looking worst case some where in the 520's for a fsb for 3.6ghz. otherwise if your happy with 3.4ghz that would be a 485fsb, which is doable on P45.

Last edited:
matt,
the Q8200 wouldnt be any harder to oc then the E6550 or the E6300. those latter 2 have a 7x multi as well....

The E6550 and e6300 aren't quads. He'll be lucky if he can break 470-480fsb; most quads simply won't do it.

You should absolutely junk that PSU. It isn't safe to run your setup on it. The GTX260 will more than likely kill it. Please, don't attempt overclocking until you get a better psu.

Antec has some affordable options in their earthwatts , and neo power series. Corsair would be a step up from that. PC power and cooling, BFG, and sparkle, are some other good brands to look at. I'd recommend a psu in the 550-650W range from any of these manufacturers, and make sure to get one with the appropriate pci-e connectors for your GTX260

The E6550 and e6300 aren't quads. He'll be lucky if he can break 470-480fsb; most quads simply won't do it.

You should absolutely junk that PSU. It isn't safe to run your setup on it. The GTX260 will more than likely kill it. Please, don't attempt overclocking until you get a better psu.

Antec has some affordable options in their earthwatts , and neo power series. Corsair would be a step up from that. PC power and cooling, BFG, and sparkle, are some other good brands to look at. I'd recommend a psu in the 550-650W range from any of these manufacturers, and make sure to get one with the appropriate pci-e connectors for your GTX260

+1 .... please get a legit companies psu... seasonic, corsair, antec (in that order IMO)... id rather have a good 450w psu from one of thoes guys instead of that 585w psu.

I have never understood why people spend $180 for a cpu, 250 for a gfx, 150 for a mobo, 80 for ram, all good components to buy a cheapie 25 dollar psu to power the whole system... the psu IMO is the most important part of a computer... without it you dont have a comp!

Last edited:
that's a very good deal on that psu. It's WAY more power than you need, and you could go with a less expensive model. But, if you don't mind paying for it, it will serve you well. And it will handle any upgrades you could throw at it. Be aware: that psu is considerably longer than the standard size. Make sure your case can accommodate it before buying it.

here are a few other options
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005&Tpk=17-703-005

there is ZERO need for a 1000w psu (unless your doing a new i7 quad ocing that with tri sli or quadfire)... a good quality 550-600ish watt psu would be perfect and run any future system with ease... it will also be more efficient given your current setup as compared to the 1000watter.

For the psu even the Corsair 550TX,EA550 are good choices. being able to get the Corsair 650TX for $59.99 after mir is great deal!

Last edited:
while that is true they are still with a 7x multi. you say most quads simply wont do it, yet most of the ocing quads have been on P35/X38/X48. P35 is known for fsb issues with 45nm quads. X38/X48 isnt the chipset to go with when tring for high fsb on 45nm quads either, its your choice for 45nm duals. P45 as intel stated doesnt have fsb issues with 45nm quads. there have been very few people here ocing 45nm quad cores on P45. the ones i have seen have been able to hit 500fsb, might have been benching stable, i dont recall. mainly over at xs where i have seen these. before we go saying quads simply wont do it, it depends on the quad(65nm vs 45nm), the chipset being used to oc it,and of course the ram choosen. there is no one fits all statment about fsb's with quad cores. there are other factors at play, that is all im saying.

I stand by my statement. Most 45nm quads WILL NOT run stably at 500+fsb. There's a reason nobody buys a Q8200 just to OC it. A few p45 boards, like the gigabyte extreme, do a little better, but in general, they stall out around 470fsb with 45nm quads. Anything past that is gravy, but definitely shouldn't be expected. Even most QX9650s only make it to ~475fsb under normal cooling. I'd like to see all of these 45nm quads running 533fsb.

Thanks for the advice everyone ... looks like you probably saved my *** with that PSU choice. I didn't know much about them and was just looking at the watts. Since all of your advice, I started reading up and can see now that it only has 20 and 19 amps on it's 2 12v rails (and a few sites suggest 38amps MINIMUM for systems running the 260 GTX) as opposed to the corsair with 52amps. This really opened my eyes up to psu. I was just looking at watts previously. ps- I just noticed one of my psu's in my lower end rig only has one 12v rail with 13 amps! lol.

Since the 1000W wouldn't be as efficient a choice for my system, I'll order this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 and transfer my current HEC psu to another rig I have. I have a few rigs that would probably be an upgrade (ie- my 250watt 10-year-old Dell, hehe).

Evilsizer, I really appreciate you willing to help me out with overclocking the Q8200. I know there isn't a lot of info out on it just yet (I did a lot of searches on the subject trying to decide between the Q6600 or Q8200) and I hope I'll be able to shed some light on the subject with experimentation once all my components are in.

I don't know what you're getting hostile about dude. I didn't put anything down. In fact, my first comments were that he had the appropriate gear to OC the q8200. Just because you've seen a few good results, doesn't mean this OC is going to be a walk in the park. Telling an inexperienced overclocker that he should easily be able to reach an FSB of 533mhz just because his memory will allow it is pretty ignorant.

I hope he gets an awesome overclock. But being realistic isn't putting someone down. For whatever reason you're all ****y, I'm sorry. I too am just trying to help.

-Steve, good choice on the psu. Looking forward to see your OC after you get it all setup.

I don't know what you're getting hostile about dude. I didn't put anything down. In fact, my first comments were that he had the appropriate gear to OC the q8200. Just because you've seen a few good results, doesn't mean this OC is going to be a walk in the park. Telling an inexperienced overclocker that he should easily be able to reach an FSB of 533mhz just because his memory will allow it is pretty ignorant.

I hope he gets an awesome overclock. But being realistic isn't putting someone down. For whatever reason you're all ****y, I'm sorry. I too am just trying to help.

-Steve, good choice on the psu. Looking forward to see your OC after you get it all setup.

I agree the highest clocked q8200 on hwbot is only running 535 FSB on dice...

Lets see what can be done with the chip!

Steve,
last time i bought a PSU that i thought was good for $89 about 3 years ago now. kill it self tring to power a oced [email protected],one watercooling pump,NV6800U. it was rated for 550watts, then after that i lived in the psu section for a while. once you get a good PSU the first time, you wont have to get a new one for atleast 2-3 upgrades. that depends on what your adding to the cpu though. im still on the same OCZ 520 powerstream for the last 3 years. it has powered a intel [email protected]/NV6800u,Lga775 P4/NV7300GS,Intel E6400/SLI NV7900GT KO and now the E7200/ATI 4850. when i move to i7 is when i should need a new psu. who knows maybe the powerstream can handle i7 with a 4850...

Last edited:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-EXTREME, 2+2=4

Sounds to me like you have no first hand experience with the hardware in question. But keep dishing out your second hand knowledge. I don't know why you are pursuing this one sided argument. Your blood pressure seems awfully high considering that what could have been a normal discussion, you blew up into an all out argument. I serious doubt this is how you conduct yourself in face to face conversations, and if it is, you probably have few friends.

This thread is now yours. I surrender. You are king of the hill. You win. I lose. Happy?

take a chill pill dude,

out

just chill out everyone!!

this thread is about helping Steven how to o/c his shiny new Quad! NOT whether the other guys' method/opinion is right or wrong!! and it will be a shame if I have to lock this thread since it's Steven's thread and he has nothing to do with it!!

Just out of curiousity, for comparison purposes later on, if the Q8200 is 20% better than the Q6600 clock for clock, would that mean a 3.0GHz Q8200 is the equivalent of a 3.6GHz Q6600?

Back