• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks guys for the tips.
I went back started from scratch again with fresh install XP Pro (Vista Ultimate previously) and 7600GS from the parts bin.
.... and this is what I got...
Lower Vcore voltage, and able pushed a little further to 3.04GHz
These rams are great....low cas lantency, required only 1.9 volts, and NOT even a bit warm to the touch @ 868MHz no sweat.

It's about time this system to be enclosed in its case. :)

@ 3.01GHz
omg52.jpg

@ 3.07GHz
35mgu2e.jpg

2 hours of Blend
jsbn8h.jpg

1 hour of OCCT
1z6uxyw.jpg

New Spec: Q8200 @ 3.07GHz
4x1GB Transcend AXEram PC6400 800MHz @ 876MHz
FSB;DRAM= 1;1
4-5-5-14
Samsung F1 Spinpoint 750GB
Kingwin RVT 9225 DHT 92mm rifle fan

Last edited:
Just wasting time until my water cooling comes in ... it seems the Q8200 can run at stock speeds extremely undervolted.

Minimum Vcore needed per fsb at stock PLL/VTT/Ref/MCH

Most tests ran prime95 for 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. Some tests ran overnight as I slept. It seems 450fsb at stock vtt/pll/etc can be had for almost stock vcore for people who care about cpu lifespan. I can't see this setting being any more dangerous in the long term than stock.

Attachments

• Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 4,968
  • 450x1.25-8.gif
    450x1.25-8.gif
    161.8 KB · Views: 4,565
  • 333x1.0125.gif
    333x1.0125.gif
    145.5 KB · Views: 4,205
I know this is an old thread but,just thought id throw this in as my memory is the same as Sams.
For 500-505 fsb/1000-1010 mhz the memory needs 2.15 v
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45-ud3p-q9300-oc-30322/index2.html

Thanks for the info mate. I swapped out with Transcend AXEram.........I'll put the GSkill back in and try to match your speed to see if it would helps with my P35 chipset. Thanks.

EDIT: I just tried it..... NOT WORKING AT ALL. My board has its limits and limited options.

Last edited:
My P35 board didn't play well with Quad. So I changed to a P45 board which I think is a mate for it.....and a newer Cooler Master Hyper Z600R to handle the heat.

I got up to 500FSB but passed only 2 hrs with P95 small FFTs
@ 486FSB = OK P95 small FFTs 6 hrs but had problem FREEZING with OCCT Mix

Finally, I settled at 3.36GHz @ 480FSB with a nice low Vcore with decent temperature.

1z3oxva.jpg

a3zif9.jpg

2a6l6vq.jpg

Very tight fit.
2622oew.jpg

Last edited:
V nice.
Yeh its hard to find posts on Q8200 now.
Im not big into screenies.I had to take the one above fast before my everest 30 day freebie ran out!:)
Im running 490 now ,voltages more like steven-1979,except the gskill only needs 2.08v in bios.
Its weird tho your case pic doesnt look too unlike mine.Is that an akasa fan?
Mines angled like that too except its blowing down on the ram and nb from the front .
Maybe ill try for a pic of it,Had to cut a hole in the side of the cheap case to get enough height for the v8.
Anyway it doesnt seem like there are many running this mbrd at 550 fsb,which is what id need to make it worth buying new ram.
Maybe the processor wont go over 3.6 3.57 was the best i managed(unstable).
If thats it,on air, Idbe better off getting a higher mult cpu the good ol gskill would be fine for x8 multipliers and up.

Hey,

I have a q8200 all stock an I wanted to overclock. Though I have a stock cpu fan and stock rear fan. I ran a prime95 test for 1min 16sec and the temps went up to 72 degrees so I stopped the test cause I dont know if thats too hot. Is this normal? Also my rear fan is pretty loud at times.

Heres a pic of the inside of my tower and my psu.

1068DSC04147.JPG

9991DSC04145.JPG

Whats a good aftermarket cooler? and how much do they roughly cost. Im in Australia so if you can gimme a rough estimate let me know which currency it is in your talking about.

Back when I had my Q8200 I was using the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 and was very happy with it. I'm not sure how much it would cost in Australia ... I assume the price will be a bit higher than in the US. I got it for $27 from Newegg back then.

I ac tually never ran it with the stock cooler. Bought the Xigmatek at the same time.

hmm the Xigmatek is $40 on newegg. If this Xigmatek has been out for a while why ahs the price gone higher

Edit: The question thats was here before I have now made a new thread for it in the cooling section.

Last edited:
Back