• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is happening?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is my friends computer, specs are in the first post, nothing has been overclocked in his computer. He came to me for help with his computer and I unknowing how to fix his problem helped him post here.

Oh, whoops... Well my advice above still stands. Test the sticks individually, and try raising the Vdimm by .1V to see if you can get rid of the errors. One or both(4?) sticks could be bad.

Oh man 4 sticks would be a bummer. Where in the bios can vdimm be found?

Depends on the BIOS and mb you have. It's under "Jumper Free Configuration" on mine(AMI BIOS).

What MB is it? I can look for it online, and maybe tell you.

I think in the memtest it had memory speed set at 400mhz in bios it says my memory speed is 800mhz. Was I suppose to change something before I ran it? I ran it on its default settings.

That's right for DDR ram. The running speed is double the FSB unless you use a ratio to speed it up, or slow it down.

Okay then yeah I guess whats left to try is changing the vdimm. Would it make sense for it to be under the performance tab in bios and select memory overrides? After looking there is no vdimm option in that category. Will it specifically be named vdimm or could it be something else like memory voltage? The voltage for the memory is 1.84

Last edited:
Maybe, it's hard to say. Most of my MBs have used AMI BIOS, and they don't use those terms. Look for Vdimm, ram Voltage... terms like that. It could be under some kind of chipset configuration also.

This seems to be the most logical place for it. Other terms on the page are refrence frequency, memory frequency, tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRASmin, and Memory voltage. At the bottom it shows the timings 5-0-5-5-10.

memory voltage is what you want. Boost it by .1V. Don't go over that without checking the manufacturers specs for voltage. I'm comfortable going up to .15V over spec, and will push it a bit harder if the results are worth it.

Edit: dear lord i hope you didnt read that. The closet thing to .1 is from 1.84 to 1.92. Shall i compromise?

go to 1.90V

Edit:
And look up the manufacturers specs for that ram. 1.8V is JDEC(SP?) standard, but a lot(most) ram needs more than that. Some are 2.1V default voltage.

There is no 1.90v It goes up by .04 each time. Its default voltage is 1.84v

go to 1.90V

Edit:
And look up the manufacturers specs for that ram. 1.8V is JDEC(SP?) standard, but a lot(most) ram needs more than that. Some are 2.1V default voltage.

Johnz,

Colton is showing the E2140 @ 3.04 GHZ. Is that right? That's why I assumed he was overclocked.

Ok, 1.92V then. Really though, it's important to know what the stock voltage of the ram should be.

Johnz,

Colton is showing the E2140 @ 3.04 GHZ. Is that right? That's why I assumed he was overclocked.

That's not the problem system. I made the same mistake. The problem system is mentioned in the first post, not his sig.

Unfortunately I am not sure what the stock voltage on the ram speed is suppose to be. I am not really able to find out either. It was purchased from 1-800-4memory without my knowledge of it ( it was a surprise gift). There is no manufactures name anywhere on the ram, packaging of the ram, or pcwizard. So the best I can go by is the 1.84v that was decided I suppose by the system bios.

Johnz,

The only PQI memory stats I could find that are close is this:

http://www.pqimemory.com/spec1.asp?link=/sc/PQI26400-1GSB.htm

2.0v but it's only a 1GB stick. Nothing listed with 2 x 2gb.

I don't think that's the memory though. I made a comment, and his reply sounded like it was a 4*1gb set.

We really don't have enough information to make an educated suggestion.

These are the only specs given for the problem system...

System Specs: Windows Vista 32bit
Q6600
EVGA 8800gtx
4gb of Ram

Back