• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

excessive use of the word "rig"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My great uncle used to tell me stories about his days in the army during WW2. He operated radios on some island off Italy, and always referred to them as rigs.

I usually use box. rig sounds funny when used as a term for a computer.

Usually, the term rig refers to the sum of the parts. Box is simply the tower. Least how I heard it over the decades.

My rig, is the two computers on my desk. One is a boxen. The other is a box. :D One never knows when ya will need a dll or conf OS. So why not have two. I would rather have a rig that does both, than dual boot.

Last edited:
A rig is not just a computer. A rig in computer terminology is a custom built computer that you put a lot of hard work and planning into. My rig gave me years of entertainment, and it was my own work of art.

I would never call my laptop a rig...do you see what I mean? Computer /= Rig...a rig is a type of computer to me.

I use the term rig, because when it comes to my computer, I'm REALLY REALLY nerdy, and I love it :)

I use either the term "rig" or "machine"(and lots & lot's of "quotation" marks).
:D

The term "sig rig" is very short and to the point, almost irreplacable.

Usually, the term rig refers to the sum of the parts. Box is simply the tower. Least how I heard it over the decades.

My rig, is the two computers on my desk. One is a boxen. The other is a box. :D One never knows when ya will need a dll or conf OS. So why not have two. I would rather have a rig that does both, than dual boot.

I have a dell mini9 for that, good for posting when i'm benching, too.

I know this is an odd topic, but wtf is the deal with the over use of the word "rig" to describe your computer? Who came up with this terminology? If you wanna tell me about your "computer" or your "machine" fine. I just personally think "rig" is a stupid term to describe a computer. Guess thats for all the l337 |-|4><0R's. :) Anyone else agree?

Unh.... hunh...

rofl.

I have LEDs in my box :beer:

Just about every computer case I have owned has had a LED in it someplace. Be it a power pLED or a hdLED. My favorite was the Turbo LED.

The atom splitting supercharged farting hampster driven valve operated controlled flow discharger overclocked poofinator. Now that's a hardcore rig.

ITs my rig, and I can call it whatever I want.

I would say calling a system a "rig" comes from people that have worked in different fields, not just computers.

Well... for me I think of a rig i'm thinking of all the components together... people talk about their display adapter(s), they talk about their mice or keyboards, then you have the case, the parts in the case, depending on your preference all the cooling accessories, you have your speakers, some may even talk about their chair or desk... to me... all those things together would be a rig... but IMO(which is different than lots) people that refer to their tower(case & components) as a rig, I feel that would be inaccurate because while it may technically fit the definition, it's not a rig unless you have everything with it... for example if you have a frame, wheels, tires, axels, motor, transmission but nothing else... it may technically be a car... but let's be serious... ;)

just my 7 cents USD

Back