• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Air Cube - Going back to air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
why you runnin your tv all distorted? fixed aspect ftw.

Low angle of the camera angle is making it look worse. If you look really close at the picture, you
can see the bow in it (making it look worse then it really is). Plus, the only thing I hate more
then the image being stretched a bit, is black bars on the side of the TV.

Where did you get the hexagonal mesh?

I found a few places to get it, but the only ones that had it in black (in stock anyway) was from Performance-PCs.

I think if you want a 'raw' version (unpainted) you can get a better price from mcmastercarr.

A MM case without water cooling?!?!?! The front and back panels are screaming to be filled with 120.3 rads. :)

Anyway, it's looking pretty good. Can't wait to the see the end product.

What's the actual name of the kit? I may just have to pick one up myself

Which part?
I am going to assume you are asking about the Fan Control.

You can find it HERE. Just remember that you supply your own face plate.

Last edited:
A MM case without water cooling?!?!?! The front and back panels are screaming to be filled with 120.3 rads. :)

Anyway, it's looking pretty good. Can't wait to the see the end product.

I know, I know, it doesn't seem right (of course, it can always be changed later). But, I have been doing water for so long that I really just wanted to try something else.

Okay, somehow set my digital camera to "color accent" mode. The next few pictures basically
look like they are in black and white. I cannot re-take most of these, so I will just have to
post them as they are.

Time to make use of my 3 favorite computer mod tools: 18 volt drill, pop rivet gun, and my
35,000 RPM heavy duty Dremel. This Dremel has 2 speeds and I never use the second one.
It winds up so fast that I have never had a reason to use it at that speed (plus it is almost
scary, you would not want to have it slip out of your hand at top RPM's). The 10,000 RPM
setting has always been able to do the job.

pic24b.jpg

Now it is time to mount the LCD to the case. I could have just left it on the bracket that it
came with, but where is the fun in that? Plus, I am filling up most of the 5.25" bays so
mounting this to the actual case will free up some room.

Here is a test fit of the LCD.

Last edited:
Now it is time to make a protective cover from Lexan. The cover that came
with the LCD on its original bracket was really flimsy and didn't look very good.
You won't be able to really tell, but this is going to be an improvement.

pic26.JPG

Using just a heavy duty straight edge and simple plastic cuter, here we have
a nice protective cover.

pic27.JPG

Here it is installed. I just drilled 4 holes in the front face plate and used the
existing holes on the LCD panel to mount it up.

And here it is from behind. I just need to trim up those screws.

pic29.JPG

Here I will be using some more of that Lexan to make a small control panel. This
will sit below my fan controller. Time to do a little measuring and break out the
plastic cutter again to make the lower half of the control panel.

pic30.JPG

Cut down to size.

pic31.JPG

Here are the three control buttons mounted to the Lexan (still with the paper on).
The left one will be a front mounted BIOS reset switch. I saw this on line and
thought it would be really cool to be able to reset the BIOS from the outside of
the computer. The middle one will be to turn of the interior lighting, and the
switch on the far right will be for expansion in the future.

I took some existing hard drive mounts that came with my case and cut them
down to size. You can see the original size at the bottom and the new one on
the top. I will use these to mount the Lexan plate to the case.

pic32.JPG

I will finish up some parts of the face plate tomorrow, put some new feet on the
case (not really a fan of the casters) and break out the paint.

Oh, and I will be back to real color pictures :)

Exterior BIOS reset switch, now we're talkin. Nice and big too, not like a tiny reset button you need a needle for like on routers and such.

Exterior BIOS reset switch, now we're talkin. Nice and big too, not like a tiny reset button you need a needle for like on routers and such.

Yeah, I hate trying to get under the video card or at the very bottom of the mb and trying to move the jumper after a system lockup.

Last edited:
UPDATE 12-21-08

Okay, here is a mini update (and with color!).

This is the finished control panel. The only change I may make in the future is to go
ahead and make the entire plate out of Lexan instead of just the lower two thirds.

pic33.JPG

Here are just a few pictures of what the case looks like right now. What do you think
about the floor design? Enjoy!

WOOT! Getting close.

Last edited:
Great project - I'm slobbering over that lovely case, *and* that dremel. I won't show you mine :p :p

I'd have nightmares about getting the BIOS just the way I wanted it - and then having some baby crawl over on the floor and hit the BIOS reset button, though. :mad: :mad:

Is that floor decking steel, aluminum, or something else?

Back