• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

excessive use of the word "rig"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdf_warrior

I know this is an odd topic, but wtf is the deal with the over use of the word "rig" to describe your computer? Who came up with this terminology? If you wanna tell me about your "computer" or your "machine" fine. I just personally think "rig" is a stupid term to describe a computer. Guess thats for all the l337 |-|4><0R's. :) Anyone else agree?

Words to describe your "rig"...

Beast , box, PC, hard drive, computer, tower, desktop, system..I can't think of any others

Makes it sound less nerdy? Come on.. really... Pretty much, if you like computers enough to be on ocforums making posts... YOUR A NERD. I know I am, I've come to terms with it. I dont try to mask it by using non-nerdy terminology :)

Dictionary.com said:
rig   /rɪg/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rig] Show IPA Pronunciation
verb, rigged, rig⋅ging, noun
–verb (used with object) 1. Chiefly Nautical. a. to put in proper order for working or use.
b. to fit (a ship, mast, etc.) with the necessary shrouds, stays, etc.
c. to fit (shrouds, stays, sails, etc.) to the mast, yard, or the like.

2. to furnish or provide with equipment, clothing, etc.; fit (usually fol. by out or up).
3. to assemble, install, or prepare (often fol. by up).
4. to manipulate fraudulently: to rig prices.
–noun 5. the arrangement of the masts, spars, sails, etc., on a boat or ship.
6. apparatus for some purpose; equipment; outfit; gear: a hi-fi rig; Bring your rod and reel and all the rest of your fishing rig.
7. Also called drill rig. the equipment used in drilling an oil well.
8. any combination trucking unit in which vehicles are hooked together, as a tractor-trailer.
9. any kind of truck.
10. a carriage, buckboard, sulky, or wagon together with the horse or horses that draw it.
11. Informal. costume or dress, esp. when odd or conspicuous, or when designated for a particular purpose: He looks quite nifty in a butler's rig.

It is our computer equipment, our gear. Our vehicle to the internet. It is also easy to type. ;)

It feels a little weird to me when I use it a lot, but it fits, and I can't think of another synonym to use that wouldn't sound weirder when used as much.

Guess I'm just odd.. I personally prefer system, box, machine, or computer to describe my "rig". Its just kinda stuck in my head.. ya drill for oil on a rig.. that fact that some of these guys stare at pron all day on their COMPUTER, doesn't qualify it to be a rig :) hehe

Makes it sound less nerdy? Come on.. really... Pretty much, if you like computers enough to be on ocforums making posts... YOUR A NERD. I know I am, I've come to terms with it. I dont try to mask it by using non-nerdy terminology :)

hehe true true

Also when people use the term rig you can pretty much assume they built it. Definition #3 from Torin nails it for me personally.

definition #3 would be used as a verb. like you would "rig something up" so it works. macgyver was great at "rigging" things. :)

i knew a lady at work that referred to her minivan as her "rig." epic fail in my book.

It's never bothered me for people to call it that though I don't. But I do call my Bass amp and cabs my "rig"

As ripped from Webster's

Webster's said:
Main Entry: 1rig
Pronunciation:
\ˈrig\
Function:
transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
rigged; rig·ging
Etymology:
probably back-formation from rigging
Date:
15th century
1: to fit out (as a ship) with rigging
2: clothe , dress —usually used with out
3: to furnish with special gear : equip
4 a: to put in condition or position for use : adjust , arrange <a car rigged for manual control> b: construct <rig up a temporary shelter>

I'd say "rig" is quite fitting :beer:

Edit - Original source page: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rig

I rig my rig with all the best riggings. That way when my rig competes against the other rigs for the riggingest rig, my rig is the riggingest!

Now all this rigging, of the word rigging, within the words that we rig together to make a sentence, is getting quite uneccesary.

rig. one syllable. a verb. very simple for us simple folks to use.

like shake n' bake. two verbs, each one syllable. they go well together.

1, 3 and 4 of websters works for me (never heard of rig applied to clothing) ... cause im always "jerry rigging" something in my computer as are most of us tho the term we like to use for that is "modding" ... so to me rig in all its forms is in these forums, at least, is quite appropriate

In a topic related to computing I recognize "rig" as just another synonym for computer. Same with "box", "machine", "beast", and probably others that I can't remember right now.

How about someone that did a semi truck "big rig" mod to their computer case? "This thar is my riiig." Honk honk!

Rig is one of them nomenclatures that has been a around for a long time now.

Myself I use the word depending on what I am describing for computers. Not as an end all term. Like when I say "she is giving me issue." / The rig is working good. / My system is up and running. / The machine needs parts. / I am going to install a new doohickey in or near abouts on my rig. / My 8 bit modem makes my rig faster on usenet. / We need to rig out eternal September. So our speeds are faster and less stupid users.

:beer:

Last edited:
Back