• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is happening?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cool... I'd let them run longer, but 2 hours isn't too bad. At least you know you'll have an operational computer, even if you can't use all your ram.

Yeah. I'm going to run these last two stick for 2 hours if I get no errors on them I might re-run all of them for about 8 hours. We'll see I guess. At this point I actually do hope its a ram problem and that I can find which stick(s) is/are bad. Because getting a new stick of ram seems much easier than software problem.

You definitely have a hardware problem of some kind, and it's related to the memory system. It could end up being a bad slot on the mb, but I think you'll find at least 1 bad stick of ram. Keep in mind that I've had memtest run for over 1 hour before I started getting errors. Extra patience now could save you some headaches in the future when you have to retest all the ram ;^)

alright well last stick. 3rd stick was tested for close too 10 hours. 4th one will be tested for about 8 while im at school. If this one comes back fine, should i retest the first two at 8 hours? If they come back fine its probably an mb slot like johnz said.

Well... No errors on the last stick tested for 12hours. I guess i'll start checking slots now.

Try lowering your ram speed in BIOS. Set it to 667mhz, then test your ram with all sticks in.

My money is on a bad slot or contact. So going forward Colton, you should add one stick at a time and test for a while for errors, then add sticks 1 by 1. Let us know your results.

Now, let me throw a wrench in this...

I'm not the best with Memory issues or hardware settings in detail, I'm more of a making things work kind of guy. This might be a better question for the memory forum... But memory is detected by SPD right? That's how you insert a stick of RAM and your PC knows what timings to run it at.

I wonder if its a problem of mismatched RAM, and SPD not being detected correctly by BIOS. All 4 sticks are inserted, SPD is detected incorrectly, and the timings are too tight for one/some of the sticks. Possible? I need a second opinion on this, I'm admittedly outside my expertise.

If this is the problem... All the slots might work, all the RAM might work by themselves, but if you stick them altogether the SPD setting that results is beyond what one/some of the sticks can handle? This would mean its not an actual hardware problem, and can be fixed in settings. I'm thinking best case scenario, probably too optimistic but I thought I'd put it out there.

I've never had an issue with mismatched ram, but it does happen. The auto detect should pick the slowest speed, and loosest timings, but I guess it can screw up. I really don't know.

Edit:
In my post above I suggest 667mhz for the ram speed. It's still running faster than the FSB at that point. To synchronize with the FSB I think you need 533mhz. If 667mhz doesn't work, try dropping the speed again and see if it works.

Alright. So scratch checking each slot one by one and move to put all sticks in and changing the speeds?

Alright. So scratch checking each slot one by one and move to put all sticks in and changing the speeds?

Well that's a bit quicker right now. We know all the ram's good, so maybe it was running too fast with all the sticks in. You got errors pretty quick before with all of them in, right? Changing the speed should let you know if it's a speed problem fairly quickly.

Starting to look like the settings weren't being detected/set right by SPD.

Change back to default memory settings and ensure your still getting errors when all sticks are inserted. If you do, I would go back to inserting each stick, one by one, and record how each stick is detected individually in memtest (what timings). One may come up slower than the rest, then you can insert all sticks and set them manually to the highest speed supported by EVERY stick.

Well after testing each stick one by one and getting no errors, then reducing the speeds to 533mhz, and now returning everything to default with all sticks in and not getting any errors after an eight hour test my only guess is that it might have been a bad connection between the ram and the slot or something. Because now I'm not getting any errors with all sticks in and on default.

800mhz shown in BIOS?

Edit:
The reason I ask, is Default(Auto) on mine will run the ram in sync with the FSB. I'm curious as to what Intel considers default(rams rated speed, or in sync with the cpu). In my limited experience, I've found that computers prefer the ram to be run in sync with the cpu. I was running my setup with the ram a bit faster, and when I added 2 more sticks, I got a bunch of BSODs. That's been my experience in the past also.

Last edited:
Back