• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600, temps and volts question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yomny

i've manage to get my q6600 @3ghz with a vcore of +.1 in bios which aknowing my VID is 1.32 that sets me at 1.42.. most of the other settings are auto except cpu GTL 65 and FSB term 25. I've gotten the q6600 at 3.2 but not stable and i've hit voltages of 1.48 and NB 1.47 SB 1.6 still cpu gtl 65and fsb term 25. Today i ran a stress test in everest and my temps hit 68 or so which i dont like.. my question is can the heat cause the stress test to fail, or stop? What do you suggest as far as voltages go that i should use for a stable 3.2, my QRD FSB is 1421 which gets it at 3197 so almost 3200mhz. I could post some bios shots if needed to see my voltage setting options.. Im running my ram linked and the bios sets a weird divider and runs the ddr800 at around 790 so i dont think my ram is the problem(im able to boot, get to windows, run stress tests and even some benchys).. Before i ran the ram unlinked set at 800 but never really was able to get to 3.2ghz
Thanks for your help. I know there are a lot of different q6600 and msi p7n overclocking threafs out there, i've read them all and as you all may know everyones pc will overlcock differently.. so no one elses settings i've tried work

68 degrees is fine for the hardy 65nm quads... as long as load temps dont go above 80 for extended periods of time you will be fine, Tjmax for your chip is 100 so general rule is to keep 20 degrees below it....

in help for your other questions... can you post a cpu-z screenie?

i will do so tonight when i get home.. im running Vista HP 32 bit.. mobo is in the sig along with my other hardware.. Multpi 9*355.25(1421QDR FSB) My vcore is set to +0.178 and my VID is 1.32 so im running in cpuz 1.48vcore and drops to 1.44 under load. With 68F ambient temps under full load the temps average 62c for the cpu. My ram (ddr800)i have it linked and it has been running at around 790 with the volts on auto which sets them right at 1.9 which is what they're rated at. I can only link the ram and the bios sets the devider or unlink and i set the ram speed.. but i was able to hit the 3.2 linked.
anything else you may need to know please let me know, i really appreicate your help.

68 degrees is fine for the hardy 65nm quads... as long as load temps dont go above 80 for extended periods of time you will be fine, Tjmax for your chip is 100 so general rule is to keep 20 degrees below it....

in help for your other questions... can you post a cpu-z screenie?
80C is way too high. The thermal spec. on the Q6600 G0 is 71C. So you want to keep load temps below that.

what happens when you actually hit the thermal threshold? mine bluescreens usually in between 70-75c. im not sure if its from the heat, or from the voltage (1.6v cpu ovp kicks in @ 1.65v), or the speed. (usually around 3950mhz :bang head )

well heres a link to the cpuz validation it booted and i've been around windows but is not really stable, cpuz voltage reads 1.47v
How do i know when to bump the vcore or the NB voltage or for that matter the SB.. i have NB at 1.5 and the SB 1.55

Is it possible for the thermal threshold to drop to only 55C MAX if overvolting?

I heard that you can crash at just a TINY BIT higher than 131 F, at least with earlier chips that are being overvolted.

well after several crashes and no stability in everest i set it back to 3ghz where i get a good hour plus (i stopped the test)stability in everest.. and my temps are peaking 58c. I dont know if vista runs hotter but man i use to run 3.2 at around 62c average and today i could barely get that at 3.15ghz or even a bit lower.

Last edited:
what happens when you actually hit the thermal threshold? mine bluescreens usually in between 70-75c. im not sure if its from the heat, or from the voltage (1.6v cpu ovp kicks in @ 1.65v), or the speed. (usually around 3950mhz :bang head )
The CPU wont actually turn off at 71C. I'm sure the shutdown point is much higher. I know the P4s didn't shut automatically shut off till the 100C range. (had that happen with a 3.0E on accident)

It sounds like the reason you get blue screens is due to instability, not temps. I never had a problem running that kind of voltage through my quad for benching purposes. I stayed at 3.8Ghz with 1.5v with temps just below 70C for 24/7. Unless you go sub-zero I'd say you've reached your limit.

Is it possible for the thermal threshold to drop to only 55C MAX if overvolting?

I heard that you can crash at just a TINY BIT higher than 131 F, at least with earlier chips that are being overvolted.
The thermal spec. is posted by Intel.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACR

55C under load is perfectly fine. The only reason system would crash at that point is due to instability. More voltage usually corrects that problem.

well after several crashes and no stability in everest i set it back to 3ghz where i get a good hour plus (i stopped the test)stability in everest.. and my temps are peaking 58c. I dont know if vista runs hotter but man i use to run 3.2 at around 62c average and today i could barely get that at 3.15ghz or even a bit lower.
Have you tried using CoreTemp to measure temps and Prime95 for stability testing?

i have tried many, the NB from 1.3-1.6, the SB from 1.35-1.6, the Vcore anywhere from +.1 to .23 which set me at 1.5v and well the cpu gtl at 65 and fsb term at 25.. What im noticing is that i cant get anything above 3.0 wiithout gettin the vcore above 1.48 and well the temps seem to get on the high 60's so im going to have to look either into another mobo which is more stable at lower voltages or a water cooling kit.

Well it seems that my cpu needs a demand for voltage in order to over clock and my current zalman 9700 with antec 900 is not sufficient.. so i will have to improve on the cooling.

Back