• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starcraft not using full screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigBadBaz

Hi. I just got Starcraft :D and for some reason it doesn't show on the full screen. My whole screen is black besides the top left quarter which is taken up by the game.

I tried playing with my screen resolution to no effect. I looked around the settings in Starcraft and didn't notice anything that can help.

Do you have any ideas? Is there any way to fix this?

I'm running Vista x64 on a Thinkpad T61. If you need any more info I'll be happy to supply it.

any in game settings to make it run in full screen mode?

are you using any special shoirt cuts?

change your monitors manually to a resolution of like 1024 x 768 then start the game ?

If I remember correctly, Starcraft is limited to a really low resolution. I think what you'll need to do is set up your laptop's graphics display to either stretch to full screen or center the game. You'll probably have an icon in your task bar that'll let you do it.

Thanks for the replies!

The game works at 1280 x 800 (my default) but only uses about a quarter of the screen. It also works at 1280 x 720 which is currently the best setting (it uses more like a third of the screen). When I try to run it at anything else from 800 x 600 up to 1280 x 760 (including 1024 x 768) I get an error (screenie below).

I tried to set up a custom res. of 640 x 480 and I got the same error.

Can this have anything to do with the colors? Am I just stuck with 1280 x 720?

@Mr.Guvernment I didn't see any such settings and I'm not using any special shortcuts.

@burningcpu How do I make my laptop graphics display stretch or center? (I don't see any such icon.)

Attachments

• Starcraft Error.jpg
    Starcraft Error.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 10,561
On my thinkpad r61e, I would go click on the icon for the "intel desktop graphics accelerator adapter" in the bottom left hand corner, panel fit, scale to screen. I was just figuring that because you were using a laptop, and a similar one at that, you would have similar functionality.

YMMV

Also, you could try following those directions for 95 and NT in the message. I haven't run Vista for a while, do you have those options somewhere?

Oh god this is terrible (EDIT: I mean the colors on my screen). I followed your advice, burningcpu, and followed the directions of the error message. :D

I needed to change the color to 256 (8 bit). I now have it at 720 x 480 which is the biggest full screen (i.e. not wide) it can be.

Thanks for all the help guys! :beer:

Last edited:
Back