• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N32-SLI rear sata port~blueray drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

All my interior SATA ports are filled with harddrives, one of which I could lose if absolutely necessary, but was wondering if anyone has used the rear port for a DVD/CD drive. It seems most all blueray drives are SATA.

And I guess in general anyone used a SATA DVD with this board and had any problems?

Since I own and run several of these boards I kind of keep my eyes open for issues with them. While I don't run a SATA DVD I know others that run internal ones without any issues.

The only experiences I've heard of with the exterior SATA port is with HDD's but I don't see any reason an external SATA DVD wouldn't work. If you try it out please post back - either way it goes. Like I said, I try to keep up on these boards as much as possible ... :)

I wasn't clear. It will be an internal Blueray drive, but I noticed in the manual that the other interior port could be 'turned' on to SATA2 in the bios. I ordered the Blueray drive (happy birthday to me:bday:) and worse case move the media drive over to the 'silicone image SATA' connector. I'm going to replace the Plextor drive in sig not add an external drive. The slot load format of the plextor is a burden at times and never 'fit' with the case and this is a rather inexpensive way to add Blueray to the home theatre....if I can get it working.

PS. I have used this port on an earlier configuration, just wasn't aware i could 'turn off' the RAID function.

I guess you could call the interior Si port the rear port. I just assumed you meant the external port but I can see it the other way, too.

I had also considered adding a BluRay to the HTPC. No reason I can think of to spend a small fortune on a discrete unit and some of the computer drives also include HD DVD (I have a couple of those on the backside of a standard DVD) ... :)

Found this on Newegg, free shippping $25 off and figured worth the risk. I'll have a decent lightscribe burner if I don't get the blueray working properly. Also plays the HD-DVD's of which I too, have a few.

I've got two software HD players installed, nVidia's True HD codec package for media player and iMon's HD player. I'm hoping one will work over a DVI output to the screen.

Back